Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Swapped engines after the catastrophe. I am now running the epic "Art of Subaru Maintenance " motor featured in YT vids, Big thanks to Venerable forum members for making this happen. 

Never done an engine swap before, it went together pretty easy. I was underneath for the line up when my buddy eased it down and it landed So perfectly, -(I was anticipating wrestling of the exhaust, mounts,...)-I actually got a little misty from the great stress relief -like having a family member in surgery!

Did I use the videos to guide me? Heck yes! BTW no leaks, the motor is great  :)  

I'm using the Hitachi setup for now, but idle won't stay put -something is off. Looking into that dieseling solenoid today, hunting for vacuum leaks...

Also cleaned up the engine bay, painted wiper arms, various under hood things. The Plasti-dip looks good on the wheels and holds up well so far. Looks like crap on the hood tho. Large areas are not easy to do with rattle cans.

Painted the hubs black too. Here's a pic:

post-33119-0-20688900-1383688729_thumb.jpg

Where do I start? Guess I can say I drive the snot out of it everyday...

But I started tearing apart my other EA82... Got the heads sent in today as well... I had them do a valve grind and replace the stem seals while having them resurfaced, Ill have photos soon as this whole process comes together... Im pretty excited about it... being my first PERSONAL EA82 build (helped build another one before) and seeing how it goes will be a fun experience...

Wish I could have the motor last until I pull it to EJ swap Ned next year (plans changed, Ill have a pavement scraper, might as well have Ned as an offroad weekend car -- lift, bigger tires, different wheels (love my AAs too much to ruin them), roof basket, front and rear bumpers, etc) But sadly this EA82 is done and tired. Too long on a busted headgasket, overheating in the WCSS15 mudpit (was a blast anyways) and the timing belt tensioner snapped the head off its bolt and came loose on the road... had to drill and tap it out to an M10X1.5 (muhaha, go ahead, snap it off) and start building this other EA82 ASAP.

Heres a teaser of my "Stable of Subarus" the beautiful white one will be Subie #6 and by far the fastest...

Driveway2014_zps50b19a35.jpg

• Like 1

Ordered an egr gasket and bought a one man brake bleeder as my old one was cracked and leaking brake fluid. Should be getting the egr on Thursday from NAPA, until then I will bleed the brakes and finally adjust the rear drums. Will go into the emission shop on Thursday if time permits.  Heading off to Wyoming on Friday, and will have to go back to the DMV next Monday if the beast doesn't pass emissions and attempt on getting a one year exemption since I have now met the min of $200 of emissions related repairs(distributor, rebuilt carb, plugs, wires, rotor, etc etc)  And to think I thought this was going to be an easy project.

Why not get rid of that Hitachi and do a Weber Swap?

I'm gonna go for the MPG's for now if it gets sorted...I do love my Weber'd EA81 & it satisfies my carbyness...But I also have almost all the spfi stuff, so that's a thought...

Then again if I can pick up an ej22 for less than a new weber,(read somewhere) -I'm thinking maybe I'll just go snag one of those and have it ready -

But For Now: -I Drive! B)

• Like 1

Ordered an egr gasket and bought a one man brake bleeder as my old one was cracked and leaking brake fluid. Should be getting the egr on Thursday from NAPA, until then I will bleed the brakes and finally adjust the rear drums. Will go into the emission shop on Thursday if time permits.  Heading off to Wyoming on Friday, and will have to go back to the DMV next Monday if the beast doesn't pass emissions and attempt on getting a one year exemption since I have now met the min of $200 of emissions related repairs(distributor, rebuilt carb, plugs, wires, rotor, etc etc)  And to think I thought this was going to be an easy project.

We all wish you Luck!

Ordered pistons for my long overdue EA81 project, and I'm picking up a Ball hone to do the cylinders with. Just wondering if I should get some plasti-gauge or just put it together without checking my clearances.

And Now I have to locate that bottle of anaerobic gasket maker Jerry gave me...

Twitch

check your clearances, I ruined a freshly rebuilt mazda motor like that, right around 3k miles after rebuild

Noted, I'll check my clearances :P

Oh, got my pistons yesterday! *squee*

Shiny, shiny new pistons.

If anyone needs to get any, the parts number is ry2666 for ITM pistons,

I got a set of 4 (obviously) and they were made in Japan. They also seem to be of good quality; look OEM or better :)

Twitch

PS: These are EA71 pistons. Not EA81, they are taller and provide more compression in an EA81. I'll provide pics of how they look with the engine all together, and how far out of the hole they'll stick with .020" taken off the block ;)

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

Installed new egr valve yesterday morning as the old one was siezed, then had to remove the rear driveshaft on my h6 as the u joints were shot.  Then last night attempted to bleed the brakes on the BRAT again, but I am sure I ruined the master cylinder pumping the brakes.  So I ordered a reman off of ebay and should get that on Friday.  I just finished reinstalling the driveshaft on my h6 and no more clunking on take off.  Will be changing the oil pan gasket on the Brat tomorrow morning.

Went skiing today instead of working on the Brat, but I did get the master cylinder from ebay in 3 days so super happy that I can install that in the morning.  Will also try to get the Brat over to the emissions for the 3rd test, it passed the 2500 rpm test but not the idle on the 2nd attempt.  But since then, I have rebuilt the carb, distributor, installed a new egr valve as the old one was totally siezed, and fixed the hissing vacuum lines.  Will probably run a gallon of denatured alcohol with 4 gallons of gas to see if I can get below 220 on the HC.  If that doesn't work then Ill show my $600+ in reciepts and get a one year exemption.  Just in time for the big storm on Saturday. 

Installed the master cylinder from ebay, kind of pain in the butt, didn't have a long reach 10mm wrench so the bottom flare nuts came off and on slowly.  Then attempted to cross bleed the brake system since I could not bench bleed the master.  After messing around for 30 minutes, decided to go to Harbor Frieght and pick up one of those one man bleeders that hooks up to the air compressor, Viola!  It still took a good 30 minutes, but finally have a good brake pedal again.  30 bucks well spent for sure.

Seafoamed! Heard much about the stuff, never actually tried the stuff.

The stuff works. Did all but eliminate a 3/4 go pedal stumbly fall on its face kinda scenario..

Oil change on both cars. Fixed trim on Loyale...egr solenoid from a tempo went in, check engine light out (win!)

Flushed heater core, much better heat now. Topped strans fluid.

Oh yeah! Sea foam DEF made a difference as the Loyale peeled out in 2nd gear while climbing a hill. Hill that I have climbed countless times and always go up at WOT. Never did that before. Didn't. Chirp them, no, actually broke one completely loose. I let it spin for awhile (whole hill. Laughing all the way up)

Loyale is automatic BTW.:)

My son and I replaced both Strut Mounts, sway bar bushings and control strut rod bushings.  By replacing the strut mounts, he gained 1.5 inches of lift in the front  I guess the old ones were worn out.  Plus, this thing rides like a new car now.  No noises up front, no bumps, thumps, squeaks, shimmy.  Well whole the effort.

• Like 1