Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

That's not what broke on mine. My shifter popped out of the half ball it sits in. I fixed it from the interior of the car, disassembling the console.

I don't think you want to make it solid metal, it needs to flex, when there is a load on the transmission and motor, the shifter linkage flexes there. You need it to be flexible. Maybe use a long carriage bolt. Drill through the center of the rubber bushing, and the attaching plate and bolt it together?

• Like 1

... I don't think you want to make it solid metal, it needs to flex, when there is a load on the transmission and motor, the shifter linkage flexes there ...

That's what I thought.

... Maybe use a long carriage bolt. Drill through the center of the rubber bushing, and the attaching plate and bolt it together?

That's a good idea.

I had similar idea of using a thin but long bolt to join everything Back together,

But I feel that the Shifter might end being Loose ... and I Dislike loose Shifters.

So, I'm Open to ideas now... 

Kind Regards.

Do you Know how machine and how to Weld better, Aluminium?

I'm not seeking "Beauty" at all, No. The "Looks" doesn't matter much to me...

I'm seeking Strong Durability and Peace of Mind, with one less part to be concerned.

If wanted car parts to be Beautiful, I Rather be contemplating those at the Museum:

Car%20Parts%20Artwork%201.jpg Car%20Parts%20Artwork%202.jpg

Kind Regards.

I understand... I expected the type of reply you made, and have no problem with it.

You need what you need - that being said, I could do better with broken parts and JB Weld, lol...

I see what you do, what you know, and your womnderful Bumble Beast, and its "What's wrong with this picture?!?"

I would expect that kind of rigging from myself or the average older Subaru owner, but honestly, I hold you in higher esteem.

You can do better, you deserve better, but the problem is solved for you and I guess that is what matters most.

That is a Rubber Cube, joining two metal plates.

I will like to know how did you fixed that ... :) ...

I believe that I gonna make a Single metal plate instead.

Kind Regards.

I would recommend not going with metaal-to-metal, there is a reason why there is rubber there, and going with metal-to-metal would mean that other components would be getting a lot of 'shock' without it.

I would recommend either:

#1: Finding/using a super epoxy to glue it back together - sounds like shady mechanics, but it might just work and it would be as it is meant to be.

#2: Replace the rubber block with pure RTV silicone, and if you want to be serious about it, there is a Kevlar fiber additive to mix into paint that would make the silicone extremely tough.

#3: Use either method above, but before hand put a bolt through it if you can, with good lock nut, or a paior of lock nuts facing each other on the bolt/thread, and install the bolt without tightening it, just bringing it up against the metal plate, not even finger tight, but preferrably with a little slack.

This way, the silicone does what the rubber does, but in a bad situation when you just want to get to your destination, the bolt will hold it together if the silicone were to fail, as a sort of fail-safe/back-up

... I would expect that kind of rigging from myself or the average older Subaru owner, but honestly, I hold you in higher esteem. You can do better, you deserve better ...

To Fully understand my Situation, you must Read this Thread, First:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/118040-subaru-is-loosing-dealership-support-on-central-america/

Feel free to comment about this subject, in that thread, to avoid hijacking this one.

Kind Regards.

... I don't think you want to make it solid metal, it needs to flex, when there is a load on the transmission and motor, the shifter linkage flexes there ...

I would recommend not going with metal-to-metal, there is a reason why there is rubber there, and going with metal-to-metal would mean that other components would be getting a lot of 'shock' without it ...

Yes, there's a Reason for the Rubber Cube to be There...

But No, I don't believe it is there to make things on the Shifter linkage, Flexible, because if it Flex to either side, it would have broke away faster and easier, not after 30 years of rude use in Honduran Roads and offroads...

In my own humble opinion, the Rubber Cube is there to Absorb Vibrations from the Drivetrain, so you don't feel said vibrations on the Shifter knob.

Yes, there's a Reason for the Rubber Cube to be There...

But No, I don't believe it is there to make things on the Shifter linkage, Flexible, because if it Flex to either side, it would have broke away faster and easier, not after 30 years of rude use in Honduran Roads and offroads...

In my own humble opinion, the Rubber Cube is there to Absorb Vibrations from the Drivetrain, so you don't feel said vibrations on the Shifter knob.

Absorb vibrations? You are probably right, but my red Loyale (ASH) shifter sure as heck vibrates when you accelerate. I bet the rubber has gotten brittle perhaps.  At any rate good luck with that.  Personally I would just order a replacement online, unless you cannot get things shipped from websites to your place. 

Edited by MR_Loyale

Absorb vibrations? You are probably right, but my red Loyale (ASH) shifter sure as heck vibrates when you accelerate. I bet the rubber has gotten brittle perhaps.  At any rate good luck with that.  Personally I would just order a replacement online, unless you cannot get things shipped from websites to your place.

Yes, I could order things online easily, Using the services of an Honduran Cargo & Courier Co. in USA, but the main problem is that I don't have enough money, nor time to left my Subie unused in the Garage meanwhile the part comes from USA to Honduras...

What I plan, is to do a single metal plate and try with it; if I don't like it or it gives issues, I could drive my Subie like that in the mean time, while waiting for a New replacement... if the part is still available online.

Kind Regards.

I had to Drive my Wife's  "KiaStein this weekend, 'cos I promised a trip to my Family to an Artisans' city, I went there not only to give a trip to my Family, but also to purchase a couple of Honduran Souvenirs to some USMB friends, which I'll send via air mail soon... you know who you are  ;) 

KiaStein%20WindMill.jpg

More photos of the Trip, ~► Here.

