Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

while tryin to track down a clunk under the car.... and while filling my car with some coolant, my car died, got it goin on what was my fuel pumps last effort to pump, died in the street 2 houses up, where i found my IAC seemed to have also died. replaced the fuel pump in the street, luckily i had a spare in the trunk and my fuel lines werent stubborn. then i was messing with my new gauge cluster i made, didnt tighten my mechanical oil pressure gauge line enough and didnt realize it until i had atleast a quart of oil in my glove box.

aside from that debacle. i ordered a 2nd cooling fan to wire up to the original EA thermo switch for additional cooling, that showed up along with my new rear springs (Moog cc246), new radius rod bushings, just waiting on my rear shocks and i can install that good stuff. might order new trans mounts soon too.

of course, this will be put on hold as im sitting in the hospital waiting for my baby to start coming out. :drunk:

i need a clone. lol.

while tryin to track down a clunk under the car.... and while filling my car with some coolant, my car died, got it goin on what was my fuel pumps last effort to pump, died in the street 2 houses up, where i found my IAC seemed to have also died. replaced the fuel pump in the street, luckily i had a spare in the trunk and my fuel lines werent stubborn. then i was messing with my new gauge cluster i made, didnt tighten my mechanical oil pressure gauge line enough and didnt realize it until i had atleast a quart of oil in my glove box.

aside from that debacle. i ordered a 2nd cooling fan to wire up to the original EA thermo switch for additional cooling, that showed up along with my new rear springs (Moog cc246), new radius rod bushings, just waiting on my rear shocks and i can install that good stuff. might order new trans mounts soon too.

of course, this will be put on hold as im sitting in the hospital waiting for my baby to start coming out. :drunk:

i need a clone. lol.

you dont just re-use the old springs? i didnt know you can buy new ones, i re -used my old ones for both front and back struts

You can, but they are probably weakened with age, hence the sagging. Swapping to different springs and 4-Runner front struts for the rear, will provide a heavier duty setup.

how do you get new springs? and they make kyb subaru rear struts, so why would you use toyota ones?

Thank you for posting that link!

how do you get new springs? and they make kyb subaru rear struts, so why would you use toyota ones?

The 4-Runner front struts are stronger then the Subaru ones. Springs are probably gonna be new Accord springs. They are about 9" compressed length vs the 8" compressed length of the stock springs.

Why don't you just spend $1,000 on an 1990-'95 EJ22 swap. Then spend another $1,000 to buy a cheap Legacy/Impreza to drive until you finish the EA82.

You should be able to find more then a gaggle of $500 Subarus out your way. My Loyale was a $500 car 6 years ago, look at it today ;)

Why don't you just spend $1,000 on an 1990-'95 EJ22 swap. Then spend another $1,000 to buy a cheap Legacy/Impreza to drive until you finish the EA82.

You should be able to find more then a gaggle of $500 Subarus out your way. My Loyale was a $500 car 6 years ago, look at it today ;)

wait im confused.... your telling me it only costs a grand to but a 2.2 in my car?

wait im confused.... your telling me it only costs a grand to but a 2.2 in my car?

If not less. Go find a running $500 Legacy or Impreza that has a Duel-Port EJ22 (OBD-I or OBD-II your choice, 1995 EJ22 will be Duel-Port and OBD-II) Remove the engine wiring harness, cut it down your self using one of the Write-ups, or send it to somebody who does it. Buy an SJR Bellhousing adaptor ($250 iirc) make your custom pitch stopper, use your stock radiator and rig up duel electric fans, make some custom rad hoses, and the other little items, and you'll have your EJ swap.

Doesn't cost all that much, once you find a decent doner car.

I think my 86 XT Turbo has a blown head gasket or cracked head(s), it failed a combustion gas leak test and has milkshake under the radiator cap. A leakdown test would find out for sure?

A repaint was supposed to be the ambitious summer project!

A leakdown test showed 22-25% leakage on all pistons besides #4 with 10%. No bubbles in the radiator, but hissing from the dipstick tube which may indicate air passing the rings. I've put in a new radiator and aftermarket coolant temperature gauge and may just drive it for a while and see what happens.

I thought the car overheated when the digidash temp sender read full temp, but it was reading normal temps and then shot up when the aux. fan turned on. The fan wasn't running the entire time and the heater still worked.

Thats what happens when you put an axle on 180 out and then force the roll pin in with shear hatred..:lol: Glad to see you got it out though!

Its funny you mention Dunder head mechanics..thats how i get most of my cars, some idiot trys to fix it then makes it worse. I buy it cheap then fix the stupitity.

I had a car with a similar issue. 25spline axles on 23spline stubs..nothing turning the wheels but the roll pins.im glad i never really romped on it till after those were replaced.