Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Did you get the centre bearing brackets that are welded into the trans tunnel? It's the only bodyshell difference between 4wd & fwd models.

cos FWD models are missing this part. Just get the mcut out of a wreck, clean them up, bolt up to the tailshaft so you can position them & get them welded in (just make sure you have the carpet lifted first, cos you don't want that catching on fire...)

does the EA82 centre bearing support just fit also  as easily in an EA81 trans tunnel - any idea ?

Something else I thought about but didn't - recover interior lights, coolant overflow bottle bracket and centre bearing support :(

Project "Super Black" continues......finished buttoning up the dash and gauge cluster, and started two-toning the seats (for that super-groovy 70's muscle car theme). Went mostly without a hitch, the only real drama involving the Duplicolor being on the upper steering column cover. For some reason, even protecting it with a cloth while messing with the cluster, it started to peel off in little sheets, unlike any other surface in the car. It could be a slightly different kind of plastic (there are several and many different kinds I've discovered so far) which just doesn't take color at all, or I didn't prep it well enough.

Finished off the afternoon by slotting the drivers seat and consoles into the Sube.

DSCN1259_zps87f8b306.jpg

DSCN1258_zps29a94ea9.jpg

Haven't even started on the door panels, they'll be going two-tone also just to keep a theme. Seats are still probably going to end up with some leopard-print covers on them.

*EDIT: annnnnnnnnnnnnd.........the cluster surround has to come back out. Have to rotate the LED bulbs for the 'Hazard' and 'Fan 1-2-3-4', they aren't lighting up. Drat. Let's hope Murphy doesn't strike and something gets messed up pulling it back off.

Edited by SmashedGlass
  • Like 1

What kind of LEDs did you get??

And yesterday I took my seat covers off to figure out that someone must have been drinking the blackest coffee known to man and spilling every cup possible:(.

Carpet spot cleaner I have kinda worked but sucked all the spills out and made it worse!!!!! Then I went to the wet towel with a steam iron and it worked amazing, still need to give it another session but it looks way better...yay

4c8d54e53854757de8559ceb5c7a211f.jpg

Oh and after the seat cover removal I found out I have a little lumbar support lever:) bonus!!!! Also took my drivers seat out to figure out why it felt so worn, I think the springs are just done so I took some huge zip ties and ran them through the springs so the spring wouldn't extend and viola feels like new...yay:)

Anyhoo have a good day guys!!!

Disco.

Edited by Discombobulated

Hey Dis, i bought one of those Bissel Autol ProHeat cleaners off amazon for $100 and that thing made my seats look brand new! Took every stain and discoloration out, whats cool about it as well is it heats the water/cleaner solution up. Nice job on your seats though i never though of the iron trick!

Yesterday I prepped the patient for surgery with an exterior wash. Then i assembled the engine hoist I had sitting in two boxes for almost a year. It was lat by the time I got started on this, but this afternoon it concluded with this:

100_0630.jpg

I am on the hunt for the elusive oil leak. It has been hitting my exhaust and making a cloud of smoke and leaving the engine bay looking filthy:

100_0633.jpg

• Like 1

What kind of LEDs did you get??

And yesterday I took my seat covers off to figure out that someone must have been drinking the blackest coffee known to man and spilling every cup possible:(.

Carpet spot cleaner I have kinda worked but sucked all the spills out and made it worse!!!!! Then I went to the wet towel with a steam iron and it worked amazing, still need to give it another session but it looks way better...yay

Disco.

Got mine off FleaBay. T10 5SMD for the main illumination and turn signals, T5 inverted tip for all of the idiot lights and other lighting, and two T5 3SMD for the main illumination in the two side clusters (HVAC controls and Hazards; these are the two I need to flip around).

I'm going to eventually rent a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachments from a local store to do my seats and door fabrics. 

Haven't done much. Just saving up for front axles and rear brakes. Oh, I did do my subframe drop. Did a 1" drop, and wow, it made a difference. Axles aren't as stressed, front wheels don't have as much camber, less understeer (more oversteer), and better acceleration (front end doesn't lift up as much). Had to remove the clutch fan shroud, but that was it. The steering u-joint on the '86 DL manual steering rack was long enough.

But that's about it. In the meantime, I'll just continue pulling trucks out of the ditch. B)

ditch_zps0d2f0a2e.jpg

• Like 4

^^Great pic!^^ :)

Cleaned and crowned her(spare), got the old KC fogs on, the shiny shaggy seat covers went on clearance, so I can stop worrying so much about my pretty nice seats ;)   

'DSC03140.jpgpimpin' it :P

I cut all exhaust components off my 87 sedan today.  I am tired of the rattles and I needed to install my new converter and muffler.  Because of how busy I am with school the old girl is going to the shop for new exhaust.  I'm sad that I'm not doing it myself but so happy to be having new pipe from the motor out.  

