Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I'm guessing the emissions regulations in Europe meant that EGR wasn't required. But it's probably cheaper for Subaru to just assemble the engine as normal due to the production line.

Those of us who don't need to worry about passing emissions checks will probably continue to stick a piece of metal across the hole with a 2nd gasket :P

It has to be that it wasn't installed on the factory because of not needed in these market. But good for me since I don't need to hassle with the egr now on then.

Also, the third Gen EA82 Heads doesn't have the EGR passage opened.

In fact, Subaru discovered that the EGR design on the EA82 is pretty Unhealthy for the Engine, because it not only didn't make the desired results, but also it was somehow harmful for one cylinder, so, they avoided using the EGR in every part of the world where it was not required.

The Blue intake looks Good, why not continue using that same Blue on the Valve's covers?

Kind Regards.

I have to check on weekend if I had egr opened on my third gen cyl heads. If I remember correctly it does have egr in there as every else ea82 engine I have had before.

Maybe I'll paint the heads and cam cases black and valve covers blue andleave the two stripes n theme silver. That should look okay and not too messy. I kind of like the contrast between that blue and silver on the small parts.

Next part is to install some sort of fuel rails and some 370cc injectors to the manifold...

Totalled it. Going 55-60 down dirt road hit a puddle, spun, ditch. Airbags went off, frame is bent right in front of the engine subframe. So now I'm taking apart the front end, snorkel, weld the rear and maybe center diff, and gonna go beat the piss out of it at the trails. Sad day, but she's not done. 

0712151805_zpstksklyqt.jpg?1436818683476Front end

0712151800_zps4kdcfjsn.jpg?1436818683476

You can see the frame bend there. 

psssssh! You call that a bend? That's cute!

Try this on:

20150715_210338_zpsay3vfhas.jpg

20150715_210346_zps0ttkctkv.jpg

After a week of hammering the car has gone from this:

IMAG1072.jpg

20150711_162556_zpsmwp5awje.jpg

To this:

20150715_205510_zpswtqdo4ru.jpg

20150715_205549_zpseoigfirp.jpg

Not quite perfect yet, but getting there.

Also, alt died on a 500+ mile round trip in the Tin Can, limped and stalled into walmart parking lot at 11:30 pm. Went in and came back with

20150718_232426_zpsh54uqhvd.jpg

Two batteries to make sure I had enough juice to make it home with no alt. Made it home. Returned one battery and swapped in a reman Maxima alt. Tin Can is happy again. Also, he hit

20150716_184457_zpsru6zbq0d.jpg

• Like 2

I ripped out the carpet from my flooded '86 Brat and gave it a good soap up, as well as started to scrub down interior console parts.

Felt good to get something done for once!

I just used dish washing soap and scrubbed and scrubbed.

Does anyone have any other tips for trying to salvage a flooded/moldy carpet? 

IMG_20150721_175712302_zpsuutnrcai.jpg

I am Glad to know that you Rebuilt your EA82T Touring Wagon, it is a ST model, imported from Japan, isn't it? ... It looks very nice, I like the Photos, thank you for Sharing.

The Grille in front, doesn't match the Model, it belongs to an "Early" EA82 style, which was built from late 1984 to 1986, so I wonder how did you attached it to the Newer style headlamps?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The newer style headlamps still have the bracket hanging out behind the grill here. Just missing the metal clip that fit inside. Why bother with the expense of changing a mould for little gain?

Much easier than fitting the later grill to an earlier model which is missing the metal brackets on the trim below the headlamps.

Actually, I just think that later model indicators have been fitted to an earlier model. The rubbing strips on the sides are the earlier, thinner type.

Edited by wagonist

Interesting colour scheme. I've been toying with the idea of all black above the lower window line (ie roof & pillars), with yellow "touring wagon" stickers to match intended paint colour.

I've never liked how the trim around the tailgate window on the touring wagon doesn't match the side because it's higher...

I am Glad to know that you Rebuilt your EA82T Touring Wagon, it is a ST model, imported from Japan, isn't it... It looks very nice, I like the Photos, thank you for Sharing.

Thank you. Yes indeed, it is a ST model from Japan.

Took sometime to rebuild.. Brand new Head Gaskets, timing belt kits and oil pump. One Fuel injector, Left Cylinder head, right Camshaft & housing from a donor car. Engine is now running dead silent and has got some goooooood amount of power in it.  All the noise is at the back (Aftermarket muffler) - good deep rumble.  :D. Hopefully (if time allows) throwing in a Forester TMIC this weekend.

The Grille in front, doesn't match the Model, it belongs to an "Early" EA82 style, which was built from late 1984 to 1986, so I wonder how did you attached it to the Newer style headlamps?

It is a 1986 model. Actually, the only thing that is not stock there is the corner parking lamps (replaced the originals that were faded and broken), yellow fog lamps (attached to the chrome stock bar under the bumper) and charcoal matte hood and roof :) .

Everything else is stock fit. (Headlamps, Grille (also painted in charcoal matte) bumper signal lights (got a new one for the missing right side after taking those pics), and the side mirrors. Only missing those marker lights that were attached to the top of the fender..  :banghead:

• Like 1

I am Glad to know that you Rebuilt your EA82T Touring Wagon, it is a ST model, imported from Japan, isn't it... It looks very nice, I like the Photos, thank you for Sharing.

Thank you. Yes indeed, it is a ST model from Japan.

Took sometime to rebuild.. Brand new Head Gaskets, timing belt kits and oil pump. One Fuel injector, Left Cylinder head, right Camshaft & housing from a donor car. Engine is now running dead silent and has got some goooooood amount of power in it.  All the noise is at the back (Aftermarket muffler) - good deep rumble.  :D. Hopefully (if time allows) throwing in a Forester TMIC this weekend.

