Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-22 swap, Project Loyale

cmiller

The last thing I need to do is to figure out the temp gauge. Has anyone wired in the 275 Ohm resistor to make the temp gauge read accurately? I tested an EJ thermistor and it read about 2000 Ohms versus the EA read at 800 Ohms. Any thoughts on this? I know Numbchux put in the write up that it could work on paper.

What have you done for your temp gauge to read accurately?

I believe he is still waiting for that answer... as are many of us. Perhaps one of these days somebody will get to it before me (putting the 275 Ohm resistor in), but if not, it will most likely be sometime in the spring before I get to mine... (EJ swap, that is.)

I believe he is still waiting for that answer... as are many of us. Perhaps one of these days somebody will get to it before me (putting the 275 Ohm resistor in), but if not, it will most likely be sometime in the spring before I get to mine... (EJ swap, that is.)

I'm just going to do it this weekend and see what happens. Radio Shack should have something...

just wire it up as-is, and re train your brain. the gauge functions, you can still tell when the car is warming up, up to temperature, and overheating. just in a different place on the gauge.

but if you try the resistor, I would love to hear how it goes. mathematically, it should work fine. and doesn't look too hard to do, but I don't remember anyone actually doing it.

just wire it up as-is, and re train your brain. the gauge functions, you can still tell when the car is warming up, up to temperature, and overheating. just in a different place on the gauge.

but if you try the resistor, I would love to hear how it goes. mathematically, it should work fine. and doesn't look too hard to do, but I don't remember anyone actually doing it.

Today I was able to find a 300 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor but no 275's. So I guess tomorrow I'll try to wire in the resistor and see how much better the gauge reads.

radio shack does have the 275's. You can also use two 150 ohms in series and it should make a 300 with slightly lower voltage.

I've used resistors to fake out GM Vat's security systems and they usually require a 1.7k ohm resister (they dont make one that size so you have to use 2 smaller resistors and you are allowed a 10% +/- different on ohms for it to still function.

radio shack does have the 275's. You can also use two 150 ohms in series and it should make a 300 with slightly lower voltage.

I've used resistors to fake out GM Vat's security systems and they usually require a 1.7k ohm resister (they dont make one that size so you have to use 2 smaller resistors and you are allowed a 10% +/- different on ohms for it to still function.

I went to two different Radio Shack stores and Fry's Electronics and neither had a 275 Ohm resistor, the closest I could get was 270 Ohms. I'll try that and we'll see what happens.

I am interested in doing this on my 88 GL10. Has any body done it with an Auto AWD, thats what my Gl10 is.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, Kevin:grin:

I will go ahead and be nice here :rolleyes: If you use the search function, it will get you a lot farther. What transmission do you have the 4 speed or the 3 speed, if it's the 4 speed it's the 4EAT and there is a thread start regarding that here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100399

It's still on the first page of the forum also, about 10-12 topics down :rolleyes: If it's the 3 speed, search for it ;) Good luck

What kind of performance improvement have you noticed? I have an 87 gl wagon with the ea82 right now, polished and ported heads, custom dual exhaust and converted from fuel injection to 2 barrol weber. It performs better than the gl-10 (turbo) i used to have. I was tempted for a while to convert it to all wheel, but i love the high/low.

About a year ago i was coming home to San Diego from Bend, OR and they closed the pass on I-5 at the Oregon/California border. I went around the baracade and drove straight through, 40 miles at 40 MPH, pushing 2 feet of snow, pulling people out along the way, it was a BLAST!!

Oh yeah, 4 wheel disk brakes an posi trak rear end. :)

Do you have any pics of what you did for the y-pipe? Does it all fit in there nicely, or did you have to somehow space it down like numbchux write-up says...? I've noticed I'm hitting the transmission crossmember just a bit on my EA82...but it's the heat shield on the catalytic converter, so I'm thinking I might just be able to take a hammer to it...

Do you have any pics of what you did for the y-pipe? Does it all fit in there nicely, or did you have to somehow space it down like numbchux write-up says...? I've noticed I'm hitting the transmission crossmember just a bit on my EA82...but it's the heat shield on the catalytic converter, so I'm thinking I might just be able to take a hammer to it...

Using the factory EJ22 y-pipe with no problems.

What kind of performance improvement have you noticed? I have an 87 gl wagon with the ea82 right now, polished and ported heads, custom dual exhaust and converted from fuel injection to 2 barrol weber. It performs better than the gl-10 (turbo) i used to have. I was tempted for a while to convert it to all wheel, but i love the high/low.

