Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Sold one Subaru

The other Subau received a test drive and another is coming to buy in the AM....

Bye bye Subaru people..

Oh yeah? Moving on from Subarus are we? Gonna have to unload your EA81 goodies on me when I buy the wheels :D

I removed the hood pins on the ski wagon today and installed a correct, working Hood latch with good handle. Hood closes like butter now.

My nephew came over tonight with his entourage of able bodied teenagers and went to work on my car, and pretty much got most of it back together in short order.

I still need to paint the caliper and brake booster, will try to get that done next week, but here's what it looks like so far with freshly painted parts.

th_101_2491.jpg th_101_2490.jpg

it's been really slow going, cause of a little bit lack of parts and funds, lack of ambition, sore back, old age ....thank god for nephews :D

now I can get back to work on this ....

th_101_2492.jpg

Edited by Stubies Subie

1980 DL

New front cv's, hubs, air filter, oil pan gasket, oil filter, valve cover gaskets, ripped entire interior out, need to finish welding hood brackets and some floor holes up, then she will be ready for bed liner on the floor. got a new hood. and just got done rebuilding the carb. oh and lifted her up.

Cut rust out:

IMG_4214.jpg

Welded new metal in:

IMG_4222.jpg

The whole bottom of the rocker pretty much had to be cut out. Then had to fabricate new support thingies to strengthen it, and weld in new metal.

PITA. It's the last stretch of de-rusting my car though. Hopefully then it'll pass inspection and be roadworthy again :)

I didn't see any point in recreating the pinch weld. It doesn't surve any purpose, really. I mean, stock form there's the body that bends down, the rocker that bends down, and the bit of sheet metal in the middle that sandwiches. Obviously that makes it nice and stiff so you can jack the car there and it supports the whole weight of the car. And it's a nice rigid construction. But I always end up bending that damn thing over on the side and whatnot.

So here I welded a bit of metal from the rocker right to the bottom of the floorpan. In the middle I have 3/16" flat stock ever few inches going up and down to make it as rigid as stock. Without cutting it completely apart I couldn't reconstruct it like stock. It should do just fine.

Put new wiper blades all the way around on the wife's OBW. Trico exactfit on the fron, a cheap Anco on the back.

Put a Trico exactfit 14-b on the back of my WRX - looks awesome. Put refills in the 08 STI aero blades I run on the front. Kinda fiddly but much cheaper than the whole blade.

Got all the stuff ready for maintenance next month. We don't put a lot of miles on the cars so I do fluid changes and other related stuff in April and October.

I'm not sure how this happened, but Sunday, both front outer CV boots failed within like, a mile of one another. :confused: Pulled them out and had them rebooted, and re-installed them. All set for Saturday's Tucson RallyCross II! :banana:

Was that easy? I need to replace my passenger front cv axle soon and have it sitting in my room. want to get it done in like an hour?

Was that easy? I need to replace my passenger front cv axle soon and have it sitting in my room. want to get it done in like an hour?

The overall process of pulling out the axle and reinstalling it is really not complicated at all. Pull the knuckle out of the lower ball joint, pull the axle off the tranny, and pull the axle out of the knuckle. Installation is reverse. The hardest part is getting the axle out of the knuckle. Sometimes they can get really stuck and you sit there beating on it with a big 'ol fat hammer. The cone washer can also get stuck and be a pain to get loose too. So yes, stupid easy. :)