Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

This is what dreams are made of. :drunk: haha, Awesome job. Do you have pics of your car up in the my rides section?

I like seeing well taken care of roo's.

Makes what I did to my GL really pale in comparison.....;

I changed my oil. @ 70k ;)

My '94 Loyale received its 248,000 mile upgrades:

Replaced exhaust Y-pipe and mid-pipe with RockAuto parts to get rid of a heat shield rattle, which also gave me more power - stock cats must have been plugged up.

Replaced rear wheel bearings

Installed rear disk brakes from junkyard

Installed polyurethane bushings on rear swingarms (saw thread on this forum)

Installed new KYB GR2 shocks and struts all around. Found p/n's on this forum. Oddly enough, the front left was $7 and the front right was $50 on Amazon.com.

Installed Spring Rubbers in rear to boost spring rate and keep the car off the bump stops when fully loaded. Resulted in about a 1" lift in the rear. P/N 917250-075 required some trimming and a hammer to fit in the stock coil springs.

Replaced front tie rod ends and ball joints

Found the FR lower control arm bolt hole in the subframe was ovalized from hitting a curb. Loose and rattling & full of rusty water. Filled it with JB-weld, we'll see how that holds up :)

Nice new Rain-X winter wiper blades, totally worth it after dealing with crappy blades forever

Fixed oil smell in cabin by replacing cracked PCV hoses, PCV valve, and oil filler cap which was loose

Replaced valve cover gaskets

Fixed heater leak between A/C evaporator and heater core. Whenever the heater fan was on, cold air would blow out of the glove box area. Added a bunch of weatherstrip around the duct and re-fastened the duct clamp which was loose. Also patched up a duct hole a mouse had chewed through.

Replaced timing belts (much easier without covers!), spark plugs, and wires

Added weatherstripping to body side of all door seals and re-glued some door seals that had been torn off after freezing to the car. Applied a bunch of silicone spray to all of the seals.

Lubed all locks and latches.

Fixed driver's door rattle - missing rubber ring on door latch. Gorilla tape.

New iphone holder for the dash and 2-foot right-angle aux cable, non-retractable. Listening to audiobooks on my commute rocks!

LED dome light bulb and installed a hatch-area LED dome light this spring.

Installed some awesome General Altimax Arctic snow tires!

8263359330_80206ee6ca.jpg

This is a lot of work for an old car, but I love it, because it's a better car now than when I bought it 115K miles ago. I'm still waiting for the clutch to go so I can install the dual range tranny and reseal the engine.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum - I wouldn't have done half of this work without the inspiration and technical details I find here!

I'm really thinking about getting those General Altimax Arctic tire week after next, my A/S are almost bald and with the weather hardly much of any snow here in the Northeast I figure these should run ok..

I had the firestone winter force tires on when that car got totaled I was thinking about getting those again but might swing for the General Altimax this time.

Winterforces absolutely rule, but it's not snowing very much. I've been fine on my outback running crappy half used all seasons. I live in an area it's not plowed much. A day or two after the storm it's stuck and I drive the lifted GL with winterforces. But after everything is plowed a bit, I'm fine with the outback. Next time it needs tires I'll just do good all seasons, they're fine for a DD if you're in an area that gets plowed out.

Winterforces absolutely rule, but it's not snowing very much. I've been fine on my outback running crappy half used all seasons. I live in an area it's not plowed much. A day or two after the storm it's stuck and I drive the lifted GL with winterforces. But after everything is plowed a bit, I'm fine with the outback. Next time it needs tires I'll just do good all seasons, they're fine for a DD if you're in an area that gets plowed out.
My job requires me to be to work as long as the highways are open and not shut down, and that means moving out of my spot before the plow truck comes, I had no issues when I had the legacy and winterforce in 10" and it wassnt a outback.

Base-lined her: Oil + filter, timing belts, tensioners, fixed leaks, new tires, front drive axles, replaced steering bellows, PCV valve, spark plugs, removed and cleaned EGR valve, Reset EGR light on dash. Feels like new. Now for a new radio...this old Hitachi unit is garbage.

This is on a 08 OBS - Yesterday, changed plugs (NGK Laser Platinum), air filter (Sub OEM), main drive belt (Sub OEM) and AC drive stretch fit belt (Gates Micro-V stretch fit). Today, replaced oil and filter (Castrol Edge and Bosch Distance Plus). Need to do brakes, flush brake fluid, and replace coolant soon. Will swap out cabin air filter tomorrow, and pick up a gallon of Subaru LL (not super blue) coolant for the coolant flush. Car has 49850 miles and chugging along nicely.

