Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Started the parts swap with the donor wagon. I originaly bought it for the engine with half the miles as mine. I now have a working rear wiper and a slightly dented fender (as opposed to the fender with huge rust holes.) Can't wait to get the engine in without TOD. I have been driving it for two years ticking but it is time for improvements. I can then address the ticking engine when time and money aren't so rare.

heres my hatch stuck in the ice. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/img0095wq.jpg/

heres the hatch i had on my car http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/img0098kv.jpg/

heres my hatch back on my car and wired up http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img0099c.jpg

then the glass back in its rightful place http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/img0101qi.jpg/

and some alloys i need to refinish in lake blue http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img0100zut.jpg/

now everything works!!!!! rear defrost ftw!

how do i post pics?..

Edited by AKghandi

Currently taking my Outback on a cross country trip.. Front struts getting swapped when I return. Got to spend the morning cleaning the dog's diarrhea out of the front and back. Between the seats and on the carpet.. FML. Woo day one of a two week trip x_x

Pick N Pull San Antonio and possibly Dallas again next week :D report to follow.

it wont let me ad photos from my camera i guess there too big??

how do i post pics? i tried posting some and adding them to a message as "attachments" but i didnt work

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Host them on an image site first, or even upload them to facebook. After that, then we can go from there.

what have i done to my Subaru lately

this - STi steering wheel with airbag (well it's a dummy airbag =o))

and new seats \/

pic_0189-0.jpg?r=t

Does the EJ wheel just directly bolt up?

Since I doubt it... what mods did you do to make that work?

That's pretty awesome. If I didn't have a grant I'd be putting a leather legacy GT wheel in mine.

Installed a replacement ignition switch (Thanks Ed!). Was using the ol'dangler pictured below.

IMG_0009.jpg

looks worse than it actually was.

IMG_0011.jpg

Wife got me a spare tire cover.

IMG_0006.jpg

Got some new tires.

IMG_0003.jpg

I definitly need a new cluster ring. Pretty badly cracked.

IMG_0012.jpg

And unfortunatly i may need a new instrument cluster.Also have to fix my steering wheel pad. Manual said to just pull it off. Old plastic snaps didn't like that.

Edited by jonas

funny i got a few pms in regards of this matter.

so, this is how it was done:

made a hub out of an old GL wheel, cut out the center of an STi wheel, clamped them together,

drilled 4 holes and then just bolted them together.

took me a few hours though =o)

before i had momo wheel installed but wanted to put it in my 01rs so i couldn't leave '86gl without any steering wheel =o)

u can fit pretty much any wheel to any car.

it just takes two of them and one has to be original

here is how it looked before

for the seats i had to customize the rails

1986subiegl6-0.jpg?r=t

Does the EJ wheel just directly bolt up?

Since I doubt it... what mods did you do to make that work?

That's pretty awesome. If I didn't have a grant I'd be putting a leather legacy GT wheel in mine.

funny i got a few pms in regards of this matter.

so, this is how it was done:

made a hub out of an old GL wheel, cut out the center of an STi wheel, clamped them together,

drilled 4 holes and then just bolted them together.

took me a few hours though =o)

before i had momo wheel installed but wanted to put it in my 01rs so i couldn't leave '86gl without any steering wheel =o)

u can fit pretty much any wheel to any car.

it just takes two of them and one has to be original

here is how it looked before

for the seats i had to customize the rails

That's a really good idea on the wheel. Makes sense, maybe someday I'll give it a try :) I have an old GL wheel.

I had to customize seat rails to get impreza seats in my GL. Just cut and welded.

Changed the oil. filled fluids. messed with my annoying passenger front wheel that is knocking. still cant find a solution. URGH!

I've had knocking issues because bad axles, bad wheel bearings, and bad cone washers. Bonus points if it's more than two :horse:

I've had knocking issues because bad axles, bad wheel bearings, and bad cone washers. Bonus points if it's more than two :horse:

replaced the axle already, inspected the cone washer and there are little knicks and gouges. I am gonna go pull it right now and take a picture.

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Edited by Moosen

Replaced the fuel return line that was venting fuel. Just the bit between the tank and the rail..

Was pointing downhill so most gas not in system. But I didn't know till the hose was off the nib..

Two spots right past the bump of the tank line fitting.. Friend felt it vibrated into that state..

Now maybe mpg and smell will improve

Later, more hose to replace the rest (if you have one leak, good odds the other hoses may be near it) and filters..

i just picked up this little beast last week. i have replaced the thermostat, new high flow water pump and a couple hoses. i also swapped out the stock muffler for one that i was using on a baja bug.

i looks as though i will be replacing the rear main seal soon as well.

to check the wheel bearings, jack up the car and wigle each wheel up and down. it is very noticeable if there is slop in the bearings they need to be replaced. i say up and down because if you wiggle side to side you may be seeing slop in the steering instead of your wheel bearings

to check the wheel bearings, jack up the car and wigle each wheel up and down. it is very noticeable if there is slop in the bearings they need to be replaced. i say up and down because if you wiggle side to side you may be seeing slop in the steering instead of your wheel bearings

If you have slop in your steering (tie rods), you should replace those too. Slop up and down can also be ball joints, check that. Really not something you want to fail on you.

If you have slop in your steering (tie rods), you should replace those too. Slop up and down can also be ball joints, check that. Really not something you want to fail on you.

Not unless you want your whole strut and knuckle to be pushed into the cab wall. ;)