Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

... knocked up an insulated divider, race car style ...

That looks really interesting...

Let us know if there is a change in the overall engine's sound.

j9sw49.jpg

Oh, that is the Famous Switch I found long time ago, in a Local early EA82T Sedan...

See ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114962-rarest-old-school-subaru-part-or-option/page-12

Kind Regards.

This is How I Corrected the Front's Geometry, back to Stock Specs again:

The 2" SJR lift kit comes with small Engine Crossmember's Blocks

to Gain Ground Clearance, I changed them with another Blocks...

CrossmemberBlocks.jpg

...that brings back the Geometry to close to stock measurements,

Now the Steering Wheel is Soft again and the car seems to be better to Maneuver.

Kind Regards.

I love the simplicity. - I assume I could not do similar improvisation/replacement with my 1983 Brat ???

Crap damn you! Now I will have to get one or maybe TWO of those. :P

LOL !!!

- and they have them available for custom design logos for about $70 - $80. My favorite idea would be to tweak the Subaru symbol to being too wide so that I could shine this on the road ahead of my Brat, and it would compensate for the elongated angle when shone on the street, being that they are designed to shine straight down normally. - But I'm too cheap topay $70 - $80 bucks for them to do that, lol...

knocked up an insulated divider , race car style, to encourage cooler outside air for the intake. Intention is to keep the heat of the radiated air just passed through radiator - away from intake. Took about ten minutes to make using a paper bonded foam sign board available from newsagents, stationers etc

DSC06382_zps29919693.jpg

MKI was white and showed up dirty marks, stained etc, this is MKII, so a little better developed, using faster construction materials such as the pipe insulation and colour contrast silicon - just a big trail of it on the board, lay pipe insulation in roughly preferred path, shut lid to hold things in place while silicon set :)

Was part of a tune up urgently needed due to the EA82 Y pipe I installed. I think it allowed EA81 exhaust valves to run hotter, decreasing the 4 thou hot set clearance to nothing, riding the valves and gave low comp on one bank and serious low speed idle issues once engine was fully warmed up, also increased consumption markedly to about 64 litres for 440km !. Reset tappets to cam maker specs of 6 & 8 thou, new spark plugs BP7ES , range colder for hotter burning propane fuel.

I bettered my target fuel range by 1.6 litres - did 63.35 litres 540 km on propane :)

What a cool idea!

#1: I would be conerned that your engine heat would deform it, but aparently not ?

#2: Any reason you wouldnot want touse aluminum or an exhaust heat shieldmaterial ?

#3: What are the real, practical effects of doing this? Anything that can actually be measured ?

There are Lift Kits for EA81 Subarus as well.

Kind Regards.

Oops - I thought you just had a piece of channel there, which looked pretty easy - I guess there is more to it than that?

Absurd thought # 46-H:

Could I replace my... -'A Frame' or engine mount crossmember in a similar manner?

I have a small oil leak that I suspect is from the oil pan gasket, and found the bolts were a little loose, but cannot get to the rear bolts on it. Doingsomething like that might make things more accessible, andmight play into my futire exhaust replacement. If so,I would definitely have to get a hood scoop, as my present tiny little after-market air cleaner's stud and wing nut have been banging against the underside of my hood a bit.

Edited by Subaruist

In other news....while going to nab a boot and HVAC clips from a junkyard, i scored rear disks assemblies, master cylinder and prop valve off of an 88 RX today for my 84GL! Also found a 93 acura that had the rear calipers w/ E brakes ive been looking for.

So, you are doing This:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129779-the-definitive-rear-e-brake-retrofit-solution/?p=1102844

Awesome!

• Like 1

Ordered some bits for my contuned repair/fix up. The way I see it, if I have to fix something, why not improve things while I am at it, right? So I ordered a set of three DPDT / Center off switches:

DPDTSwitch2_zpsc5d7fcc3.jpg

These are my personal favorite kind of switches if found affordable, as you can do so much with them. You can use them as a simple on/off switsh, or control one way or another up to 4 different things with them.

For my present purposes, I will be using one for my Aux. Driving lights:

SAM_2222_zps4a4b81b6.jpg

One side of the 'ON' will be for two lights only, the other 'ON' will be for all four lights, and of course center will be 'OFF' for them all.

I am debating if I want to do similar with the electric radiator cooling fans.

The mickey-mouse repairs and wiring of the previous owners (Sorry MIckey, didn't mean to insult you) Has both fans on all the time. I assume that at least one of them is probably supposed to be triggered by temperature. Right now, it's getting colder in Oregon, and I simply do not need two radiator cooling fans running when I am trying to get my Brat to warm up.

With this kind of switch, I can have one, both, or neither fan on. I will have to watch the temp guage of course once the Brat is warmed up and I am sitting still idling for a while. May not be critical, not sure, as I am used to the improvised way I was runnning my cooling system before I finally got the last coolant leak fixed.

The little coolant hose that goes from the intake manifold to the base of the Carb was the culprit, so until I could fix it, I left the coolant level at about half the radiator capacity. On the good side, the Brat warmed up faster in the morning, but on the bad side, when I diconnected one fan and was idling after being warmed up, the Brat would get hotter than I would prefer.

Some day, one down the list of repairs, will come re-doing the nightmarish rats nest of wiring that the previous owners Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumberer did to this poor abused masterpeice of engineering I drive, which will be involved, and either painful, expensive, or both.

