Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Added this,

Yeah, I know, its a cassette deck.

But it's a 1988 Subaru, that I intend to take out and drive often.

post-47639-0-00535600-1401640096_thumb.jpg

it replaced a worn out clarion with display issues. (also a cassette)

the bummer is that I had to hardwire it in. Whomever originally put in the first aftermarket radio cut the harness.

Irritating and troublesome for future retro-fitting.

But not insurmountable.

could only post the one photo, need to resize others.

Or maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Oh!

I also added some bass!

post-47639-0-06536200-1401641454_thumb.gif

That is the reason I need the wagon,

Gotta haul this monster around.

Yeah, its large (and older than I am)

but even so, it is FAR better than playing accordion!

(yeah, I've done that too, I still have nightmares over it)

Having trouble resizing photos, probably for the best.

Such is life...

Respectfully,

• Like 6

Jeszek, that UEL exhaust is awesome! Is it for yours?

Nope, those are built by a guy named Willy Fisterbottom who is a Member of AUSubaru.com forums; in fact there is a whole thread going there, just about his name... The question about those unequal Exhaust, is this:

Beside an Engine's sound Change, there could be any other advantage / disadvantage with that Setup?

Seems like it would transfer heat to the Oil Filter / Timing Belts area.

Kind Regards.

as usual on my posts, underlined words are web links

Tsuru, is that moss growing in your car, and what type of stuff do you play?

About the tape...

I think its either Silcher and Skyrud, or a bluegrass tape. (heck, might even be Alan Parsons project, I was checking the deck with whatever I had on hand)

By the way, I got the deck for a whopping $2 at a yard sale!

I play Bass with a Bluegrass band, (the Mike and Tari Conroy Band, real old timey stuff)  But mandolin and fiddle (sometimes 12 string guitar) with my Folk group. (tin cup)

yeah, I'm in two bands!

it's a hobby, and keeps me sane.

That, and now exploring the mountain trails with the Subaru!

Fun things!

Pax vobiscum

timothy

• Like 1

Scored a Dual brand mechless am/fm/digital media player today to pair up with the Kenwood speakers I got from Suprjohn :)  XM4110 is the model number, should fit in perfect with a Metra dash kit.  No idea if it works or not, and not sure if I'll use it honestly, since its missing the 12 pin wiring harness that plugs into the back and wires up to the vehicle 14 pin reverse harness, as well as the DIN cage.  A replacement on on fleabay is $20 and the din cage runs $12.  Since I can get this unit brand new on fleabay for $35 shipped, its not really worth it to pick up the missing pieces just to try this out and see if it works...The seller has a best offer listed though, so I may be able to get everything cheaper.

Who knows though, I may end up using it for now until I can get my JVC system ordered and put in.  Its still cheaper and better than the stock system currently is...

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

Finished wiring and mounting the Gentex-177 auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature display, that I pulled from some fat Chrysler SUV in a pick'n'pull before leaving Colorado in '12. 

DSCN1282_zps9358f231.jpg

Yes, it really IS that hot at 8pm here.

• Like 4

Finished wiring and mounting the Gentex-177 auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and temperature display, that I pulled from some fat Chrysler SUV in a pick'n'pull before leaving Colorado in '12. 

DSCN1282_zps9358f231.jpg

Yes, it really IS that hot at 8pm here.

I have to get one of those!!!

Installed a rebuilt Hitachi carb that I bought from National for $150.  I rebuilt two carbs for the Brat over the past year but never got it quite right.  The old beast fired right up and settled into a steady idle after it warmed up.  Also much smoother rev throughout the power band.  I am sure the old carbs were leaking at the throttle plate, and now the exhaust is actually tolerable.  I would have done the Weber but the emissions here are a pain.

On a side note, installed some new struts, but still cannot get the struts to line up with the two bolts on the bottom mount position, I am off by only a 1/2", any ideas? I am out of patience and I am sure I am not the only one to have this situation.  Thanks guys!

Replaced a supposedly 'rebuilt' SPFI injector with a good used one.

Just exchanged the IAC onto another TBI upper body after a good cleaning.

Symptom was sluggish response from low RPM with all other things being equal - like timing at 20*, etc.

Made a BIG difference in throttle response.

Next will be a new PCV - oil consumption is high & get the morning start up smoke cloud sometimes.

• Like 1

Do the sun visors clear it?

Barely, but the stock visors are fairly....flexible. Where they do just barely touch when lowering or raising them, combined with how stiff the Chrysler mirror arm is, there is no jostling of the mirror. It's mounted to the glass with a new Chrysler mirror button and the 3M mirror adhesive.

I could've placed it a bit lower on the glass and then there'd be no touching from the visors at all, but I screwed up my guesstimation when setting up the harness and reinstalling the headliner, didn't leave enough slack in the harness to place it lower than where I put it. It's good in that spot though.

Edited by SmashedGlass

Replaced a supposedly 'rebuilt' SPFI injector with a good used one.

Just exchanged the IAC onto another TBI upper body after a good cleaning.

Symptom was sluggish response from low RPM with all other things being equal - like timing at 20*, etc.

Made a BIG difference in throttle response.

Next will be a new PCV - oil consumption is high & get the morning start up smoke cloud sometimes.

Could you elaborate on the IAC part a bit? What is it and such?

I have SPFI on my loyale and I get a stumble at low revs with 3/4 throttle. As well as a very rare intake backfire when I gun it while cruising. (checking timing tomorrow)

Been messing with my a/c, removed the hotwire to the compressor, put plug back together,... doing other stuff, -suddenly it's working! Haven't had a car with working air for awhile, still need to shut it off to accelerate from stoplights, & uphill.

Also, I've been trying to get the timing advanced to +20, with no luck -it will ping under load anywhere past 16, and the top end power is miserable(nothing left in 5th gear). This motor is just happier around 10-12 degrees advanced, and mileage is better there, too.

Seems to always have a slight ping taking off from a stop -anyone else get this?

Could you elaborate on the IAC part a bit? What is it and such?

I have SPFI on my loyale and I get a stumble at low revs with 3/4 throttle. As well as a very rare intake backfire when I gun it while cruising. (checking timing tomorrow)

I'll post a new thread about what I'd done so anyone who searches doesn't have to have a tough time in this long, long, long thread.

• Like 1

Thank you Jes and czny.

New driver's side front axle in the GL. Now I've got two new in the front and one junkyard axle in pass back. Just gotta do that driver's side rear.

It's great to be able to accelerate briskly from a stop again, and be able to take turns with my foot on the throttle instead of coating them.

Doing the front driver's on the Loyale tomorrow. Oil change as well. Ben (the Loyale) is less than 200 miles away from his 100k mile birthday!

• Like 1