The Grille in front, doesn't match the Model, it belongs to an "Early" EA82 style, which was built from late 1984 to 1986, so I wonder how did you attached it to the Newer style headlamps?

It is a 1986 model. Actually, the only thing that is not stock there is the corner parking lamps (replaced the originals that were faded and broken), yellow fog lamps (attached to the chrome stock bar under the bumper) and charcoal matte hood and roof :) .

Everything else is stock fit. (Headlamps, Grille (also painted in charcoal matte) bumper signal lights (got a new one for the missing right side after taking those pics), and the side mirrors. Only missing those marker lights that were attached to the top of the fender..  :banghead:

Jes Zek, the door mounted mirrors were only on the 85 models here. 86+ got the mirrors in the corner of the glass. Would be surprised if this was different for other markets.

The LADM and USDM had the Door Mounted mirrors up to 1986,

but Subaru sold the other design from late 1986 as 1987 models...

Those Door Mounted Mirrors came along the Checkered Style Grille.

Kind Regards.

I wonder why the differences?

We got a lot of stuff that was only on the 85 model, and then disappeared:

• semi-auto choke
  • factory electric glass sunroof on GL sedan
  • door mounted mirrors (not in the corner of the glass)
  • single range, push button 4wd wagon
  • fwd wagon

The last 2 were the only flat roof GL's available here. ie tacho, plastic trim on pillars. Every other GL wagon was a Touring wagon & every other flat roof was a DL

Edited by wagonist
  • Like 1

I wonder why the differences?

We got a lot of stuff that was only on the 85 model, and then disappeared:

• semi-auto choke
  • factory electric glass sunroof on GL sedan
  • door mounted mirrors (not in the corner of the glass)
  • single range, push button 4wd wagon
  • fwd wagon

The last 2 were the only flat roof GL's available here. ie tacho, plastic trim on pillars. Every other GL wagon was a Touring wagon & every other flat roof was a DL

The differences might have something to do with the laws of supply and demand, different markets got different editions... in Latin America are much more Touring Wagons than USA, in fact we started to receive Touring Wagons with the second gen Leone (EA81) while those were never offered in USA, also the most used engine on the Third gen Leone, was not the EA82, but the EA71.  The EA71 sedans were also Automatics, and front wheel drive was prefered here, than four wheel drive... don't know why, but should be a matter of what people asked more to buy, maybe wanting Cheaper options to compete with Cheaper Nissans, Volkswagens, Toyotas, etc...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

[*]door mounted mirrors (not in the corner of the glass)

could someone provide a picture of this? is the triangle piece still there but blank like a DL would have on its passenger door? or do they have bigger windows to compensate deletion of the triangle? i know of the fender mounted mirrors but door mounted mirrors like an old truck would have i've never heard of before..

thanks.

could someone provide a picture of this? ...

296845_301953123155249_100000216909175_1

... is the triangle piece still there but blank like a DL would have on its passenger door? ...

Nope.

The Original design for JDM was intended to use Fender Mirrors,

So the glass at the Doors is Complete, not plastic Triangles there.

The Door mounted mirrors came after, for the Non JDM models...

My "BumbleBeast" has those also, because is an Early Edition.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

So, I went to my Garage and shot a Photo of the door's Glass on my "BumbleBeast"

Door%20Mounted%20Mirror.jpg

so you can see that there's No triangle there on the Early Editions of the EA82,

which were made from Mid 1984 to Mid 1986 like that, then came the other style.

These mirrors are also Folding mirrors, I learned that on the hard way  :P 

• Like 1

Nice racing stripe :P

Interesting that the model you've shown is a series 2 (different front corner lights & wider rubbing strips). Wonder where that was sold.

Something for the "rare part thread" would be the electric mirrors for your type Jes Zek. I think I saw a set once sourced from a JDM model.

But electric mirrors weren't an option here until the Series 2.

We've always had the touring Wagon option in Oz. but we have a lot less ranges of models. No GL10 or GL10 turbo. No full-time 4wd transmission except on the XT, no coupe.

But 4wd has always been popular. We have a lot of gravel roads in the country which can be (and are) driven at highway speeds, so Subaru Aus I think was 2nd (or even sometimes 1st) most popular market in the 80s.

... Interesting that the model you've shown is a series 2 (different front corner lights & wider rubbing strips). Wonder where that was sold ...

I can only tell for sure the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) and JDM (Japanese Domestic Market)but with the Steering on the Other side  ;) also, maybe certain European, African and Asian Countries... I really don't know accurately...

So you call "Series 1" to the Early (1984 ~ 1986) Editions of the EA82,

Then, "Series 2" must be the intermediate (1987 ~ 1990) editions, and

I guess that you call "Series 3" to the Late (1990 ~ 1994) Editions, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

No, we only tend to have Series 1 (late 84 to mid 87), then Series 2 is everything after.

We don't really bother about Series 3, because when the Liberty (Legacy) came out in 89, the GL models got a bit upgraded (MPFI engine, half painted bumpers, electric windows on the sedan), and then got dropped completely at the end of 90.

This left us with the DL spec low roof wagon only with carb engine, vinyl floor, seats, roof lining & sun visors. There was a "GL" option pack upgrade which fitted cloth back into the interior with a cargo blind for the rear.

So for us, the 84/85 models are a bit of an orphan with the differences I've mentioned previously. But apart from moving the mirrors, the looks didn't change to the series 2 until 87.

I've always wondered if the electric mechanism for those early mirrors was a problem. I had looked at fitting them, by getting the wiring through the top of the door was monumentally difficult. It's hard enough with the later model door.