Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Next time you blow a hose, don't put the rad cap on. This will keep the pressure in the system down as to not blow the tape off. You'll need to periodically stop to add more water... But you won't keep blowing the hose worse.

I will keep this in mind.. It was pretty cheap tape too.. I picked it up from shell

Noticed my BRAT muffler was getting a little more rumble today, the bottom back is blowing out on it......guess I need to search up on a replacement at some point.

Also cleaned up the battery terminals, replaced the positive end connector.

New Plugs NGK (old were 2 autolite and 2 champion) for the red turd, and a replacement dizzy, still not running good, pop pop pop on cyl sounds like from the dizzy area , maybe a new cap will fix it got one coming.

went out to do some 0-60 times in my 1988 Subaru GL-10 and blew the rear main seal. gonna pull the engine out tomorrow.

also, i ran over a snake on accident while rolling down a hill on my way home after this happened. we pushed my car about 1.5 miles and drove it at very low rpm's most of the time. we had to drive a total of 6.5 miles to get back to my house.

I will keep this in mind.. It was pretty cheap tape too.. I picked it up from shell

if you wrap it in tape, use a hose clamp over the tape to keep it from blowing off. I have done this before. also, if you are in a pinch and overheated, ask a restaurant for hot water. that way you can get water and NOT damage the engine because your pouring in 140* water, not 67* water.

Sat out in this rediculous heat wave working on the '96 Brighton. Pulled out the interior panel on the rear passenger quarter panel and popped the dent out, looks so much better. Then installed my cargo net and the needed brake pedal switch for the cruise control. Just need to track down the clutch pedal switch now.

Finally got the exhaust on the Outback redone and tucked up better. 2.25 Inch pipe from behind the cat back, no resonator and just a turbo muffler. Sounds ok and not visible anymore :banana:.

A Resonator is what will give you the depth in growl. Longer the better, 18" length is common.

It will also eliminate that raspy noise at higher RPMs.

A deeper tone but not overly loud.. when I change my headers should be a bit louder..

**AGREED** i did the muffler today..... really easy! sounds low....alot like the wrx sti muffler but a lil bit louder..... the downside?..... resonates really bad inside the car...... anybody know of anything to cut down on that? and i kinda lost a lil bottom end power ( it kinda feels like i did)

**AGREED** i did the muffler today..... really easy! sounds low....alot like the wrx sti muffler but a lil bit louder..... the downside?..... resonates really bad inside the car...... anybody know of anything to cut down on that? and i kinda lost a lil bottom end power ( it kinda feels like i did)

Drop a resonator or "hot dog" in the middle of the exhaust, this should get rid of the resonation you're hearing in the cab at cruise.

I'm thinking of going from this oval resonator (left of pic after the flexi joint):

p6070004.jpg

To something more like this for *hopefully* a "cleaner" and slightly deeper note as well as something more streamline so less to catch on under the subi but in the 2.25 inch category so it'll line up with my exhaust diametre ;)

In my latest news with Ruby Scoo, I lost the use of my clutch pedal due to something inside the bellhousing. Drove it for ~300km by rev matching before the pressure plate did this:

p7230482.jpg

p7230483.jpg

p7230485.jpg

Only took 18 months and about 50,000km for this to happen... Hopefully the next one will last longer! Parts are on their way, just waiting on post, then I'll be able to get it out of a mate's shed where I feel it's in their way as they're doing me a huge favour letting me use their space!

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah, I could see why you were having some issues with shifting.:eek:

Changed the oil and fixed the exposed wire for the CTS in the blue wagon - no more TOD and no more erratic CEL.

Installed the missing O-Ring on the power steering resivoir and fixed coolant leak on the Panda Wagon.

Drop a resonator or "hot dog" in the middle of the exhaust, this should get rid of the resonation you're hearing in the cab at cruise.

I'm thinking of going from this oval resonator (left of pic after the flexi joint):

p6070004.jpg

To something more like this for *hopefully* a "cleaner" and slightly deeper note as well as something more streamline so less to catch on under the subi but in the 2.25 inch category so it'll line up with my exhaust diametre ;)

In my latest news with Ruby Scoo, I lost the use of my clutch pedal due to something inside the bellhousing. Drove it for ~300km by rev matching before the pressure plate did this:

p7230482.jpg

p7230483.jpg

p7230485.jpg

Only took 18 months and about 50,000km for this to happen... Hopefully the next one will last longer! Parts are on their way, just waiting on post, then I'll be able to get it out of a mate's shed where I feel it's in their way as they're doing me a huge favour letting me use their space!

Cheers

Bennie

Damn! You did it BIG!

p6070004.jpg

p7230482.jpg

p7230483.jpg

p7230485.jpg

Cheers

Bennie

damn you did one hell of a job on that clutch! :eek: i think my legacy has a resonator from the factory.... or at least it looks like one...... maybe ill take a pic later and post it...... cuz i know i have two cats....but after the cat on the midpipe is a hotdog lookin thing and i thought thats what that was.... hmmmmmmmz.....just gave me suttin to do! :) thanks for the advice!

Repaired several broken traces on my rear window defroster with one of those generic "paint on" repair kits.

Seems to work well enough now, but won't be able to give it a real test for several more months.

Yes, all these 100 degree days lately are making me sort of look forward to some ice and snow. :rolleyes:

Replacing same axle AGAIN on the Brat. Only been on about a month. Can't find reciept so i guess i'll have to eat this one. The joys of older vehicles....:rolleyes:

I've been through a lot of napa crapdrive axles. Finally I have a set that hasn't had any issues... knock on wood...

Yeah, I could see why you were having some issues with shifting.:eek:

Only when you tried to use the clutch, otherwise it was rather easy!

well done, nice job of killing the clutch disc.

That will buff right out.

Damn! You did it BIG!

damn you did one hell of a job on that clutch! :eek:

Yeah after it let go it made some pretty bad noises when you tried to take off again (starting in 1st), we got it going but changing to second gear resulted in some really nasty noises and vibrations! Good times... but couldn't have happened at a worse time other than 4wd'n my way out of a sticky situation :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie

LiftedRS.jpg

lifted it 4", (1990 RS) went for first ride today, some minor issues to work out but the majority is finally done

(also changed both struts, front brake pads, oxygen sensor, right hand steering boot, installed sealed roller bearings (ty gd for that idea) , inner and outer axle seals, 'new' knuckles, the left hand control arm, outer sway bar bushings... and probably some other crap I forgot... like the exhaust manifold gaskets and the rear main seal. Schiesse, other than that...) :rolleyes: