Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

It's the junk tray from a gen2 standard (non slant) console. I used a chunk of faux window blind slat for the front plate. When I get the rocker switches I want i'll trim it for a better fit.

TIP: Don't get plastic toggle switches - they are cheap and break easily. If you really want to make it look cool, maybe have at least one secure-covered arming switch (the type where you flip up a cover to reveal the toggle). 'Round hole' switches are much easier to install than 'square hole' types.

- I'm sure you already know this.

If you are willing to wait for a delivery, most components can be bought from Hong Kong on Ebay for a fraction of what they would cost you here, especially since the ones you would buy here usually come from there to begin with, lol...

Edited by Subaruist

Picked up this EA82T wagon.... Thanks to USMB.... Got my 6 lug conversion. Put 1" spacers at the front and changed the springs at the back to get some lift as the rims on are offset. Put on some Toyota Hiace Alloys - 185/70/14. Pics attached. 

Before...... during conversion ..... now

Picked up this EA82T wagon.... Thanks to USMB.... Got my 6 lug conversion. Put 1" spacers at the front and changed the springs at the back to get some lift as the rims on are offset. Put on some Toyota Hiace Alloys - 185/70/14. Pics attached. 

Before...... during conversion ..... now

post-55364-0-24845900-1414392421_thumb.jpg

post-55364-0-95488000-1414392639_thumb.jpg

post-55364-0-45372200-1414396128_thumb.jpg

post-55364-0-25773200-1414396145_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I finally cleaned up my heater plenum, and finished rodent proofing it. Used expanded metal to cover up the cowl drains in the fender wells, and more expanded metal around the shifter opening. Get through that ya little bastards! Freakin rodents

post-25891-0-02889700-1414460077_thumb.jpg

Edited by spazomatic
  • Like 1

Oh and ive been tinkering with rehabilitating my poor dashboard since its out. Used a cheese-grater looking body file to getbthe horrendous high spots out that were around each crack, sanded it all out, and used caulking to fill 'em in. Sanded again then skimmed on another coat of caulking (it shrinks a bit). Not done yet, need to sand it out one more time, then top coat it. (With what, i havent decided)

Heres beforepost-25891-0-58778000-1414460507_thumb.jpg

After roughed in sandingpost-25891-0-98957700-1414460538_thumb.jpg

And how it sits right nowpost-25891-0-52491300-1414460565_thumb.jpg

Your Subaru Looks Beautiful! Thumbup.jpg

Kenya also got the Black Plastic door handles, like Latin America.

I like how the Hiace rims looks on your Subie...

May I ask you which coil springs you used?

Thanks Loyale 2.7 Turbo..

This vehicle (an 86 model.... I suppose) was actually used and imported from Japan to Kenya in 1993 hence the specs.. Black (Metal not Plastic) door handles. Height control n all. Picked it from my father in law who wanted to dispose of it.. I assured him that after I'm done with it, he'll so want it back. :-D

Engine runs fine, with the turbo working BUT with that annoying clicking sound (which I read here is the TOD).. still new to this EA82T engine but with the tons of info here, will def work on it.

I used springs I got from a yard pulled from a Suzuki Vitara.

post-55364-0-68491300-1414475342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Worked further on the suspension. Got all bushes replaced, new CV joints, Ball joints, Rack ends, Tie rods, Stabilizer links, replaced all worn out rubber boots, refilled the 4 gas shock absorbers.

Got the engine n body pressure washed so that I can start monitoring leakages....

Engine before wash..

post-55364-0-32376300-1414477314_thumb.jpg

Engine after wash...

post-55364-0-55281700-1414478018_thumb.jpg

post-55364-0-61546200-1414478224_thumb.jpg

And for the engine sound got a Muffler (To camouflage the TOD) temporarily... Sounds great, heheheee..

post-55364-0-82505300-1414478673_thumb.jpg

Muffler Installed

post-55364-0-32177800-1414479095_thumb.jpg

Now lets run around town and see how it goes.....

• Like 3

Thanks Loyale 2.7 Turbo..

