Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

At the risk of sounding dumb...I haven't made any serious mods to my 87 GL, yet. But the kid who owned it before me definitely did. While I was trying to figure out an AC leak, I removed the glove compartment for better access and saw a speaker--right behind the center-right AC vent. Then I found one hidden to the bottom left of the steering wheel. I've never owned a Subaru before and I have no idea if these speakers are supposed to be there or if this kid made special mounting brackets and just found room to place them. I've showed them to several car audio places and the general response is something like, "what the hell?!" If this is in fact a mod, then I'll probably take them out (they don't work right now). What do y'all think? I did find it strange that the only speakers are in the back, with the exception of the tweeters in the front doors.

I can't tell y'all how happy I am to have found this forum. I'll probably be browsing all these topics well into the early morning hours lol.

Inasmuch as I have been trying to do only positive things to my newly acquired GL-10 with the EA82T in it...I am afraid I've donked it up.

Heading home...cruising at 65 and just basically enjoying life in general. (yeah I don't speed very often)

Suddenly, Great clouds of billowy steam envelope the vehicle and the temp gauge starts to rise...rapidly.

Shut down and coast to the side of the road, pop the hood and discover the turbo coolant line ruptured. The coolant line really only comes into play when you shut down the engine after a playful romp, thermo-siphoning coolant  to keep things coke free.

But sudden rupture of any coolant line is not a good thing...especially in these little beasties.

New part on order, but still trying to find info here about how to change the silly little hose. Or maybe it's just not that difficult and I'm fretting over nothing at all.

OR...

It's a nightmarish adventure into knuckle bleeding agony, wrench throwing and epithet spewing hell that nobody posts about because it is a process best never spoken of again.

either way I'm about to find out.

(just hope no more damage was done, crossing fingers that the pass side HG survived)

And about a swap to an EJ22...

No...just...no...

the body is rough, and a 220K miles the entirety of the vehicle does not warrant such an expenditure.

besides...really...how many of the old EA82Ts are really left out there anymore, with everybody doing all this swapping.

I'd rather have a rare beastie that runs right, than a hybrid that everyone has. (I got 27 MPG between Darby and Missoula without even trying!)

Dual range 5 speed...sure...why the heck not..

But only if this engine is toast will I consider swapping it out for the almighty EJ22..

so...when I get the part in I'll post pictures about the change.since I cannot find anything on it using the search.

(which sucks by the way...nothing I look for comes up, must be my incompetence in using the search function)

More later...

(a dealership in Oregon has three of the hoses I need, and I only need one, at least they are still available)

frustratedly,

timothy

Nothing exciting. Finally got my new genuine OEM Subaru fuel level sender with thermistor in the mail, and installed. 

Apparently, I have more gas in my tank than I thought.....

:lol:

BONUS!

Celebrate with some doughnuts!

(wait, that's like celebrating your one month sobriety with a shot of tequila).

By the way Twitch, Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at it and it looks like a true puppy to get to without pulling the turbo...

I'm not opposed to yanking it, but not really wanting to start pulling things off if I can help it.

Of course, if the motor is stuffed, the whole thing gets yanked and rebuilt.

of if someone wants to give me an EJ22 with a DR5sp...

(Ok, back to reality.)

If anyone is interested, the coolant hose to the turbocharger is Part # 14448AA002

I couldn't find it online anywhere.

(even here)

More later...

Continued and abiding Respects,

quietly,

timothy

Loyale 2.7, I was poking around in my Ru earlier today and took some pictures of the speakers I mentioned. I tried to take out the speaker on the left (driver side) but when I unscrewed the mounting I found out that the wires were still connected to something...not sure what and I don't like messing with wires so I'll hold off on that one. The speaker on the right, one image is the view from inside where the glove compartment would be and looking up, it's kind of hard to see the speaker but I couldn't get a better angle b/c it's a tight space. The last picture of the right speaker is the view looking through the vents (where the AC should be blowing).

The amount of effort it must have taken to create these custom mounts and install them in such hard to reach and cramped spaces is insane! Even crazier, is that the kid who owned it before me never mentioned them. He told me everything else he did with the car so I'm baffled as to why he left this out. Oh well. If I can get them hooked up and working for pretty cheap I may just keep them.

-Colz

post-53899-0-57078800-1403730160_thumb.jpg

post-53899-0-98427000-1403730198_thumb.jpg

post-53899-0-08695000-1403730226_thumb.jpg

post-53899-0-44869900-1403730236_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Loyale 2.7, I was poking around in my Ru earlier today and took some pictures of the speakers I mentioned...

Thank you for sharing those Pictures.

When you Wrote 87 GL, I Thought that it was an EA82, Now I see it is a Hatchback, isn't it?

Certain japanese cars from the '70's and '80's had vertical mounted oval speakers down under the vents, others had a mid dashboard opening for a single speaker placement, for the AM radios on the very basic models... I'm not saying that those are factory speakers, but maybe the one who did that, took the idea from one of those models...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info! It makes a little more sense now. Even though they aren't factory speakers, I have no clue what could have gone there in their place. If I get them hooked up and working I'll let y'all know! Thanks again!

