Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I don't understand why people get those fancy expensive batteries. what's the point? It starts up and runs, why upgrade your battery?

If you live in an area with a lot of cold and/or dry you may want a battery that is sure to start and/or not dry up if you let it sit too long. Mostly cold, though. If it is sealed properly, outside humidity shouldn't have a dramatic affect.

*Runs downstairs to check the battery water*

If you live in an area with a lot of cold and/or dry you may want a battery that is sure to start and/or not dry up if you let it sit too long. Mostly cold, though. If it is sealed properly, outside humidity shouldn't have a dramatic affect.

*Runs downstairs to check the battery water*

Also along with the cold you have enough juice to run your heater ALOT and not have drastic power loss, more lights on your car etc. Its about how much your draining, and not to over stress a cheep battery or else you will have to buy a new one sooner down the road.

Drove mine a bunch today! So glad to have her back! Also threw the 13"s back on while I wait for the tires for my pugs to get here.

Also made one little tweak, wasn't sure if it would work at first, but it was an old trick I learned on my Toyota. The leads for the turn signal and the corner marker/parking lights use the same plug. I switched which one plugged in where so now I have nice amber fog lights in the bumper and my turn signals can be seen from somewhere other than straight in front of me.

Napa has orange bulbs that will fit those corner lights, I did a similar thing and spent most of a day hunting the damn bulbs. I can dig out the part number (aka pull the bulb and eyeball the code) if you haven't done that last bit yet.

Hadn't thought about wiring the parking lights to the old turn signals, I am hunting for real fog lights but that will be a little something in the meanwhile!

around here, batteries last an average of about 3 years.

fcac-battery-life-expectancy-map.jpg

I don't have an Optima, but for about the same money as Autozone's top of the line, I got O'Reilly's supreme/super start w'ever battery (I think it's made by DEKA ?) which is some kinda advanced technology (AGM with silver ?) and a true zero maintenance. There is no way to add or check the electrolyte. (And less corrosion on top so far) Very long replacement and pro-rate warranty too. So far, it's been fine.

Other folks that are into motorsports want lightweight batteries. And, as mentioned some folks might have high-demand accessories. So, there could be good reasons to 'upgrade' for some folks.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I started my ea81 motor build :banana:

Worked with lyter1983, and was able to get a motor shipped UPS ground :lol: And it even survived the trip!

I had it shipped to my work, and it arrived today. Yay!

newmotor01.JPG

newmotor02.JPG

newmotor03.JPG

newmotor04.JPG

Let the tear-down fun begin:burnout:

Does an intake valve spring on the head on the left appear to be installed wrong???

I don't think so, lightings just messing with us. if anything is it's the spring on the second left but still it probably just rotated. However I'm a noob and you more than likely see something I don't even see haha

Or Nine months of ownership, whichever comes first... ;) Just breakin' ur balls a little bit. :rolleyes:

Finally got my 1996 Legacy 5MT with 2.5 frankenmotor together. Engine runs strong and smooth, was surprised how easily it all came together. Resealed the engine and replaced the clutch as long as the engine was out. Ready for another 100,000 miles.