About a year ago i was coming home to San Diego from Bend, OR and they closed the pass on I-5 at the Oregon/California border. I went around the baracade and drove straight through, 40 miles at 40 MPH, pushing 2 feet of snow, pulling people out along the way, it was a BLAST!!

Oh yeah, 4 wheel disk brakes an posi trak rear end. :)

Well,... the obvious of 50 more HP is one things I noticed, now I can use 5th gear on the freeway going up hills. No more leaky, gutless, old crappy designed EA82 technology under the hood. All good things!

Hey Cmiller,

What was the outcome on the gauge, did you get it to read correctly?

Later Bro

Sorry, I've been sick this last weekend and now just playing catch up with work. I'll get to it this weekend and let everyone know.

Edited by cmiller

Using the factory EJ22 y-pipe with no problems.

Let us split hairs on this one...

You have the header section of a later model 2.5 "Y" pipe. Then, you had a custom exhaust installed after the header (at the factory flange), including a new catalytic converter, mid pipe, and muffler... Kudos to your exhaust guy by the way, it looks great.

The particular header you used is from 1995 model year 2.2 engine (to 5-95 says the parts book) and all 2.5 up through 1999. EJ22s went to a single port exhaust for the 1996-2001 model years. If this later engine is used, just get the single port exhaust header.

L

You have the header section of a later model 2.5 "Y" pipe. Then, you had a custom exhaust installed after the header (at the factory flange), including a new catalytic converter, mid pipe, and muffler... Kudos to your exhaust guy by the way, it looks great.

The particular header you used is from 1995 model year 2.2 engine (to 5-95 says the parts book) and all 2.5 up through 1999. EJ22s went to a single port exhaust for the 1996-2001 model years. If this later engine is used, just get the single port exhaust header.

L

You would definitely know best, thanks for the info!:)

L

you sure on the single port header only on the 96+ 2.2's?

i have a 95 legacy that is still on the original motor (as far as I can tell anyways) that's a single port. my old 96 legacy 2.2 had the dual port header. I've also worked on a few later model 2.2 cars (96-99 leggys'/foresters) that have been dual port and I'd find it hard to believe that all had either replacement motors or heads on them...

you sure on the single port header only on the 96+ 2.2's?

i have a 95 legacy that is still on the original motor (as far as I can tell anyways) that's a single port. my old 96 legacy 2.2 had the dual port header. I've also worked on a few later model 2.2 cars (96-99 leggys'/foresters) that have been dual port and I'd find it hard to believe that all had either replacement motors or heads on them...

yea, '95 is hard to predict. most are dual-port. but I have seen a few with single.

but yea, all '96+ 2.2s had single port. I have never, ever, seen an exception.

yea, '95 is hard to predict. most are dual-port. but I have seen a few with single.

The only thing I can say about a 95 EJ22 with a factory single port exhaust is that it might be a California emissions model. I am not savvy in the ways of federal and CA emissions junk and their particular years of differences though. Perhaps somebody here (USMB) either in a parts department, state emissions program or other similar entity could shine some more light on this.

It could also simply be Subaru's production date break down for the 95-96 transition. Who knows?.... it could be a matter a semantics, if you will. After 5/95 Subaru may have considered that to be a 1996 Model year. While industry standards (a very loose interpretation) seem to be 8/95 and later get the 1996 model year designation. While this is not set in stone, every manufacturer can say what year their car is no matter the production date.

Either way, it would be nice to figure out what the breakdown is...

Edited by 2.5GL
content

but yea, all '96+ 2.2s had single port. I have never, ever, seen an exception.

I've worked on a few 96 and 97 Legacy Brightons that had dual ports, original motors (I checked the numbers because of the dual ports)

Brightons were built in Japan, whereas the up level Legacy and Outbacks were built in Indiana. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

On a side note, I have seen lots of 96+ EJ18s in Imprezas, all with dual ports, and I think all with roller rockers(which early dual port 2.2s do not have)

They might be valuable for doing a 2.5>2.2 swap. Use EJ18 heads, with the roller rockers AND dual ports. The 2.2 manifold bolts right on.

On a side note, I have seen lots of 96+ EJ18s in Imprezas, all with dual ports, and I think all with roller rockers(which early dual port 2.2s do not have)

They might be valuable for doing a 2.5>2.2 swap. Use EJ18 heads, with the roller rockers AND dual ports. The 2.2 manifold bolts right on.

Net gain is higher compression, correct? How well do they flow though?

Edited by 2.5GL