This vehicle (an 86 model.... I suppose) was actually used and imported from Japan to Kenya in 1993 hence the specs.. Black (Metal not Plastic) door handles. Height control n all. Picked it from my father in law who wanted to dispose of it.. I assured him that after I'm done with it, he'll so want it back. :-D

My leones too has those black metal door handles. Those door handles are mostly black in here too but I remember that one of my stepfathers leone STW had chrome ones in it. It's kind of funny to see the door handles painted black in the top range models (like the jchumbs one and my parted out turbo lifted roof STW) and chromed in the lower end models like the GL my stepfather had many years ago. But my 1.6 -88 GL leone coupe has them painted black too. 

I thought it was standard on turbo models to have the blacked out trim (at least in this country).

ie black handles, no chrome strip on the trim around the side windows

It is interesting to see what variations of cars turn up in different places. Wonder if a turbo wagon in Kenya could be one left behind by the factory Subaru team when doing the African WRC in the late 80s/early 90s?

Good to see another Touring Wagon saved :clap:

• Like 1

I thought it was standard on turbo models to have the blacked out trim (at least in this country).

ie black handles, no chrome strip on the trim around the side windows

It is interesting to see what variations of cars turn up in different places. Wonder if a turbo wagon in Kenya could be one left behind by the factory Subaru team when doing the African WRC in the late 80s/early 90s?

Is  the red stripe trim a turbo thing also?

It is Awesome to see Rear Disc Brakes retrofitted on a '74 Subaru!

It must have Front Disc Brakes Already, isn't it?

Could you share more details on the Retrofit?

I'll like to know where did these Rear Discs came from, and how hard was the Job.

Kind Regards.

No discs on the front originally as it came with front drum brakes (as in the first picture).

Basically to fit the rear brakes requires some grinding of the backing plates and the cutting of a notch. Quite simple really! Another member on here has documented it here: http://suburuwagon.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=1

Although those photos show the 4wd it is basically the same.

Rear disc brakes were from a Vortex 2wd or XT as they are called in the USA.

• Like 1

Thanks Wagonist!  :clap:

Not the case. My dad in law bought it from someone who'd just imported it in 1993/4, I saw potential in it hence bought it from him recently as he was contemplating disposing it. It wasn't in use a lot lately, he'd drive it ooonnce in a long while. Has a few issues (Over heating & TOD) but with a perfect interior, everything electronic working, accident free body (just faded paint & minor dents). 

This 1800 ST Touring Wagon model is kinda rare here so Im gonna do my best to restore and preserve it. 

Is  the red stripe trim a turbo thing also?

Out of all the wagons i've seen this side, mine's the only one with the red stripe trim.... found it interesting. I'd really want to know more about the history/specs of the 1800 ST wagons. Pros and cons etc.

Is there anyone who's ever put up info about it? I've Googled it up and I didn't get much on it. Was there any difference between the 1800T & 1800ST?

We never got any turbo wagons here, so can't give you any advice about what was supposed to be the side strips.

GL & RX here got the chrome strip. DLs got no strip, or sometimes a green one.

I did a turbo conversion from a JDM halfcut 15 years ago & I think I remember it being red.

I'm curious about the ST & T model designations.

We only got DL, GL, RX

Today I found that the horrible sound coming from my right front wheel, was, as I suspected, NOT my bearings, as a couple of service outlets had claimed. The axle nut was not torqued on enough due to a small problem near the end of the spindle.

Once that was dealt with, the fix took less than 5 minutes, requireing the extremely technical operation of applying the socket and breaker bar to the axle nut, standing on the breaker bar, and jumping up and down on it a bit to tighten it up more , lol.

Technically, it required about 165 pounds of torque, plus a little due to the original problem with the threads, so at approx. 260 Lbs I think I was able to tighten it up REAL GOOD! lol... Problem fixed.

Got an estimate for a much needed 'adjustments only' tune up for only $30.00, which sounds great to me, but the mechanic, a local subaru man, has a lot of business and I am having trouble matching my time to bring the Brat in with his available times to do the work.

I could use suggestions for an available Subaru-worthy mechanic in the Medford/Ashland Oregon area, especially if they are available Fridays through Sundays some time...

Edited by Subaruist