Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble reinstalling tie rod end

I took off my knuckles to replace the bearings. Now that I'm trying to reassemble everything, I'm finding that when I put the tie rod end back in the steering knuckle and try to tighten down the little castle nut, the whole ball joint stud thing spins around in place! Any tips on how to tighten it down without breaking anything? I'm tempted to put pliers around the boot, but I'm pretty sure that will break something.

Thanks.

Jacob

put a jack underneath the tie rod and press up on the tie rod, forcing it into the hub, that's the simplest way. or hit it with an impact wrench. or try and clean the threads with a tap and die set so it can thread on easier.

Thanks. I'm not in front of my Brat right now, but I don't really see how any of those suggestions will keep the stud from spinning in place. It's already in the hub, and I already tried the impact wrench.

Jacob

Thanks. I'm not in front of my Brat right now, but I don't really see how any of those suggestions will keep the stud from spinning in place. It's already in the hub, and I already tried the impact wrench.

Jacob

Sounds like a buggered stud or nut. Try cleaning the threads on BOTH the nut and stud with a tap and die. Threads shouldn't be so tight that the stud spins. Last choice is replace the offending tie rod end.

Sounds like a buggered stud or nut. Try cleaning the threads on BOTH the nut and stud with a tap and die. Threads shouldn't be so tight that the stud spins. Last choice is replace the offending tie rod end.

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know the thread, would you?

Jacob

I don't really see how any of those suggestions will keep the stud from spinning in place.
easy - the pressure keeps it from spinning. With the jack under the tie rod - right under the stud, it has so much pressure on it that it won't spin. Done is zillions of times.

Should be 10x1.25 thread. Maybe 12/1.25? Lug nuts are 12x1.25 so that should tell you.

easy - the pressure keeps it from spinning. With the jack under the tie rod - right under the stud, it has so much pressure on it that it won't spin. Done is zillions of times.

Should be 10x1.25 thread. Maybe 12/1.25? Lug nuts are 12x1.25 so that should tell you.

Hmm, that worked. I don't know how, and I don't wanna know how, but it worked.

Thanks.

Jacob

It's a tapered fit, with enough pressure it's just like your hand holding a Coke bottle while screwing the cap on.

Try screwing the cap on without holding an empty bottle, won't get it tight.

Next - hold the bottle tight with your other hand and screw it on. Walla, it's tight!

Same thing, the jack puts lots of force around the stud portion that presses up into the tapered part of the hub.

It's a tapered fit, with enough pressure it's just like your hand holding a Coke bottle while screwing the cap on.

Try screwing the cap on without holding an empty bottle, won't get it tight.

Next - hold the bottle tight with your other hand and screw it on. Walla, it's tight!

Same thing, the jack puts lots of force around the stud portion that presses up into the tapered part of the hub.

It's magic. Got it:)

Jacob