Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Driver's front done on the Loyale. It was a band-aid axle I rebuilt that was on my GL and only meant to be on there for about 1k. It was on there for about 4k miles. It did it's job.

New axle was a bitch.

Changed oil, mobil 1 + filter. New air filter. Adjusted timing but it was only off -2*. Still got my slight hiccup. Oh well.

Drove the PandaWagon to Phoenix to check out ComiCon - still overheating. :( I had to stop 3 times to let the cooling system cool down enough to burp the air back out of the cooling system and refill it. I'd loose about 3/4 of a gallon in about 20 miles. :eek

The radiator cap and thermostat are new. I don't think it's them.

To get me home, I did this:

14399842823_8595525eab_c.jpg

It let the air out but didn't let the coolant out. :) I also did no more than about 68 MPH (3200 RPM) on the interstate and 55 on the state highways. Between the two, I managed to get home without her overheating. :)

From doing some internet searching, it's a head gasket. :(

Nope, those are built by a guy named Willy Fisterbottom who is a Member of AUSubaru.com forums; in fact there is a whole thread going there, just about his name... The question about those unequal Exhaust, is this:

Beside an Engine's sound Change, there could be any other advantage / disadvantage with that Setup?

Seems like it would transfer heat to the Oil Filter / Timing Belts area.

Kind Regards.

as usual on my posts, underlined words are web links

The factory turbo manifold wraps around the front of the engine also, but its double skinned. I'd be installing a heat shield between the pipe & the filter.

The biggest problem with the factory pipes is squashing them when running off-road. The turbo's don't have this issue cos the ipe is higher & then goes over the engine crossmember, not under it.

• Like 1

Drove the PandaWagon to Phoenix to check out ComiCon - still overheating. :( I had to stop 3 times to let the cooling system cool down enough to burp the air back out of the cooling system and refill it. I'd loose about 3/4 of a gallon in about 20 miles. :eek

The radiator cap and thermostat are new. I don't think it's them.

To get me home, I did this:

14399842823_8595525eab_c.jpg

It let the air out but didn't let the coolant out. :) I also did no more than about 68 MPH (3200 RPM) on the interstate and 55 on the state highways. Between the two, I managed to get home without her overheating. :)

From doing some internet searching, it's a head gasket. :(

Welcome to the club. ;)

The factory turbo manifold wraps around the front of the engine also, but its double skinned. I'd be installing a heat shield between the pipe & the filter.

The biggest problem with the factory pipes is squashing them when running off-road. The turbo's don't have this issue cos the ipe is higher & then goes over the engine crossmember, not under it.

This should be in the Historic forum as it’s in a 77 2 door

but, it has an EA81 so I guess it can go here….

I was concerned with heat transfer from the headers but, I’ve checked oil temps

and it hasn’t gone up, even if it did I’m running 20W 50 so I can afford a bit

more heat in the oil. I don’t think I’ll hit anything as the pipe isn’t hanging low and it’s not a 4wd

You have to admit it is arguably the best sounding EA81 in

the world……..

• Like 1

My ignition switch would not release.  I couldn't turn the car off let alone get the key out. 

Sprayed some Tri-Flow into the cylinder the other day and the problem seems to be fixed for now.

I've had that happen before. The tumbler is worn out and you'll have to replace it. Probably should do it sooner than later.

Yahoo,, it's A-Live,,,  Had picked up a '91 Loyal Wagon with bad head gaskets.   Ordered up a set of Stone Head gaskets and got them in.   Sounds fine running smooth and quite.   So far a good investment.. $350 mostly straight 137K miles...   $150 parts,,    equals runner...

• Like 1

I Like the Pencil and Zip Tie idea also;

but is sad to know that the PandaWagon is Overheatin' ...

Have you checked for clogged Radiator and / or Stuck Thermostat?

That's where I started. I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, radiator, and water pump. But none of them solved it. :(

84 Brumby got plain old oil change as per evertime od hits another 10,000km, last one indicated 360,000, this one 370.000. Amazed as this speedo unit is the fourth one I have installed in fifteen years and it still counts, though nedle guts or cable needs a lube - getting wavering. Valvoline 15W40 Engine Armour of the like, and must do filter included. Oil looked a bit dirtier than I expected out of the cleaned out internals EA82. The engine Y pipe metal screws got a new lease of life on the double walled pipe, bigger thread size this time.

I've had that happen before. The tumbler is worn out and you'll have to replace it. Probably should do it sooner than later.

It got stuck again... so replacement is probably best at this point.

Question for you all: is it easier to just grab an ignition switch and key from a junker, or is this a part I can actually order and replace?  I would rather not have to use two keys (door, and ignition) but it seems unavoidable now.

dang, CEL came on this morning on the WRX. boost is killed. Probably means the tumble generator valve code I had a coupla years ago is back. I'll scan the codes when I get home.

thinking about paying a shop to install a TGV delete, and probably have them install the block-off plates for my non-functioning air cut valves while they have it apart.

ugh