-Colz

Subaru Nut, normally I would think that a possibility but the owners before were an elderly couple who only used the GL for weekend trips to Ruidoso, NM--which explains why the mileage was so low when I bought it. When I first bought it I found some wiring in the back that was more than likely hooked up to some subs. I took those out and am trying to keep everything in the GL as original as possible :-)

-Colz

Got up to C&D Engine Shop in Kirkland and picked up the passenger side head. I didn't drive over from Bremerton but rather got a lift from a friend at work who then dropped me and the head off in Seattle to walk to the ferry. I am probably the only person ever to backpack an EA82 head around the streets of Seattle.

Tomorrow I will go to the dealer to get the main seals front and back and the cam tower O-Rings. Slowly but surely it is coming together.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 3

... I am probably the only person ever to backpack an EA82 head around the streets of Seattle...

I understand that! ... I also went with a Broken EA82 Head on my Backpack in 1995, searching for a Repair Shop that could weld aluminium... I ended buying two new heads (Gen 3) at the Dealer, on that date, it was cheaper than repair the old ones; as you can see, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/?p=1115734

Kind Regards.

About changing the turbo coolant line to the turbocharger...

Timothy, that hose is a bear to get at.

I paid a mechanic to do it for me because it sucked so much.

Best wishes.

Twitch

OH MY GOODNESS,

Twitch You were RIGHT!

That little bit of hose was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

I ended up having to PULL the turbo just to remove ONE little banjo bolt!

That meant disconnecting everything that was associated with the turbo, (intake, output, exhaust output, three nuts to the header assembly...)

I know far more than I ever wanted to know about that little monster.

BUT...

she lives on and the best part is that she DID NOT blow a headgasket, no water in the oil, or oil in the water, no coked turbo bearings, no (major) cracked heads (I've heard that these heads crack at the dealership while waiting to be sold...it's a feature)

So I'll continue to drive her and just enjoy what is left of her nine lives.

I say nine because she had a new radiator when I got her so there is some history of cooling system troubles in the past.

so goodness knows how many times she overheated before she came into my life.

Pictures...ain't happening, I started to document but got so fed up I just wanted to get on to the next step.

perhaps I will post what I have, but for now suffice the theater of imagination to play out the important bits...mostly fussing at the amount of heat shielding surrounding the turbo. and the lack of space to maneuver in while trying to turn a wrench.

Bottom line...She lives on and isn't going to a junk yard anytime soon.

Thankfully,

Timothy

DSC06112_zpsc8eccff6.jpg

Toyota Hiace van (2005 +/- a year) donated this spare tyre carrier. Will need some surgery if I am to get a towbar in - only thought of this shortcoming after.

Is 89 Brumby. The swing arm brackets bolt through the lower ridges of the tray floor, with reinforcement coming later. Lowering bolt goes through floor as well

Don't try this yourself unless you have removed the factory fuel tank, I'd hate for you to go hunting for the carrier then try .....

Now, with the wheel outta the way, I can reverse the feeder for the twins - IMPCO 100 mixer feeding from an L converter. Converter would normally be a J or "Cobra" size, but supposed to work on an L, that will eventually be supplying an IMPCO 200 mixer and an EA82T

DSC06124_zpsf95fadd3.jpg

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

About changing the turbo coolant line to the turbocharger...

OH MY GOODNESS,

Twitch You were RIGHT!

That little bit of hose was a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE!

I ended up having to PULL the turbo just to remove ONE little banjo bolt!

That meant disconnecting everything that was associated with the turbo, (intake, output, exhaust output, three nuts to the header assembly...)

I know far more than I ever wanted to know about that little monster.

BUT...

she lives on and the best part is that she DID NOT blow a headgasket, no water in the oil, or oil in the water, no coked turbo bearings, no (major) cracked heads (I've heard that these heads crack at the dealership while waiting to be sold...it's a feature)

So I'll continue to drive her and just enjoy what is left of her nine lives.

I say nine because she had a new radiator when I got her so there is some history of cooling system troubles in the past.

so goodness knows how many times she overheated before she came into my life.

Pictures...ain't happening, I started to document but got so fed up I just wanted to get on to the next step.

perhaps I will post what I have, but for now suffice the theater of imagination to play out the important bits...mostly fussing at the amount of heat shielding surrounding the turbo. and the lack of space to maneuver in while trying to turn a wrench.

Bottom line...She lives on and isn't going to a junk yard anytime soon.

Thankfully,

Timothy

So you think that job was bad...

Now imagine doing it on a right hand drive model with the brake booster in the way & the steering column snaking it's way past also :o

I SHOULD be putting all my shiny SUBARU parts together right now. I ordered new head bolts but my only other ride, the #$#!!!@#@%%$%%$$#@#@!@$#$ DODGE, decided all its smart alecky computers would stop talking to each other. Now I got no speedo, no tach, no fuel gauge, no temp, no oil press gauge, no charge indicator, no turn signal. The odometer reads "NO BUS".

Do you think that you can just hit the horn button and a switch closes to honk the horn? Noooo sireee. In fancy pants land, we got to have a computer in that horn sending a signal over a PCI (not the same PCI desktop pc's use) bus to another computer at the fuse box which will then switch on your horn. Same thing with headlights and turn signals.  

The fuse box isn't just fuses, nope. It is an "Integrated Power Module" (IPM).  It's got to have a computer. And if the fuse box goes bad, that'll be $600 please. Hell for that kind of money, I could hire a midget to sit under the hood turning stuff off and on by voice command!

Oh and this 2002 Dodge only has 40K miles on it. Yeah I am the original sucker er owner.   Soo Thursday I am off to the junk yard to spelunk through the junk for my Dodge.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1