Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

No, I'm saying I did the whole bottom half twice with one can. So even better! The can says to apply 3-4 coats, so I did three. I didn't have to open the second can until I got to the third coat.  :)

I seem to recall a thread here not too long ago asking about bed liner on the interior. I didn't really follow it, so I don't know what the result was. But my interior feels as solid as the day it got sold in 1990; I don't have any disintegrating parts, yet.  B)

If you wanna get blue in a spray can, you're most likely going to have to contact a company and special order it. Or maybe get it in a paint can and brush it on? 

Edited by jj421

My plan was to paint the lowest portiomn of my brat, below the trim, navy blue; then above there, royal blue, and beyond that I have not decided.

But that lowest area is pretty slim, so I could get away with using this stuff in black on that portion, then put the navy blue above that, royal blue from there up, maybe the whole rest of the Brat, with details and bits in either navy blue or metallic blue. I don't want to use too much royal blue on it, because as long as there is still the original white paint on it, it might look too....'effeminate' ??? ( Modern politically correct thought control avoidance there, lol...)

Ya know, that stuff could be very good undercoating for most of the underside of the vehicle, except where it might be close to a heat source, like the tail pipe.

It would make good protection in general, and especially against rust, which loves the underside of a vehicle...

• Like 1

Ya know, that stuff could be very good undercoating for most of the underside of the vehicle, except where it might be close to a heat source, like the tail pipe.

It would make good protection in general, and especially against rust, which loves the underside of a vehicle...

Funny thing. I looked under my wagon the other night, and I have absolutely no rust underneath. Why? Everything, everything, is caked in a layer of dirt. There's a good layer of dirt on top of everything, and I kinda think that's preventing it from rusting. Maybe I'm stupid and know nothing, but this dirt has covered everything and is protecting the actual metal. If you clean off the dirt, the metal is clean and shiny. Maybe frequent offroading is saving my car. shrug.gif

The blue would be cool. Make sure to post a picture when/if you do it. I'm slightly color blind, so I can't tell you if those shades will look good together. But if you do it in bed liner, it will be cool! :) Would you just be doing the bottom half in bed liner, or the whole car? If you did the top as well, that'd be one strong Brat. But it'd probably be unnecessary time and money.

• Like 1

Hey! How'd you get my car?!? Lmao

Got some black truck bed liner and did the bottom half of my wagon in it. Took care of some of the rust, the bed liner should make it strongholds for offroading, and the two tone looks pretty good in my opinion. At least with red/black.

I've also got two new front axles. So no more clicking/knocking, for now. :rolleyes:

P1110728_zpsacdca73d.jpg

P1110731_zps6b36e6fc.jpg

Edited by TallonX

Funny thing. I looked under my wagon the other night, and I have absolutely no rust underneath. Why? Everything, everything, is caked in a layer of dirt. There's a good layer of dirt on top of everything, and I kinda think that's preventing it from rusting. Maybe I'm stupid and know nothing, but this dirt has covered everything and is protecting the actual metal. If you clean off the dirt, the metal is clean and shiny. Maybe frequent offroading is saving my car. shrug.gif

The blue would be cool. Make sure to post a picture when/if you do it. I'm slightly color blind, so I can't tell you if those shades will look good together. But if you do it in bed liner, it will be cool! :) Would you just be doing the bottom half in bed liner, or the whole car? If you did the top as well, that'd be one strong Brat. But it'd probably be unnecessary time and money.

Hmmm.... You seem to have a point, but I am wondering if the underside, and the dirt protecting it, just don't get wet very often or for very long, as that dirt would actually hold the water against the metal over time, as opposed to the water naturally drying in basically minutes once the source of the water ceased. However, I see you live in Washington, so water is a semi-regular occurance there.

There could be contributing factors too, - where did your subaru spend most of its life before you got it? Maybe in dryer areas?

My Brat has same thing. LIttle to no rust underneath, lots of tenacious dirt.

Personally, I think we both may just be lucky, and have subarus that have not been exposed to too much road salt and water, and may have spent time in drier regions.

If you have no rust, then what better reason! You won't have to scour rust off in order to put the bed liner on! - Preventative maintenance!

Hey! How'd you get my car?!? Lmao

Don't you know ?!? - just look at the picture! He obviously traded-out those lights on top for that spare tire on top! lol... That, or maybe you guys crossed each other's paths unkowingly in some parking lot, and accidentally switched cars?  Alien abduction and return? They are twins switched at birth?

Hmmm.... You seem to have a point, but I am wondering if the underside, and the dirt protecting it, just don't get wet very often or for very long, as that dirt would actually hold the water against the metal over time, as opposed to the water naturally drying in basically minutes once the source of the water ceased. However, I see you live in Washington, so water is a semi-regular occurance there.

There could be contributing factors too, - where did your subaru spend most of its life before you got it? Maybe in dryer areas?

My Brat has same thing. LIttle to no rust underneath, lots of tenacious dirt.

Personally, I think we both may just be lucky, and have subarus that have not been exposed to too much road salt and water, and may have spent time in drier regions.

If you have no rust, then what better reason! You won't have to scour rust off in order to put the bed liner on! - Preventative maintenance!

My wagon was originally purchased in SE Wyoming back in 1990. Then at some point before 2003, it got sold and moved to Montana. Then in 2012, that guy moved to Washington and I bought it. Wyoming is a pretty dry state (compared to the NW), but Montana sees it's fair share of rain and snow. So it spent 10+ years there in that climate.

Maybe I just got lucky. My wagon had 253K on it when I bought it, so it was obviously driven and maintained. It wasn't parked on grass for years, allowing rust to form. Now I have got it up to 278K miles, so I'm definitely driving it.  :)

It has body rust. In the pictures I posted, you can kinda see a hole under the left taillight. That's the biggest damage from the rust. There were some other small holes that I covered up when I did the paint.

Have you Earned some "Warning Points" Perhaps:confused: 

Ya know... I wuold think that I would have, but not as of yet anyway, lol....

Maybe I broke the server with all my rabid posting?

Yesterday and this morning I could not evan bring the site up at all...

My 4 speed trans shot craps way back in February... but I finally got around to yanking the motor and trans out! Made a list of things to repair and/or reseal before the motor and new trans go back in.... Still debating whether or not I want to mess with the modifications to do the 5 speed swap, or just let Jerry do it....

And let me add that is the only transmission to get nicely wrapped in a blanket and get a personal tour of Puget Sound, heading East over the Kingston/Edmonds ferry and back West again via the Bremerton ferry.

That transmission has perhaps had more ferry rides than many of the members here. :P

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

Changed the springs out on Wedge. 250 lbs/in Ground Control Coilovers front and rear.  Almost neutral feeling. Ride is firm, but not harsh. I'm liking it. :)

14109174998_d57eea0535_c.jpg

The rear is a wee tall, but that's only temporary. I have a set of 08+ WRX rear Konis to put back there which will drop the rear about an inch or so. Just have to repair them. :)

... Was going to post pics but it's telling me forbidden

Try an External Picture Hostin' Website, such like Photobucket, Flikr, Facebook, etc... 

Just copy the URL for the Photo uploaded there, and paste it here,

using the Dialog Box that opens when you hit the Green Button,

under the :)  and the A at the upper control panel.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo