Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Why do you hate it?

I want to love it, but i need to get it to that point. I am putting much work into it almost on the scale of my 3door coupe, less the engine and trans swap. The body work is much more work than with the 3door. And as much as i can do to make it nice, it is rusted out to begin with. For something that needed a water pump and a shifter bushing, I will have to take out the whole interior to repair it properly, and swap the manual cranks onto the new doors, etc. More work than i wanted to do, but might as well.

I want to love it, but i need to get it to that point. I am putting much work into it almost on the scale of my 3door coupe, less the engine and trans swap. The body work is much more work than with the 3door. And as much as i can do to make it nice, it is rusted out to begin with. For something that needed a water pump and a shifter bushing, I will have to take out the whole interior to repair it properly, and swap the manual cranks onto the new doors, etc. More work than i wanted to do, but might as well.

same here!!!!!

Turns out its that god awful little coolant feed hose that keeps the throttle body from icing up.

And my vacuum modulator for the 4WD broke right before the hose started spraying everywhere.

Both plastic nipples snapped clean off. With very little force mind you. Bumped the damn hose and they happily detached.

And they were oil soaked, so I get to figure out why my goddamn pcv system is drinking the oil.

Sorry for the language. Tonight has not been my night.

And I have to drive my parent's Buick to work tomorrow. I hate that car.

Twitch

PS: And to make it all worse, there a forecast for snow tomorrow. Kill me now.

"why not use a home surround sound system subwoofer in my car."

That's what I did! So long as you have an amp and a low pass filter on it, it works great. I have a polkaudio home theater 8" subwoofer and a car audio 12". They are both 4 ohms. Just make sure you disconnect all the old wiring from the woofer first and then run your own wires direct from sub to amp. My home audio subwoofer works out because I screwed my amp right on to it too. :)

That's ghetto. Lol/jk.

cool. looking to line the bed of my brat this weekend. I know it's cold in Utah how'd it go with applying the liner?

It wasn't too bad in the garage, had to do a few lighter coats to prevent runs on the vertical areas.  But the wheel I repainted was a royal pain to paint. Only got one wheel done, turned out okay, better than the brushed on tractor paint the PO applied.

Drove the Brat up to Alta today, and it ran great, but later on in the day it was back to running inconsistent, so I will pull off the top of the carb and clean out the emulsion tubes and drain the bottom of the carb tomorrow.  Despite being old and tired, it is actually more fun to drive in the mountains than my VDC with Baja springs and sway bars.  Guess manual steering along with over 1000 lbs lighter gives it more fun factor.

Took a good part of the day and rebuilt the junkyard carb since the car has not been running all that great.  Good thing I did, it was pretty dirty as expected, does not look like it had been opened up before.  Installed it and it fired up.  Pulls much better, no backfiring, but still working on vacuum leaks.  Will smoke the vacuum lines and try to get it back to the shop to attempt a 3rd try at  the emission shop.  Also exhaust does not smell like raw gas.  Besides taking a lot of time, this is starting to be a satifying project.

10663396404_70d7206757.jpg

Broke that. I thought it was the 4wd control switch, but it's not.

It's located directly below the intake on my EA82T, in front of the turbo.

The fittings broke off, as you can tell. I think it may be the boost control solenoid, but I'm not sure what the hell it is. As usual, my Chilton's is useless.

Anyone have any help?

I also borked it when I tried to reattach the fittings with Q-Bond. The powder and liquid adhesive appear to have made it into the inner valve on the face. I'll post more pictures for more clarification soon.

Twitch

10663396404_70d7206757.jpg Broke that. I thought it was the 4wd control switch, but it's not. It's located directly below the intake on my EA82T, in front of the turbo. The fittings broke off, as you can tell. I think it may be the boost control solenoid, but I'm not sure what the hell it is. As usual, my Chilton's is useless. Anyone have any help? I also borked it when I tried to reattach the fittings with Q-Bond. The powder and liquid adhesive appear to have made it into the inner valve on the face. I'll post more pictures for more clarification soon. Twitch

Looks a lots like the purge control solenoid on my spfi. Might check to see if there is a code without it in the car, that might help identify it.

