Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Replaced a fender on my 87 wagon.  Repaired the other with POR15, since it wasn't totally gone.  Repainted the replaced fender and the touch up areas with custom made paint from a local car parts shop that does the paint number mixing in the store.  And the clear coat.  Also touched up and clear coated my custom paint job on the hood, since the paint was beginning to show signs of aging.  Have one other small rust spot in a seam I'm sealing up with POR15 from the outside, and Waxoyle from the inside.

20160116_181827_zpssnwb25pp.jpg 87 gl-10 under the knife finally!! Got the 08+ TEIN super sports installed with 01 sti knucles, new wheel bearing, impreza tie rod ends and new ball joints! Now I gotta get the rears modded in!!! Then wire in the edfc! Edited by mm88swrt
  • Like 2

My 1984 Subaru GL coupe is straight piped beginning at the catalytic converter and ending at the muffler. in between its got an electric cut out!!! The po-po don't suspect a thing!!!!  :P  B) and its now got only 127,221 miles on her!!!!!

Edited by jdgmbi1

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped in a new egr solenoid from an Impreza to get my check engine light to go out. Still didn't go out, thought it was bad. Checked the computer, code 35 PCS. Swapped in a new solenoid I snagged from a Mazda 626, check engine light out. Win AND wow! My crappy idle and low rpm stumble is GONE and holy low end power! I can light up the tires from a stop in first without having to dump the clutch, just start rolling and put my foot down. I am impressed.

Edited by l75eya

Swapped in a new egr solenoid from an Impreza to get my check engine light to go out. Still didn't go out, thought it was bad. Checked the computer, code 35 PCS. Swapped in a new solenoid I snagged from a Mazda 626, check engine light out. Win AND wow! My crappy idle and low rpm stumble is GONE and holy low end power! I can light up the tires from a stop in first without having to dump the clutch, just start rolling and put my foot down. I am impressed.

You should also notice better gas mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3326_zps3ltxmwou.jpg

This is the "before" photo.  I took a wire wheel to the inside of my passenger side quarter panel, removed the surface rust, and then applied Rust Bullet.  

I have learned from experience, it is important to attack any and all rust.  It will only get worse.  

I think I saved my quarter panel!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What have I done? Read all 284 pages of this thread over the past few weeks like a crazy person! :eek: Got to see some seriously interesting things and great ideas happen over the 7 years this thread has been going.

More on topic I've installed new gas struts on my back hatch (no more using my head or a pair of vice grips to hold it up). Changed the oil, filter, and air filter. Took off the studded winter wheels. And washed it, but the pollen is so bad here you can't even tell and it's only been 3 days :banghead:

And if I've learned anything, it's that a post without pictures isn't worth near as much, here she is.

mDESmUk.jpg

Edit: had to fix my image code

Edited by lightswarm175
  • Like 1

Finished installing the Viscous LSD centre from a Gen I Legacy GT into my rear diff.

Ended up having to cut one of the original stub axles off because I couldn't undo the Torx bolt in the middle.

Swapped the crown wheels over.

Chamfered off 2 adjacent ridges on the diff centre so it would fit inside the casing (FYI, some later models need the bolts sealed because they protrude through the outer case).

post-8410-0-20294600-1461627744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Test

Success!

On the Tin Can I replaced the front pass axle with one that clicks right out of the box, I put new pads up front and new shoes and hardware in the back. Brakes felt great for two days, but then the front pass. wheel decided to partially lock up. I'm suspecting the caliper. And one of the rear shoes is jumping around for some reason when hitting the brakes while reversing, and then going forward.

On the Blubaru, I have a bunch of crap sitting in boxes that I'm going to install after I get a few more boxes of crap. so far I've got new rotors for all four corners, new pads for all four corners, inner and outer wheel seals for each corner, a box of new concave washers for the axle stubs, set of NGK plugs and wires (I've installed those already).

I'm waiting on a new cap and rotor and I want to get new front axles and calipers before I begin installing anything. 

• Like 1

Changed the tail pipe around on the Hardtop with a  3" Stainless section. Sounds much better, nicer cleaner note.

DSCF3498.jpg

DSCF3497.jpg

Also am getting a few things done on the Wagon. Getting the new arch panels in and getting rust repair finished up.

DSCF3496.jpg

DSCF3495.jpg

• Like 5

1986 EA82 wagon:

Shortly after I installed new KYB struts/shocks at every corner, I noticed my front passenger side caliper dragging. Started teardown yesterday and even with the bleeder opened...the caliper didn't want to budge :/ Finally got it off to find a busted inner brake pad.

I'm assuming it's the caliper or brake hose.

p.s. replacing the original struts/shocks w/new ones was well overdue. 30yrs & 180k miles

^^^^^^ It was the caliper. Ordered one from AutoZone (trust me, I know better....was just trying to get it fixed quickly as to be lesser a burden on people who've loaned me their vehicles) & tried to install it yesterday. Emergency brake bracket mounting is wrong (pic below) as one hole wasn't even threaded and the one that was is threaded is too big for the bolt.

zCFfNxTm.jpg

I decided to proceed with the installation just to get it back on the road. FAIL

I've got something fudged up as I can't get the axle nut on far enough. Back at it again today after work... Yee haw! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, I don't come on here as much as I used to! But I wanted to share a photo of my new Subaru!  :) My old Loyale (lifted red wagon, not sure if anyone remembers) is dead. I crashed it, fixed it, then the piston rings went out. With no money and a rent bill, it had to go. But now I have Smokey and a new build! And boy, did Smokey earn his name! I bought it from Subruise, and after fixing the oil leaking onto the exhaust, I'm now moving on to building it how I want to.

For this car, I'm going for the "Cross Country Cruiser" build. Essentially a car that I can daily drive to work, that's comfortable to ride in with options, but can also go anywhere and isn't afraid to get dirty. If there's one thing I learned, is having a modified car on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis is not a good combo. So even though I want to EJ swap it, that comes with a lot of potential future failures and reliability issues that I'd rather not deal with. Maybe long term in the future, but I definitely don't have the funds for it anytime soon.  :rolleyes:

What has been done: D/R swap, rear disc brakes, new brakes, cam seals, crank seal, rear main, pilot bearing, valve cover gaskets, oil pump seals, oil pan gasket, newer clutch, window tint, LED light bulbs (including instrument backlighting) fog lights, and offroad lights.

What I have planned: New front wheel bearings, replace driver side axle, replace timing belts and pulleys, new lifters and cam case o-rings, put on 195/70R14 aggressive tires (probably on steelies, but we'll see where the wind takes us), put on adjustable shocks all around, A/C delete (cost to fix is not worth it to me here in Seattle), dual electric fans in front of the radiator, heated Outback seats, aftermarket stereo, upgrade speakers and add two in the rear, add sound insulation, upgrade headlight and fog light bulbs, and put on some mud flaps. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff.  :P

20160601_101221_zpsgzhg2f18.jpg

• Like 2