Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Made some introductions today.

"Ned, meet the XT6. She has no name because I wont be keeping her after I get the parts for you off of her... Dont be jealous and continue running great please"

NEDandXT6.jpg

Not sure if he believes me, had a "rev up and die" episode 2 hours after the introductions... finicky little car.

evidently, I've been diligent about topping off the washer fluid in my wife's 03 OBW and recently learned that, wisely, Subaru has arranged the rear window's pump to have an inlet at a higher level in the tank, than the front windshield's motor and the rear will stop spraying while the front still sprays. So, instead of troubleshooting a blockage, I just needed to add fluid.

On my WRX, I replaced both the drive belts. Took the opportunity to put some anti-seize on the adjusting screws. figure it might help reduce corrosion down the line.

This transmission fluid looks fine right?

IMG_20121203_140816.jpg

WHY did I not change it sooner? Because I'm a moron, that's why.

:horse::banghead::banghead::horse::(

Also! In the midst of changing shocks on the rear of the Loyale. Any tips on getting the whole piston to keep from turning when trying to break the nut on the tophat? I've used a pair of vice grips to CLOSE a pair of vice grips around the piston, but when I try and break the nut, the piston just spins in the vice grip still. STILL!!. :banghead:

Dude! How much shi* is in the trunk of your car? lol, that lifted front end can't just be due to the angle of your driveway, is it?

Made some introductions today.

"Ned, meet the XT6. She has no name because I wont be keeping her after I get the parts for you off of her... Dont be jealous and continue running great please"

NEDandXT6.jpg

Not sure if he believes me, had a "rev up and die" episode 2 hours after the introductions... finicky little car.

Also! In the midst of changing shocks on the rear of the Loyale. Any tips on getting the whole piston to keep from turning when trying to break the nut on the tophat? I've used a pair of vice grips to CLOSE a pair of vice grips around the piston, but when I try and break the nut, the piston just spins in the vice grip still. STILL!!. :banghead:

when i did my rear struts i had to cut the nut off with a grinder.

no matter what i did the vise grips would not grip the piston.

when i did my rear struts i had to cut the nut off with a grinder.

no matter what i did the vise grips would not grip the piston.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of =\. Wish I had a grinder! When I had the rear struts out of my GL I brought them to a shop and they torched them off:Flame:. After that I helped my brother do his rear struts in his 93 Imp. and those came off so I thought maybe I'll have another go at it with the Loyale, but no dice.

Thanks for the advice.

try wrapping some sturdy cloth around the shaft of it a few times and securing the loose end or have someone use a lever to hold it.

doesnt always work since the shaft is so smooth, but if you can get something to bind when it turns you may be able to pop it loose.

Sorry, EA82s are highly jealous cars. Ned will have fits till the XT6 gone. Trust me.

Yea I can tell. Hes gonna be REALLY pissed when he finds out hes towing the XT6 over to my sisters haha.

Dude! How much shi* is in the trunk of your car? lol, that lifted front end can't just be due to the angle of your driveway, is it?

Its a little bit of the angle, plus my sister has a ton of stuff in the car... Im not exactly thrilled with her driving him :( I do have blown suspension... and a blown axle... been waiting for the XT6 so I could do 5 lug and get the suspension I want and 5 lug etc :D

Towed the XT6 today...

First did 2WD... That was a very hard process and barely got the car moving... So we used 4LO and didnt really have any trouble. Ned was NOT a happy camper though, but a full tank of gas and a quart of oil seemed to say thanks...

Here soon he gets the new motor and new clutch... then a 5 lug swap... hes gonna be fine :D

This transmission fluid looks fine right?

Have you tried an impact wrench? Those are great for those awkward bolts that you can't stop from spinning. And if you're gonna replace the struts anyway, might as well destroy them, right?

Have you tried an impact wrench? Those are great for those awkward bolts that you can't stop from spinning. And if you're gonna replace the struts anyway, might as well destroy them, right?

I wish I had one!! :dead: I got it though, and it goes perfectly along with what you said;

I don't have an angle grinder to grind the bolts away so I wound up using a hacksaw and cutting the piston so I could then just seperate the top part from the whole strut assembly, get a really good grip on it with a vice grip, and then I got the bolt off.

Santa needs to bring me some new tools man lol:horse: