Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 swap, Project Loyale

cmiller

It has begun... I got home from Subiefest a day early (late last night) so I decided to start the EJ22 swap.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1728

got the EA82 engine out.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1729

got a little bit of clean up to do and need to put in the new power steering rack. Old one leaked all over.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1730

EJ22 ready to go in and the EA on the floor in the background. I'm going to get the EA82 on the stand and rebuild it this winter with new seals, gaskets and belts all around.

Still runs great so if anyone is in need of a freshly re-built EA82 complete long block including the one of a kind Perrin intake on it, I will have it ready to sell this winter.:brow:

More pics of my progress to come, this is all I could do today.

Today work came first so all I could do was take the EA radiator over to Mac's Radiator to have EJ sized hose inlets brazed on. Tomorrow I'll have more time to work on it. Planning to pull the drivers side fender and front bumper off to get access to the wiring harness and prep for the switch to the EJ harness. More pics coming tomorrow.

Today I got the engine in and all bolted up to the transmission

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1736

Fit in there just right and lined up perfectly. The EJ motor mounts dropped right in the EA engine cross member perfectly.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1737

Tomorrow I'm picking up the EA radiator with the EJ inlets brazed on. Then I'll see what my fan situation is looking like. Lots of work to do still in between work days. I still have to hook up all of the vacuum lines, fuel lines, intake, power steering, etc... and also remove the old wiring harness and splice in the new one. Hopefully I'll get to start this up by Sunday!

I recently got a motor from http://www.mttechsuba.com/ Mountain Tech Subaru in Oregon City that has 90,000 miles on it originally from a '92 Legacy wagon. :banana:

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1627

So how much did Mountain Tech take ya for on the motor? I know they can be a bit on the pricey side. Very nice employees though:)

I did this same swap on my 1982 hatch a little of a year ago. If you want to stop by and take a look at anything let me know. (I know it's 2 different generation of body styles, but if it help let me know.)

Good luck and so far you're off to a great start.

Looks clean!

What motor mounts do you have? Keep an eye on them once you get it running. I split a set of round liquid ones, and a set of normal square ones between my 2 EJ swapped cars. Both rock groupN mounts now with no issues.

You will probably need to use 2 hoses for the lower radiator connection. I ended up finding one that had a nice 90* bend in it to have come right off the radiator and point down, then I had a copper tubing coupler, then I believe I connected a stock EJ hose to that, but I could be wrong... It was a while ago.

I put a 10" fan on the front of the radiator, behind the grill. Works great, and it keeps the engine bay looking nice and clean/open looking.

Your car looks great, keep up the good work!

So how much did Mountain Tech take ya for on the motor? I know they can be a bit on the pricey side. Very nice employees though:)

I did this same swap on my 1982 hatch a little of a year ago. If you want to stop by and take a look at anything let me know. (I know it's 2 different generation of body styles, but if it help let me know.)

Good luck and so far you're off to a great start.

I got a good price on the motor and a 3 month warranty. I agree, great guys there. :)

Looks clean!

What motor mounts do you have? Keep an eye on them once you get it running. I split a set of round liquid ones, and a set of normal square ones between my 2 EJ swapped cars. Both rock groupN mounts now with no issues.

You will probably need to use 2 hoses for the lower radiator connection. I ended up finding one that had a nice 90* bend in it to have come right off the radiator and point down, then I had a copper tubing coupler, then I believe I connected a stock EJ hose to that, but I could be wrong... It was a while ago.

I put a 10" fan on the front of the radiator, behind the grill. Works great, and it keeps the engine bay looking nice and clean/open looking.

Your car looks great, keep up the good work!

Do you have any pics you could send me on the rad hoses and fans?

This afternoon I started pulling out the old EA harness and sorting what needs to stay and what needs to go. Also began hooking up the EJ harness to everything.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1744

Tomorrow Scoobyclimbs is coming over to lend a hand. Hopefully we'll be able to fire it up by the end of the day!:slobber:

oh yah also i used a 24"flexible hose for lower hose and 19" flexible with a 90*on one end got them at napa and adapters for size dif

Good idea. I got the EJ sized inlets brazed on the EA radiator. Now its just a matter of finding the right hoses with the right kind of bends in them to make it fit.

I'm also trying to keep the AC so making the rad fans work is a bit more challenging but it looks to be doable.

I have the engine in and all hooked up now. But the stupid wiring is killing me.:mad: I haven't been able to start it up yet because the wiring is taking for ever. I am having a hard time finding the right wires on my Loyale to tie in the EJ harness to. Also the EJ harness seems too short to go around the fender well to under the dash. :banghead:

If anyone in the Portland area that has done a similar EA to EJ swap on a Loyale/GL EA82 etc... is available to help out I would greatly appreciate it. I just need to know which wires to tie in to on the EA harness, where they are located specifically in the mess of wires under the dash, and how people have routed the EJ harness in to the firewall and under the dash. Also EJ ECU mounting ideas? (lots of zip ties I'm guessing). I've tried reading the pin outs and wiring diagrams but its like reading Chinese. I'm willing to learn so if anyone has any helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

pull your gauge cluster out. you should be able to find most of the wires you need there with this diagram:

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/FSMs/Loyale%20Instrument%20Panel%20Wiring.pdf

and get the 12v switched and starter signal right from the ignition switch.

I didn't modify the lengths at all, so there should be enough to get it under the dash pretty well. easiest way is to separate it into the 2 halves (pull the SMJ apart, big square one with the bolt through it), and then re-assemble once it's all under the dash.

pull your gauge cluster out. you should be able to find most of the wires you need there with this diagram:

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/FSMs/Loyale%20Instrument%20Panel%20Wiring.pdf

and get the 12v switched and starter signal right from the ignition switch.

I didn't modify the lengths at all, so there should be enough to get it under the dash pretty well. easiest way is to separate it into the 2 halves (pull the SMJ apart, big square one with the bolt through it), and then re-assemble once it's all under the dash.

Thanks Chux,

The PDF for the Loyale is a great help. I just thought that since on the Legacy, part of the harness went through the firewall in the middle of the engine compartment instead of through the fender. So to me it looked short from the factory not from your modification. I'll see if I can snug it up and get it through the fender wall. So this pin out is from the plugs that plug in to the back of the gauge cluster not the mess under the dash? If so that makes it a ton easier to cope with. What did you get this pin out from? Haynes, Chilton, or Service Manual?

Thanks again for your help.