Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Wow..i once wound out 1st gear out of curiosity to about almost 50mph and it was past 7k rpm...2nd gear winds out to I'm thinking around 70...that engine had to briefly be turning close to if not over 9-10,000 rpms.......ouch.

• Like 1

Resealed my oil pump, that was another PITA.

Pump didn't want to just slide out much less slide back in, and that was with loosening the bolt closest to the pump on the block.

Couldn't get the pressure sender off either, last one to have worked on it put RTV on the threads I'm guessing that is why it wouldn't come off.

They also did a POS job of putting the pump together and on the block, both small o-rings were not placed right so they were oblong, go figure it was leaking like a sieve.

1981 Brat -- Put in new rear brake cylinders and shoes.

Got the pug steelies that have been sitting in my garage for close to a year powder-coated and installed with a new set of 185/75/14 tires. Added center caps complete with Subaru logos (thanks, FleaBay!)

Remove the steering wheel and fixed the problem with the turn signals not turning off after a turn (say that 10 times fast). The epoxies you can buy now are the bomb compared to just 10 years ago.

Fixed the cracks in the steering wheel. Painted same to cover up repairs.

Now, I'm working on a broken hazard signal switch.

Edited by bendecker

... the adapter plate gaskets to fail which I had used blue permatex on. Taking it apart I can see that the blue stuff doesn't hold on too well. Tried replacing the gaskets with paper cutouts and not using sealant, and I quickly realized after starting it that I needed to use some sealant. I just coated them with permatex 2 and am letting them dry.

If you're Writing about the Adapter Plates for a Carburator, the Best gasket sealant is Shellac, which could be in contact with Gasoline, Coolant, etc... 

~► http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex--indian-head--gasket-shellac-compound-detail

Kind Regards.

Pics will be updated soon...

Ned died :( Headgasket finally got the best of him... Been driving my WRX around and went to start him to move him and the entire time he was warming up he was billowing (and I mean billowing) white smoke out of the exhaust... Drove down the street to the store and back into a different spot... seemed happy but I know hes hurting... I got the other motor hottanked and this one is just gonna go to scrap or be sold cheap as a rebuilder.

The WRX got some much needed love... Only had her since Feb 24th and Ive gone from 111,640 to 113K today! Oil change soon. Pics and a better description when Im on my own computer for pictures!

Took the turbo subie down the road a couple of weeks ago. Have been messing with jet sizes on the carb and wanted to see how it ran. It was making 7 psi of boost! But still not enough fuel. It quit pulling around the pressure like there wasnt anything else to burn. Goin to have to get so more fuel to it. Then on the trip back got pulled over in my driveway for not having plates on the back. Oh well.

got the PandaWagon on the road again:

1924551_256631454509247_564870168_n.jpg

Gold wheels will be going back on once I have the spare funds to get new tires. In the mean time, I'll rock the WRX wheels. The rear suspension needs to be replaced (while the wagon was down, I put the rear suspension on Wedge)  - it's a little sloppy back there. The interior needs to be put back together too, but at least I can drive her to work again. :)

• Like 3

If you're Writing about the Adapter Plates for a Carburator, the Best gasket sealant is Shellac, which could be in contact with Gasoline, Coolant, etc... 

~► http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex--indian-head--gasket-shellac-compound-detail

Kind Regards.

Ah-hah!!! I couldn't remember what the stuff was that I had read about, and I remember reading a thread about it that you started I believe. That's been quite a few years ago that I read about it.

That looks neat. I used to have a Touring wagon which I got painted in the original green at the top (where yours is white), with silver down the bottom. Though I didn't do the bumpers & rubbing strips.

Doing kind of project again & struggling what to do with the paint scheme around the bumpers. The rear bumper on the wagon doesn't line up with the rest of the car :(

And our front blinkers are higher up in the bumper, breaking up the factory "paint line" on the higher spec cars, instead of the top of the blinker lining up with it...

After seeing yours, I'm thinking of just painting everything, including the full bumpers & rubbing strips. Just leave the chrome strips exposed.

Did you pull the mirrors apart to get the paint different colours on different parts?

Painting the Whole car in only one colour, helps to hide minor imperfections.

... I remember reading a thread about it that you started ...

Yes, that is my Writeup about the Weber Carb Swap onto EA82's

~►
 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/

Kind Regards.