In the mean time, I plan to bolt a piece of the right size aluminum angle to the ridge under the Driver's seat for  additional switches and such, as it seems to be otherwise unused space, and handy enough to get at while driving. It would also be a good place to put a couple of superbrite LEDs to shine across the floor, and that would be handy for any small thing dropped there.

Otherwise, the space under the seats has been effectively reserved for an Audio amp under one, and maybe a slightly illegal CB/Ham booster under the other, both mounted with military grade or better shock mounting. Maybe a couple of rumble Bass woofers or heavy-duty Bass transducers if space permits, lol.

Edited by Subaruist

Yessir, thats the plan! Actually, my whole plan is to install the disks, and then figure out how im going to operate them with 2 seperate handles, so i can lock either one up selectively.

But first, i need to get her HVAC and interior back together so i can drive the thing. Freakin rodents!

Their population has dwindled significantly this past summer (via Marlin 780), but its hard to beat their birthrate. I think i have the GL hardened against their invasions now, though.

• Like 1

What have I done to my Subaru? Ash got a new pair of studded winter shoes.   What have I done to my budget?  This is me, after hearing the price: :eek:  (shock)          :o (confusion)       :( (acceptance)

112_0253.jpg

If I get stuck in the snow I am throwing them through their window like the old lady in the advertisement:

Edited by MR_Loyale

What have I done to my Subaru? Ash got a new pair of studded winter shoes.   What have I done to my budget?  This is me, after hearing the price: :eek:  (shock)          :o (confusion)       :( (acceptance)

112_0253.jpg

If I get stuck in the snow I am throwing them through their window like the old lady in the advertisement:

- Get a Brat and you won't have to worry about it, lol...

In all the Brats I owned and all the times I drove them, only a handful of times did I ever even put one into 4WD, and then only as a precaution. - There's reasons why some of us are Brat fanatics ! lol...

Edited by Subaruist

- Get a Brat and you won't have to worry about it, lol...

In all the Brats I owned and all the times I drove them, only a handful of times did I ever even put one into 4WD, and then only as a precaution. - There's reasons why some of us are Brat fanatics ! lol...

I don't have time for a Brat (Subaru or otherwise). I am too busy running the foster home for wayward Loyale Sedans. You don't know how much self control it took to not make an offer on Ned.

• Like 1

112_0253.jpg

By the way, NICE RIMS !!! I resist getting aluminum 13" rims, but if I had to, those are among the best looking Subaru rims I have seen ! Simple but cool.

Started removal and teardown/rebuild of my CV axles yesterday. 1986 GL 4wd. So everything came apart fairly well until I got to the "noisy" side. I knocked the axle thru the hub, grabbed it to pull it out and it came apart.

VR3BFiC.jpg

Found where the outermost circlip had broken. Basically it broke both ears off the ends. I've tried all the auto parts stores in town, sans Napa as it's closed til Monday. Headed to the farm stores now to try and rustle one up.

Started removal and teardown/rebuild of my CV axles yesterday. 1986 GL 4wd. So everything came apart fairly well until I got to the "noisy" side. I knocked the axle thru the hub, grabbed it to pull it out and it came apart. VR3BFiC.jpg

Found where the outermost circlip had broken. Basically it broke both ears off the ends. I've tried all the auto parts stores in town, sans Napa as it's closed til Monday. Headed to the farm stores now to try and rustle one up.

So the circlip out at the end of the axle doesn't have ears at all. It's just a round keeper clip that snaps in when you seat the CV to the axle end. Wasted $1.69 but that's ok. Axles rebuilt and going back in w/new wheel bearings and seals.

So the circlip out at the end of the axle doesn't have ears at all. It's just a round keeper clip that snaps in when you seat the CV to the axle end. Wasted $1.69 but that's ok. Axles rebuilt and going back in w/new wheel bearings and seals.

A writeup on this procedure would be super duper awesome. I promise to "like".

Edited by MR_Loyale

Prepped m new injectors to the ea82t engine.

Lower injector from nissan ca18det engine and they are 370cc low impedance injectors:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xpcd13vini99ml/2014-12-02%2019.11.28.jpg?dl=0

And here the middle on fitted with ea82t mounting ware:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhluo8237yrpam1/2014-12-02%2019.12.28.jpg?dl=0

Those nissan ca18det injectors are straight swap and does not need any modifications at all. I've used them before 

with good results. I've used them with standard ecu and they seem to work well with it.

A writeup on this procedure would be super duper awesome. I promise to "like".

sorry, but the picture I posted was the only one of the whole procedure I took. Was using a buddy's shop so the time crunch was a factor. I will say that the axle pictured, the one that came apart upon removal has/had big time problems. Found the inner race (where the bearings ride) had gouges, chipped portions, etc. so I figure that had to be what was making the chatter. I attempted to " smooth out" the bad spots and reinstall it with new boots and grease. However, after 5 days of driving it I'm now experiencing intermittent vibrations, noise and general bad sounds from that axle end. Looks like I'm gonna need to contact Retroroo Shawn for a new axle.

Been Having trouble with the lights on the Brat for awhile now. Seriously, i went thru everything. Last option was to start stripping the harness and i REALLY didn't want to do that. So thanks to a post by Demon Brat I hooked myself up with one of these!

http--,,--//harness_zpsbe180f8d.jpg

It works GREAT! Now i have lights better than ever. Only thing i had to do was rearrange the 3 wires on part of the new harness that plugs into the old harness. What I did for that was take a replacement light plug (dirt cheap at any parts store), Put some spade connectors on the ends, then plug those wires into the old harness in the order I needed, plug the new harness into that and enjoy some lighty goodness!

• Like 2