Completed coolant flush with Subaru LL coolant. Used 4 gallons of DIW to flush out 4 separate times. Next time will use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358115241&sr=8-1&keywords=coolant+lift

You get slightly over a gallon out when draining the radiator, but it gets old - adding DIW, getting the engine hot, draining and repeating etc. With the airlift device it would have been much simpler/faster. Also added a bottle of Subaru (Holts) conditioner. It is a brown, rust colored suspension with off white colored flakes. If the Subaru engineers say it is OK, will not argue. Replaced cabin air filter; now to do a brake fluid flush, and possibly replace pads.

Omg, is that the paint you can literally write on with chalk? That'd be so cool!

yupp. They used to only have black, but I really wanted to do army green. So my friend showed me that they did different colors. Total cost of the tape, rollers, paint, and paint mix was 31 bucks. Going to buy a pack of chalk and hang it from the front or rear tow hook and let people have fun at meets and such.

yupp. They used to only have black, but I really wanted to do army green. So my friend showed me that they did different colors. Total cost of the tape, rollers, paint, and paint mix was 31 bucks. Going to buy a pack of chalk and hang it from the front or rear tow hook and let people have fun at meets and such.

Awesome! Curious to see how it holds up.

rebuilt my hitachi 2brl carb, DCJ 306, on my 74' DL. still running a little sluggish, gonna replace the spark plugs and see if that does anything with the way it sluggishly gives power at the beginning of any throttle demand. or should i just take it to a carb. guy and have them tune it right? lol anybody know where i can get a driver side inside door handle for my subi?

Just fabbed up a turbo scoop on our 85 Turbo Brat. Scored a turbo hood from a 92 legacy from a junk yard and retro fitted it to our 1985 Brat. Next project is to put the intercooler in...

Field_zps0b6adf72.jpg

this is how we found her in a field in Fort Collins, CO

20130107_123212_zps03343375.jpg

the start of the scoop build

20130111_152720_zpse238bc8b.jpg

20130111_094026_zps751e2504.jpg

in the paint booth

20130114_133449_zps023eb922.jpg

primer, ready to paint

20130114_182233_zpsd6aa07e6.jpg

20130116_113522_zps5728f0bf.jpg

20130116_113536_zpse4e9a754.jpg

20130116_154607_zps2736d528.jpg

20130116_154622_zps6a634718.jpg

20130116_154804_zps62b303d5.jpg

20130116_154837_zps00bbbccd.jpg

Final product with the scoop completed.

1985 Brat D/R 4 Speed with an 83-84 1.8 Turbo motor swap A.K.A The Panda

Just for fun -

Cheers!

My job requires me to be to work as long as the highways are open and not shut down, and that means moving out of my spot before the plow truck comes, I had no issues when I had the legacy and winterforce in 10" and it wassnt a outback.

i recently picked up a set of i pikes for my lifted loyale. i miss my winterforces, and the werent even studded. i just got a screamin deal on my new tires, old fronts were smoked. kinda had to/

i recently picked up a set of i pikes for my lifted loyale. i miss my winterforces, and the werent even studded. i just got a screamin deal on my new tires, old fronts were smoked. kinda had to/
I miss mine too since they had about 100% thread left when my car got totaled :mad: but oh well.. I decided to go with the general altramax winter tires this time since everyone says they are a little bit better unstudded then the winterforce..

I will soon find out.

Attempted to repair the clock in the '88 Wagon. No joy, burnt resistor. Pulled clock from the '92 Wagon's dash, same resistor was burnt. Bummer.

When I dropped the glovebox down on the '88 to get to the connector for the clock, I found a receipt for payment of repairs. It was laying on top of the A/C housing.

No mention of work done, but total was $549.20, paid to Luttrell's Auto Center in Walla Walla, Wa., paid on 12/14/06.

Thought that was pretty cool.

Some Dumb rump roast Driver was passing me in a Curve, when an incoming car appeared, so he steered his car against mine and in order to avoid an accident, I had to pull fast to the Right side of the Road... where a monstrous pothole was waiting for my Subie's Tire...

HPIM4897.jpg

I had to change tires on that side of the Road... but the Tire has two cuts, of around 1 inch long each, in the Green Marked Areas ... :banghead: ...

I Hate Dumb-rump roast Drivers...

Attempted to repair the clock in the '88 Wagon. No joy, burnt resistor. Pulled clock from the '92 Wagon's dash, same resistor was burnt. Bummer.

When I dropped the glovebox down on the '88 to get to the connector for the clock, I found a receipt for payment of repairs. It was laying on top of the A/C housing.

No mention of work done, but total was $549.20, paid to Luttrell's Auto Center in Walla Walla, Wa., paid on 12/14/06.

Thought that was pretty cool.

this explains the lack of scary rust (hopefully)