Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Put this OEM 2.5RS steering wheel in my '88 GL today!

0FE2D2F5-1769-4241-9EC7-7213E41673C3-3098-0000059193EB7202_zps83370cbe.jpg

I was reading around, I thought I had read that these won't fit on because of different splines, Anyhow, 36 teeth met up with another 36 teeth it slipped on with no issues. Regrounded the wire off the old wheel, and horn works like a champ. The only problem I'm having is the lack of self-canceling signals... Might have hooked up the covers wrong, unless the original wheel has something that self cancels?

• Like 1

... The only problem I'm having is the lack of self-canceling signals... Might have hooked up the covers wrong, unless the original wheel has something that self cancels?

You mean when you turn the signal on, turn the wheel it popps/turns off?

check the housing behind the steering wheel itself. make sure you also put all the screws back in the column, in particular the ones closest to the signal lever. I had a similar problem with my old GL.. fixed it up perfect after putting a screw back in.

-Justin

I was reading around, I thought I had read that these won't fit on because of different splines, Anyhow, 36 teeth met up with another 36 teeth it slipped on with no issues. Regrounded the wire off the old wheel, and horn works like a champ. The only problem I'm having is the lack of self-canceling signals... Might have hooked up the covers wrong, unless the original wheel has something that self cancels?

Wait, the splines are the same?

You mean when you turn the signal on, turn the wheel it popps/turns off?

check the housing behind the steering wheel itself. make sure you also put all the screws back in the column, in particular the ones closest to the signal lever. I had a similar problem with my old GL.. fixed it up perfect after putting a screw back in.

-Justin

I will try that today

Wait, the splines are the same?

Yeah apparently! I counted as accurately as I could with my crappy eyes, before I test fit. I counted 36 teeth. Slipped it on, tightened down the nut, viola! Nice and snug. Then I took it for a drive, and realized I had it misaligned. I had to use a puller on it again, inspected the splines, no damage or anything. It's a much more comfortable wheel to drive with

0FE2D2F5-1769-4241-9EC7-7213E41673C3-3098-0000059193EB7202_zps83370cbe.jpg

Looks good! I just swapped a Loyale one into my 86 GL, a lot better than the stock one without getting too fancy :D

Just pulled 989 miles in two days.
Something in the back is wearing out, be it a wheel bearing (everything feels solid) or maybe it's a catching brake shoe. Could be a u-joint or the carrier bearing..dunno yet. Made a few unnerving noises along the drive but aside from that, all was well. 2-1/2 tanks of gas. :)

Just pulled 989 miles in two days.

Something in the back is wearing out, be it a wheel bearing (everything feels solid) or maybe it's a catching brake shoe. Could be a u-joint or the carrier bearing..dunno yet. Made a few unnerving noises along the drive but aside from that, all was well. 2-1/2 tanks of gas. :)

Most likely is a wheel bearing. Had noise from back of Wagon that I couldn't figure out. Everything looked/felt good on inspection. Replaced both bearing sets and noise is goned... :)

Had these laying around, thought I'd try them on Wedge:8471792137_bb540d29ee_c.jpg 

Mumble grumble, *jealousy* grumble, grrrrr ;)

I looked at some more potential candidates for my new car when I get my settlement.

Found a few lookers and some rebuilt cars for dirt cheap. (12k for a 2012 Fozzy)

But still waiting for the "right" one to catch my eye. Come on turbo baja with a 5 speed, come on down for $10K...

Twitch

While under the hood today, I noticed my V-Belt was loose. Went to loosen the lower alternator belt, and SNAP. Sheared the bolt head right off, with the bolt stud still stuck (and torqued) in the bracket. Took out the alternator, and took out the alternator bracket. After a day of hammering, drilling, and heating, I've made it worse, haha. Gotta head to the junkyard to get a new bracket and make my car run again.

bolt_zps9ded69de.jpg

Losing coolant and oil.. no leaks, no bubbles in radiator, no weird smells, good power without smoking. Cracked block or head gaskets I figure, just in time for JCI inspection. Love to crack it open and take a peek but little access to tools/space anymore. POS that sold it to me unhooked the ECU cord too so with that plugged in im getting CEL 22 for knock sensor as well, most likely from overheating with the HG failure. Most likely get rid of it and pick up a 90s Subaru Dias Classic on base, I am nuts about the retro look of the front.

Sidenote - I had just bought an air filter for this guy too, be thankful for your local autoparts stores.. everyone around here quoted me $40-50 for the most basic air filters (I got lucky and got it for $17 at Autobacs)

no pics, due to lack of camera but  the 87 gl-10 got a new clutch, rear diff snout bushing, drivers front caliper, both front door card top pieces, cargo area carpet, and a good cleaning. The interior has a couple stains but aside from that it is 100%.