Had the engine out of my 84' touring wagon to fix the intermittent TOD (new oil pump seals), valve covers (heli-coiled the stripped bolts), and new clutch and pressure plate (stop the clutch slipping in 5th trying to pull from 80-100km/h :P). Got the engine out no problems then had an annoying time to say the least getting back in.
58jgF.JPG

Replaced the dash lights with LED's and painted the back so it comes up different colours, (green/red up the fuel/temp guage, speedo and tach) couple of dim spots. Also did the corner lights with green leds, come up really bright now.

To do list: Fix the back fender. Get my other set of 8spokes sandblasted to be painted white or matched red (undecided) the put them on with trim rings and centre caps.

And that's about it for now.
-Tom

Looks a lots like the purge control solenoid on my spfi. Might check to see if there is a code without it in the car, that might help identify it.

I went through Pull and Save today and found nothing like it. But I was in a bit of a hurry since it was near closing time. I'll go back and look again, but I haven't seen anything else like it. And I'm fearful of running the car without it, as if it is a boost control solenoid, the turbo will try to blow my car halfway to hell. But I'll test it. And if it's nothing, I'll just pop a T in there to keep all the vacuum lines connected and happy. Hope nothing explodes...

Twitch

Had the engine out of my 84' touring wagon to fix the intermittent TOD (new oil pump seals), valve covers (heli-coiled the stripped bolts), and new clutch and pressure plate (stop the clutch slipping in 5th trying to pull from 80-100km/h :P). Got the engine out no problems then had an annoying time to say the least getting back in.

58jgF.JPG

Replaced the dash lights with LED's and painted the back so it comes up different colours, (green/red up the fuel/temp guage, speedo and tach) couple of dim spots. Also did the corner lights with green leds, come up really bright now.

To do list: Fix the back fender. Get my other set of 8spokes sandblasted to be painted white or matched red (undecided) the put them on with trim rings and centre caps.

And that's about it for now.

-Tom

Good to see this is still getting around. I saw it at McLeod's Garage in Waverly about a year ago, and haven't seen it since. Rare with the spoiler, first I've ever seen, especially in the touring wagon body. Is it NZ new or JDM? Pity about the dent, that'll be a bitch to fix in that place.

Also, welcome to the site.

Edited by KiwiGL

Good to see this is still getting around. I saw it at McLeod's Garage in Waverly about a year ago, and haven't seen it since. Rare with the spoiler, first I've ever seen, especially in the touring wagon body. Is it NZ new or JDM? Pity about the dent, that'll be a bitch to fix in that place.

Also, welcome to the site.

Its JDM, not too sure about how original the spoiler is. I didn't put it on and I doubt the previous owner would of but before that i don't know. Yeah not planning on going too overboard with the dent, get it close as I can then a bit of paint so it isn't as obvious. I think its a pretty tidy wagon overall. Cheers for the welcome.

I went through Pull and Save today and found nothing like it. But I was in a bit of a hurry since it was near closing time. I'll go back and look again, but I haven't seen anything else like it. And I'm fearful of running the car without it, as if it is a boost control solenoid, the turbo will try to blow my car halfway to hell. But I'll test it. And if it's nothing, I'll just pop a T in there to keep all the vacuum lines connected and happy. Hope nothing explodes...

Twitch

I don't think you actually need to start it to get it to throw the code. I think the diagnostic is run when you turn they key to ign without actually cranking the engine.

I don't think you actually need to start it to get it to throw the code. I think the diagnostic is run when you turn they key to ign without actually cranking the engine.

Well, I pinned it down to either the wastegate control solenoid or the boost control valve. Not cool when your engine overrevs mid shift.

Twitch

Bought a cigar, lit it and blew smoke into the vacuum port behind the carb, viola, a major leak at the big three way tee that connects to the pvc hose.  Fixed that and gained about 2" of vacuum and for the first time, I have a steady idle.  Also heard the erg valve knocking, major carbon throughout, cleaned up with carb cleaner, then decided to order a new one, this one is done.  Once I install the new EGR later on this week, I will take it back to get testing for emissions.