...so I didn't have enough time to fix my Subie yet.

Kind Regards.

Did a bunch of fiddly work on the transmission going into my 93 Loyale.

Align tubing to factory position, clean up drian plug, remove crud from outside of case, un bend brackets, replace rusted off bracket, that kind of stuff.  Including the TIG a washer onto the broken off bolt trick to remove a couple of snapped off rear mounting bolts.

Miraculously, the Shifter still does the Shifts indeed.

So what I really want to know Now, is if the Broken  "Rubber Cube that joins two metal plates, can be substituted along those two metal plates, with a new single metal plate... Thinking that the Rubber Cube's function is to absorb vibrations from the drivetrain, only; but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I might weld a metal spacer instead the rubber cube... Any ideas will be Welcome.

Kind Regards.

Miraculously, the Shifter still does the Shifts indeed.

So what I really want to know Now, is if the Broken  "Rubber Cube that joins two metal plates, can be substituted along those two metal plates, with a new single metal plate... Thinking that the Rubber Cube's function is to absorb vibrations from the drivetrain, only; but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I might weld a metal spacer instead the rubber cube... Any ideas will be Welcome.

Kind Regards.

You know it would be extra creative and inventive if somehow you made a junk of old tire rubber work as a replacement.  Maybe a Honduran tire monger could be of help? I have heard of such a thing a "rubber welding".

• Like 1

did someone borrow your thinking cap Jeszek ?

I vote also against solid steel replacement - same reasons. Somewhere in your resourcefulness you must be able to find a rubber mount that has a stud each end that can be made to fit to your existing pieces, even if it is an exhaust mount, fuel pump mount, small engine mount say from a petrol generator mount ? You may have to not just drill hole but tap it to suit stud on top side for clearance, cut off flush, no nut again for clearance.

You have lift was this mount also extended to allow for the difference on conversion ?

For emergency, you could do same as what I did with gearbox or engine mount ....drilled hole and ran a bolt and nut to hold it together to function and feel extra vibration.

The bracket and mount if left unattched will make gear shift difficult depending on stresses and strains of driving different terrain on engine and box mounts, might shorten throws, crunch gears, ..more than just an insulator

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

Exhaust mount is a good idea, sandwich it in there. Hockey puck would work too, but he already has the rubber there, he just needs a way to get the metal plate back up attached to the rubber.

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

Kind Regards.

Drill and bolt it. That's how i fixed mine a year ago after a few suggestions from other members. Not a single problem since.

37202039dDS.jpg

• Like 2

...  Maybe a Honduran tire monger could be of help? I have heard of such a thing a "rubber welding".

Yes I bet you're Right.

I'll investigate further on the Subject among local tire Repair and Vulcanization Shops.

did someone borrow your thinking cap Jeszek ?

Not exactly, but since it is certainly a New kind of fail for me, I was seeking a shortcut among other USMB users with more experience in same situation, before I screw up things, you know that it is easier for me to weld a metal block instead of glueing the rubber back in place, but I wanted to know first if someone already done that, to prevent doing Damage to my Subie.

Surprisingly, This:

... Somewhere in your resourcefulness you must be able to find a rubber mount that has a stud each end that can be made to fit to your existing pieces...

is what I was thinking to do, yesterday while I was trying to sleep in my Bed...

... You have lift was this mount also extended to allow for the difference on conversion ? ...

Nope, I added " Blocks to lower the Engine's Crossmember and 2" SJR Blocks to lift the front Struts, but I never "Touched" the shifters' Linkage, so maybe I stressed up this Rubber Cube, extending the Shifter's Movement, however it is 30 years old now...

I'll take proper measurements in order to find out if a Bigger "Cube" might be needed there.

Exhaust mount is a good idea, sandwich it in there. Hockey puck would work too ...

Drill and bolt it. That's how i fixed mine a year ago after a few suggestions from other members. Not a single problem since.

Thank you all for such Great ideas, and for the Photo. Thumbup.jpg

Kind Regards.

About this:

37202039dDS.jpg

Looks pretty Solid indeed, almost like a rigid metal, isn't it?

Does such configuration, sent more Drivetrain's Vibrations to the Shifter knob?

I really don't care too much about Vibrations on the Shifter,

but I'll like to know if there's any Change.

Kind Regards.

When I first bought the Loyale it leaked so much oil and power stearing fluid I ended up replacing the rack.them came the motor and swaped a hi lo trans in too.as of lately I just did the timing belts,fixed a leaky cam seal and water pump

About this:

Looks pretty Solid indeed, almost like a rigid metal, isn't it?

Does such configuration, sent more Drivetrain's Vibrations to the Shifter knob?

I really don't care too much about Vibrations on the Shifter,

but I'll like to know if there's any Change.

Kind Regards.

There is still LOTS of lateral wiggle in this arrangement. I bolted it down tight enough that I'm confident that the bolt won't come undone because of the constant pressure from the compressed rubber (plus I used a bunch of loctite!). And because the rubber is pretty soft, there is still an ability for twisting, lateral shear movement, and vibration dampening. It is definitely way less rigid than a piece of metal welded or bolted in. I have noticed no difference in the feel of the shifter or difference in vibration. 

On thoughts about your lift: When I lifted my BRAT 2 inches, I dropped all of the mounting points for the shifter linkage 1 inch and I was still able to get all of the gears. I'm thinking that it probably reduced the stress on this piece. No idea for sure, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Like 1

Kind Regards.

3 years and 10,000 miles ago I fixed mine with a couple pipe clamps and zip ties. 

/backs slowly away. 

• Like 1