Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Well, I haven't driven my '87 Wagon lately, but that's because the timing belt went out a short time ago. In the meantime, I did an animated cartoon thingie about it. You can do the same thing with your Subie if you wish. It's on the Subaru of America website.

Crank up your speakers to hear the surf music and the narration on my short tale of 'Little Subie - The 4WD Wagon That Could'.

I ordered the new master cylinder and the rebuilt caliper for ol' KC today, my 91 Loyale, he's been down since november, lack of funds caused a lack of parts to repair him, so hopfully soon he's gonna be back on the road.

finances are coming back under control after buying another car, and paying for some other much needed stuff....still got my trusty car though :D

I concur. At least get a red one so when you open your hood it LOOKS high performance... :rolleyes:

They were on clearance and all that was left was black. :-p

I wanted to use an XT6 flywheel when I put this car together, but I could not get one. So I used the EA82 flywheel and waited for the lightweight crank pulley to go on sale.

Edited by subynut

took my outback seats out, and installed these, along with the armrest too.

DSCF0024.jpg?t=1331848120

DSCF0023.jpg?t=1331848134

oh, and resealed the trans inout seal, axle seals, shifter seal, fixed my popping out of reverse, installed new bearings front, new rotors and pads, new trans mounts, 1 empi axle, new tie rod ends outers, and a new steering boot.

My 90 legacy L has been hurting since the water pump and timing belt job was done, i did a diagnose fixed my maf issue then i ran to the junkyard found an awesome donor car started swapping part like crazy did the crank angle sensor the spark plug distributor the ignition module the iac just need a fair condition maf car is running better but i only feel 2 gears like hi and low before we had a low med high kinda feel all parts were compatible...

Gen 2 heads finally sent off to be shaved. Bit steep at $45 a head but they are the only game in the area.

Gen1 sprayed up as olive drab, finishing out the roundel and numbering tomorrow, hope to have pictures up when the clearcoat is drying. Must say it looks right Willy's Jeep style, extremely happy with the progress. Debating on keeping authentic look of olive rims and push/roll bars, or going with black or white instead for a more clean look. Still kicking around keeping BRAT stenciled in the usual place or even swapping the USA stenciling above the serial with BRAT.

Subies birthday is going to be the serial number :banana:

Gen 2 heads finally sent off to be shaved. Bit steep at $45 a head but they are the only game in the area. ... :banana:

I was quoted $90 for base work on two Gen2 heads, here in FL. I believe the base work included hydro testing, cleaning and machining. I also got a valve job etc., and the total was $180 for the two heads. A bit steep, but worth it. Plus I provided intake and exhaust valves, sleeves, seals and keepers. Brat is finally the daily driver and I have put on 2000 miles since the HG replacement over Christmas. $90 sounds reasonable.

Tinted all my windows 20%, got some random darker blue interior things so that it isn't a sea of light blue in there anymore haha. Right now I just got an EJ22 and I'm just preparing for the swap which I'm gonna do as soon as I get out of school for summer. Gonna have to be reading USMB everday...

Changed to 15" wheels with 205/55R15:

Loaded with 8 wheels and 4 tires:

6845629816_c04fe2042c.jpg

Loaded by subynut, on Flickr

Empty:

6991757379_2d762dd7b9.jpg

Unloaded by subynut, on Flickr

They don't rub in the back when loaded like the WRX wheels did and I'm closer to stock tire size so the tranny will be happier with my lead foot.

Thinking of putting an STi muffler on, anybody installed one on an EA82 chassis?

Changed to 15" wheels with 205/55R15:

Loaded with 8 wheels and 4 tires:

6845629816_c04fe2042c.jpg

Loaded by subynut, on Flickr

Empty:

6991757379_2d762dd7b9.jpg

Unloaded by subynut, on Flickr

They don't rub in the back when loaded like the WRX wheels did and I'm closer to stock tire size so the tranny will be happier with my lead foot.

Thinking of putting an STi muffler on, anybody installed one on an EA82 chassis?

damn you make me want to do the five lug swap!

Also that wrx plan sounds sick! I want to hear it and would love to know how it would work cause i want a sweeter sound out of my car

Well my old girl finally runs again! Had to fight with the timing for a couple days after doing the headgaskets due to my stuffing the distributor back in a tooth off.

Next up is replacing/upgrading the suspension and finding some tires a little shorter.

damn you make me want to do the five lug swap!

Also that wrx plan sounds sick! I want to hear it and would love to know how it would work cause i want a sweeter sound out of my car

Yeah, I like the look of this setup better. The wheels don't blend in with the body in pictures anymore. And with the added bonus of no rubbing on the coil spring in the rear, I can now lower it a little to help improve the handling on the RallyX and AutoX.

For me, the biggest advantage doing the 5-lug swap is better braking. It makes a huge difference. Front suspension options are also a plus and with the plethora of wheel options, I can get a wheel that fits my preference.

I currently have a thrush glasspack and a magnaflow straight thru muffler. It sounds ok and serves it's purpose, but I want something different.

Duct taped my pass. side rear window on Xandra, as some idiot shot it out while I was driving down the road.

Didn't find the guy (lucky for him) but now I have a duct taped window and have to replace it before the police get on my tail about it.

Replaced a wheel bearing and its growling already, less than 3k later.

Put a 12v 4 way splitter with switches in and it makes charging everybody's phones so much easier.

That's about it for now.

The BRAT will be getting a new exhaust and a new axle soon.

Can't wait to be a roarin' down the road again. That reminds me.

I need to fix the shift linkage before it gets too much worse.

Twitch

Drove mine a bunch today! So glad to have her back! Also threw the 13"s back on while I wait for the tires for my pugs to get here.

Also made one little tweak, wasn't sure if it would work at first, but it was an old trick I learned on my Toyota. The leads for the turn signal and the corner marker/parking lights use the same plug. I switched which one plugged in where so now I have nice amber fog lights in the bumper and my turn signals can be seen from somewhere other than straight in front of me.

Ripped out the gen1's seats and carpet today. Fortunate enough to turn up considerable rust not previously seen, and I dont know a lick about welding. Quite a few holes from the middle of the seat area up to the firewall and most of the carpet was still damp underneath for some reason.

Hoping to try hot wiring next weekend to see if the wiring/engine are worth keeping or go for an engine swap. Just got orders to Japan so my fleet is going to stay with the folks but I need to get them all driveable before the move. If I wasnt so paranoid about Japanese motor regulations I would bring my blue roo up with me, but I am content to take the Outback :)

Bed liner and rims painted are next up. Pictures to come once weather lets me finish the stenciling on the body.