Pics will be updated soon...

Ned died :( Headgasket finally got the best of him... Been driving my WRX around and went to start him to move him and the entire time he was warming up he was billowing (and I mean billowing) white smoke out of the exhaust... Drove down the street to the store and back into a different spot... seemed happy but I know hes hurting... I got the other motor hottanked and this one is just gonna go to scrap or be sold cheap as a rebuilder.

The WRX got some much needed love... Only had her since Feb 24th and Ive gone from 111,640 to 113K today! Oil change soon. Pics and a better description when Im on my own computer for pictures!

There is a connection, you say you got a WRX then NED died? Poor NED sounds heartbroken...  :(

• Like 2

That looks neat. I used to have a Touring wagon which I got painted in the original green at the top (where yours is white), with silver down the bottom. Though I didn't do the bumpers & rubbing strips.

Doing kind of project again & struggling what to do with the paint scheme around the bumpers. The rear bumper on the wagon doesn't line up with the rest of the car :(

And our front blinkers are higher up in the bumper, breaking up the factory "paint line" on the higher spec cars, instead of the top of the blinker lining up with it...

After seeing yours, I'm thinking of just painting everything, including the full bumpers & rubbing strips. Just leave the chrome strips exposed.

Did you pull the mirrors apart to get the paint different colours on different parts?

Thanks. :) 

The mirrors are off an XT (aka Vortex in your country) which were already white.

I bet that Touring wagon looked good in green and silver! I've always loved the Touring wagons, but they're so hard to find!

Signed up for a body/paint course through my sons schools district so that I can work on the Brat in a more suitable environment than my garage, starts in a week, cost 200 bucks and should be able to get the Brat looking pretty sharp.

Oh yeah, also traded in my beloved but tired 01 Outback VDC for a 13 Honda Fit Sport with 8 miles on in it. I know I am a trader, but the Outback was nickel and diming me and now I can spend more time getting the old Brat in tip top shape.  Also will give me an excuse to take the Brat out next winter when the Fit wont be able to handle the snow.  Got the Fit for 17k and while I still like the new Subaru's, I couldnt find a manual because I really couldn't deal with the CVT, so I went with a good little commuter that will be easy with my time and wallet.

"Trader" I like that not a Traitor but a Trader as in Trade in the old for the new even if it is the Ricers Choice Still Honda's are OK but sadly only Subaru are left when it comes to making Cars in Japan even Honda now make some models offshore and the States for some time I do believe also and they are not always as good as made in Japan.

Here in Australia Suzuki make the new model swift in Thailand but the Sport model still made in Japan and one example of the difference is the Thai made Swifts are rapidly developing a reputation for rusting out the bottom of the doors in 12 months.

Hope your Honda is made in Japan or at least in America and hence employing Fellow Americans.

Edited by coxy

Almost forgot the real reason I came here to Post, New LED driving lights great close up lighting and reasonable distance but not as great a distance as the Cibies I took off so I will remount the Cibies and have four lights on the front by the end of the weekend. So the best of both worlds.

Only one problem BMW has just come up with Lazer Headlights so we are all back to square one just when we were getting used to HID and LED lighting they come up with a new one.

http://jalopnik.com/how-bmws-new-laser-headlights-will-work-and-not-kill-y-1521586271

Guess I was trying to be cute since I did "trade" my car in, but you got me on my misuse of the word. Good catch!  Lucky for me the Honda Fit is still assembled in Japan. 

Finally finished the repair on the rusted wheel arches in the bed of the Brat. After cutting out all the old rust, welding some patches and used some long strand fiberglass fill,  then after sanding applied some bondo, sanded that and primed and painted it with some rattle cans.  Really enjoyed using the DA sander I picked up at Harbor Freight, made sanding much more tolerable.

Starting the body repair class on Monday and will get the old girl ready to get painted in the next few months. 

Thanks. :)

The mirrors are off an XT (aka Vortex in your country) which were already white.

I bet that Touring wagon looked good in green and silver! I've always loved the Touring wagons, but they're so hard to find!

It wasn't bad, I bought it as a written off hail damaged car & the price included a respray. Wanted it in yellow/silver, but that was "too hard"...

Tell you what, I'll find a rust-free touring wagon to send over, and you find me a rust free coupe to send over :P

Gut the firewalls of each to convert over to our needed requirements

dreaming....