Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I replaced the carrier bearing in the "swamp donkey" the drIve shaft was ridding on nothin but the steel loop.. runs and drives suprisingly well now. Now if only it werent so ugly...

"A little shoe polish fixes everything" Perhaps in this case as well?

Got another set for ya! :horse:

Head hurts from so much painting today... :banghead::drunk:

My friends 2001 Legacy GT got de-rimmed today for some painted snowflakes... took several hours as we sanded each wheel, coat of primer, 2 coats paint, 2 coats clear coat... came out really nice :banana:

Sittin on the floor:

paintedwheels.jpg

Up at the store for photo op...

wheels-2.jpg

painted2.jpg

painted.jpg

Just HAD to ruin those snowflakes with some paint didn't you.....:banghead::banghead::rolleyes:

I know, I know, it's his stuff and he can do what he wants. I just hate seeing nice and uncommon sets of wheels get rattle canned like that.

Snowflakes aren't that uncommon. They're stock on every GT model from 97 to 2004...

I've bought and sold a few sets though, they sell damn fast! I'm currently sitting on a set I got for $100, nice shape. I need to move them though, they suck for winter wheels. They get jammed with snow. I can move them for around $250 easy.

Also, the main reason I don't paint them is there's so much surface area to sand and paint. UGH!

Snowflakes aren't that uncommon. They're stock on every GT model from 97 to 2004...

I've bought and sold a few sets though, they sell damn fast! I'm currently sitting on a set I got for $100, nice shape. I need to move them though, they suck for winter wheels. They get jammed with snow. I can move them for around $250 easy.

Also, the main reason I don't paint them is there's so much surface area to sand and paint. UGH!

To start with the GT's aren't SUPER common. And then on top of that, like you said EVERYBODY wants them. It's more rare to find somebody that is willing to let go of them than just about any other stock sube wheel.

I sold a set with good tires for $600 ;)

It wasnt easy, but they look good. As for ruining them, if he likes this color on the car, he will probably get a professional powdercoat later on, the silver is just really dull... Gunmetal will be the preferred color if they get powdercoated.

To start with the GT's aren't SUPER common.

Depends what part of the country you are in. I have seen 3 GT sedans in the local junkyards, and countless Sedans and Wagons on the road, they are fairly common here. I personally like the 16" Outback alloys myself, look great on a '95 Outback! :drunk:

power washed the engine, and toped off the trany with more oil:banghead: damnd leaking seal.

Only one seal? Wow, my old one leaked from EVERY seal.

IMG_4153.jpg

The one in there now is better, both mechanically and leakly.

It's easier to keep topping it up than it is to replace the seals... That's for sure.

Did a few things for the 84 hatch over the last few days...

Changed oil for engine and tranny, replaced faulty rear defrost switch and 12V outlet, aaaannd.....

Swapped for a nissan 95 amp alternator!! :brow:

Man, that thing is so great! Probably the easiest of the bigger upgrades. (And besides my stock altie was ready to give up the ghost.)

It feels like I'm getting better spark from the plugs now too.... Just feels so much better to drive now.

This morning I had to scrape some ice off the windscreen to be able to start the car so we could use it after it had warmed up:

dsc0173hothamsnowrubysc.jpg

dsc0170hothamrubyscoo25.jpg

Got a good drop of snow today between our 400km round trip off mountain. It's 3 weeks until the official season opening but it's awesome to see this amount of snow falling already :D

It's at Mt Hotham, Victoria, Australia. I'm sure all the ski resorts are getting some good snow at the moment.

Cheers

Bennie

Fluid changes all around - RWD conversion - Fixed a vacuum leak which led to me fixing my heater... Of course it gets fixed when it's starting to be summer lol - Finally got an extension from my antenna so I can have radio - Detailed the heck outta my car... Basically the works at the moment, fixing tons of minor stuff haha

Wore myself out trying to solve a problem that didnt exist.. Fuel wasnt getting to the carb so I swapped out my fuel pump with a spare, checked out the relay, checked hoses... and promptly realized the PO had wired a toggle switch for the power to the pump :banghead::lol:

Bedlined, drilled out/threaded the broken bolts for my water pump, and finally got a belt on the sucker. Tailpipe support rusted through so PO also thought it logical to bend the tailpipe back over itself and stuff it up underneath -_- My parts vehicle's pipe is toasted too. New pipe when I can legally drive it to the shop.

A switch for the fuel pump? This is a bad idea, you don't want the fuel pump running all the time with the ignition. If you crash, or somehow get a fuel leak in the engine bay and it catches fire. You don't want the fuel pump pumping more fuel to the fire when the engine is already off.

I intend to rewire it without.. 2 separate owners.. both did it to Brats I bought. 1 gen 2 and 1 gen 1... The gen 2 they also wired the radiator fans toggle switched and had the driver door set off the car horn. People are weird.

Brat's getting a new battery. Story is as follows: Upon checking our 2008 OBS out prior to a weekend trip to UF (Gainesville, FL) last weekend, noted that the OBS (Subaru) battery was leaking slightly - no damage to the metal support etc. The plastic battery tray was doing its job. Hence transferred the relatively new Autocraft Gold (ADP) battery from the Brat into the OBS, such that we could travel. Upon return, ordered the Optima. Will install in the Brat instead.

Side note: I ordered through AMZN, but ADP has a $50 coupon on batteries, and there is also a $25 Optima rebate - form available on the Optima website. From ADP, this could be had for @$125 - $135 after coupon and rebate. Not sure rebate will be applicable to AMZN purchases, but the price is @$142 at AMZN. Battery came in excellent condition.

post-3724-136027656186_thumb.jpg