More teardown on the engine.

100_0636.jpg

First to go those stupid timing belt covers. Leaves me with some bits for the rubbish:

100_0637.jpg

I actually had fun removing those because I got a new toy just for removing them quickly:

879686005124lg.jpg

The good news is I see that the cam seals I installed in 2006 are still good and tight.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Continuing working on the rust removal on the Brat for the past several weeks.  Rockers on both sides were shot, the wheel arch on the passenger side was mostly bondo and rust, and several other areas.  Cut out the rust in drivers side wheel arch, welded in some new metal and then did long strand bondo followed by some light body filler.  Also welded in the passenger wheel arch to the best of my ablility, not perfect, but better than the big rust holes.

The rockers are still being cut up to fit and should should turn out okay over the next few days.  I am determined to get this old ride painted before the last paint class on June 3rd. I would post pictures but not really in the mood to read comments about my welding skills.  I have learned a lot over the last couple of months, mostly that I will never take on a rusty project again.  The amount of time to get it perfect is beyond my capability, but at least this Brat will be good for many more years rather than ending up at the junkyard because of the cancer.  To those of you that are good at body work, damn! I always thought body work would be easy, but I have been seriously humbled by this experience.

Today, repaired exhaust for the 3rd time, nopefully the last time until I am able to replace the whole exhaust system.

UPS LOST both of my 8 1/2 foot stainless whip antennas, and was not even going to notify me with thier wonderful "tracking" - what's the point of having package tracking if they deliberately refuse to notify you if your package is missing ?!?!? Life is becoming 'Idiocracy' before my eyes.

Notified the place I bought them from two days ago, still have not received any reply, sent another message today.

Still debating on how exactly to mount them. I favor the 'Insect' antenna look, bit not much room for mounting large/heavy antennas or antanna ball mounts on the cab/top with a T-Top...

• Like 1

does the EA82 centre bearing support just fit also  as easily in an EA81 trans tunnel - any idea ?

Something else I thought about but didn't - recover interior lights, coolant overflow bottle bracket and centre bearing support :(

Never tried :P

I'd suggest getting them out of an EA81 model. They're probably different enough between the bodyshells.

Though probably nothing that a big hammer, angle grinder & welder wouldn't fix :P

Nothing exciting, but it always feels good to get things back to working order.

Replaced/ fixed the window crank handle that I broke while trying to install sound deadening on the front driver's door.

Drilled out and replaced a bolt that snapped off while removing the rear seat bottom.

Thanks for the help Shawn.

j.

Not much is done for me lately.  Installed the new tail lights last Thursday, made a huge difference.  As far as what I get to do today, I have to go to the different body shops around town and get estimates on what its going to take to fix the giant dent in the drivers quarter panel that my co worker put there last night and didnt tell me about (until after I filed a police report for a hit and run and they showed up at her door).  Dent goes about 3.5" deep at its worst and creased the top of the panel right below the seam/rounded edge near the hatch.  may have knocked my hatch alignment out too, its sitting about 1/8-3/16" below the panels when closed.  I estimate about $600-$800 worth of damage, mostly labor and paint/blending.  Its creased right at the tail light as well.  But at least she didnt hit the new light I just installed :rolleyes:

Just got back from the auto body shops.  Car is a total loss most likely, due to the fact that repairs are going to cost more than 75% of the cars value.  Grand total to repair the panel is $1353.58.  18+ hours for labor at $55 an hour plus cost of paint, etc.  :(

Don't let the insurance company 'total' your car.   Prove to them the value of your car.  There was a sticky that showed recent sales prices of our Subarus.    State Farm tried to total my '85 wagon a few years ago... a tree fell on it during a snowstorm.   After I showed them the receipts for all the parts and added my labor... they paid me for the damage.   Therefore... no branded title.

• Like 1

Finally got around to replacing the torn rubber boot on my dual range gearstick (but also with the push button 4wd knob) to the single range style.

Much easier to knock the retianing pin out when the gearstick is on the bench rather than in the car :P

seeing as though we are getting more dark hours, noticed the interior light was only operating on the passenger door. Armed with a screwdriver, found the EA81's are pull out :D , soldered up the near broken pos + power wire, (different to EA82? ) insulated it so not to zap against body as it goes back in, and a quick spray of silicone lubricant. 10 minute job if that. Now my ignition switch light-up works as well :)

Edited by jono