Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

My gl decided to get a bit of a make over by catching on fire. It now rests wherever mac towing took it.

Wow. ... Pics?

Mine tried twice to burn itself down. Had to rip out one flaming alternator and on another occasion rip out the battery to keep some wires shorting

If purchasing a friend for my wagon counts, then I've done something. Bought a 1983 1600cc leone sedan (glf-5). Its in alright condition, a bit rough but no rust  so that's good.

Edited by Tom0

Pictures!

Girlfriends named her Lucy, Lucy the leone.
So far on my list of things to be fixed;
both cvs
Heater
find an am/fm radio
window winders

Passenger (errr driver) wing mirror
Passenger front guard dent and bumber.

Starts and runs great though so im pleased with that.

http://puu.sh/bb3B0/e099f075b6.jpg

http://puu.sh/bb3zG/6941d5ebae.jpg
http://puu.sh/bb3Ag/7878d8c78c.jpg

Fixed my alternator, maxima alternator was sitting loose. Couple washers took care of that. Oil change with a quart of Lucas oil treatment and gear oil change in the trans with another quart of Lucas as well. Gear oil was still relatively clean but lots of bits of metal on the drain plug again. :-\ the 5 speed is still working despite the racket it makes though.

Looking forward to meeting mr Loyale tonight as he iscurrently  making his way down from Maine. Can't wait to see his Loyale and the chromed out motor in it! 

post-29263-0-71050200-1409268778_thumb.jpg

... Looking forward to meeting mr Loyale tonight as he is currently  making his way down from Maine. Can't wait to see his Loyale and the chromed out motor in it! 

Awesome!

You can share photos here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/90572-the-one-behind-the-wheel-pics-of-us/

Agree. Is that a blue or a green?

Looks light Green to me.

Nice EA71 Sedan.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Lucy will clean up nicely!  I don't see anything major wrong with her.  Makes me wanna hurry things along with mine..

On to other news

Went to adjust valves and got the good times going with permatex removal..  I guess I wont be finishing today. Dang it!

Its a green, Sea mist green according to the colour label. Its NZ new i believe so possibly painted here?  Found that the whole passenger side footwell was very wet so pulled the seats/carpet worried about it being rusted on the inside, turns out to be fine. So now going to clean what little surface rust is there and possibly spray/ paint a floor liner while all the carpets off?

Replaced a flaky injector in Wedge. It was driving me mad: When cold, it was fine. Once it was halfway warmed up, I'd loose a cylinder. But if I continue to drive it, it would clear up after fully warmed up for 10 miles or so. So weird. But, it's solved now. :banana:

Passenger side front axle outer boot ruptured so I decided to replace the whole axle since it had been in there for several years and I suspected it to be the remaining source of the front end noise.  Replacing it  finally got rid of all that annoying noise. All smooth running and quiet now. 

Turned out the shop that did the axle last time had put in the wrong axle type ! 

Got to cracking on trying to nail down my girlfriend's Loyales intermittent non start conditions. Put in a new, remanufactured starter from autozone (found an etching on the old one from whomever must have installed it. Initialed with the date 7/11/03), cleaned up all connections, ground, 12v, replaced the connector that attaches to the 1/4" spade terminal as it was loose. Car still wouldn't start with electrical accessories on. Swapped batteries with my GL and seems to be okay for now. Only time will tell.

Also replaced the shoes and shoe springs on the rear and repacked the bearings with fresh grease.

Edited by l75eya

I finished my valve adjustment.. Took my a little longer since I wanted to clean the covers before reinstall.  I double checked each one after adjustment so they should be spot on.  I have got to figure out why I have lifter noise on one side.. It's gonna drive me crazy.  I had it before valve adjustment and still have it..  I did find one intake a little loose and one exhaust was too tight (same area the noise is coming from).  Wonder if it will resolve itself with a little driving?

I guess I will ask in the regular forum.

Edited by Mykeys Toy

Its a green, Sea mist green according to the colour label. Its NZ new i believe so possibly painted here?  Found that the whole passenger side footwell was very wet so pulled the seats/carpet worried about it being rusted on the inside, turns out to be fine. So now going to clean what little surface rust is there and possibly spray/ paint a floor liner while all the carpets off?

I'd be checking why it's wet while it's apart. Leaking heater hoses behidn the dash are a common problem :(

• Like 1

Which Brands, and oil's SAE Number?

I Run my "BumbleBeast" with 20W~50 since New...

With Purolator 10028 Oil Filter.

Kind Regards.

Mobile 1 high mileage 10W-30. Wanted 10W-40 but I had to settle for what I could get at the time. I think it will be OK with that. I am also using that same Purolator filter. I got an air filter on order from the local auto parts store for tomorrow. No one seems to stock the Loyale air filters anymore and they are special order.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Mobile 1 high mileage 10W-30. Wanted 10W-40 but I had to settle for what I could get at the time. I think it will be OK with that. I am also using that same Purolator filter. I got an air filter on order from the local auto parts store for tomorrow. No one seems to stock the Loyale air filters anymore and they are special order.

Well, 10W~30 seems too "Thin" but should be ok, the EA81 owner's manual said something about avoiding the prolongated use of 30, unless its heavy winter time; I know yours is EA82 like mine, but that recipe was widely known here in Latin America for the EA82 also; so they might be run with 10W~40 or 20W~50.

You can read more info about oils and a Scan of said manual, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/126284-how-to-determine-which-is-the-best-motor-oil-for-your-car/

Kind Regards.

I'd be checking why it's wet while it's apart. Leaking heater hoses behidn the dash are a common problem :(

Yeah that was my plan. Although it was wet right back to rear seats so unsure if heater leak would make it that far? Over time it would i suppose.

So, I had a sudden no idle situation. Did some research on this fine forum, and discovered the anti diesel solenoid. Pulled it, gutted it (as there is no hope of finding a replacement,) and idle issue resolved. Sort of.

Upon putting everything back together, I missed a vacuum hose at the back of the breather. So it went from "no idle" to "poor idle." Again I went to the forum. Some carb cleaner showed me where to look, and viola! I'm back to a perfect running Suby again.

I say all of that to say this: Research and exhaust all other avenues before touching an adjustment. If you didn't touch the idle or mixture adjustment in the course if whatever you were doing before it started running differently, that's probably not going to be your issue, and you will only compound matters by adding it to the mix.

Thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge contained here in. Without it, there would be far fewer older Subies on the road.

Dan

• Like 1