Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Got the engine pulled today.  Ruby is officially in mid transplant.  Disassembly starts tomorrow.  Called Delta and the price on one of their regrinds is too good to pass up, so I'll be delaying reassembly for a little bit at least.  Progress is finally being made.

Photo from about a year ago. Shown in home center parking lot next to a similar colored Farrari that I see around town now and again. I thought they were funny next to e/o.

Photo taken just before I took it in for a respray. Solid, no rust car but drivers rear quarter had period body work done and the paint was just horrible, and masked around the targa stipe... So it wound up being a fullstrip and respray. Plus I tried to find some replacement parts for the bumpers which had been dinged and bent up a little. Just talking with the shop today to have them do final touches before I get it back for the summer. I'll post up pictures when I can.

post-2538-0-76115700-1493827718_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I seconded that! Can't take it out can't tighten it anymore!! For years the stupid Allen bolt for draining the coolant from the head continues to drip! Lol! Whatever dude! Whatever!

Edited by Len Dawg

I visited the body shop today, and got some disappointing news that my existing bumper would be hard to straighten, and the used and referbbed one I bought not a correct replacement. It would require about as much work to modify as to fix the original. So I'm going to keep looking for a replacement.

On the positive side, they had a window guy there to out the used, chipped windshield back in. And he knew new ones were still available, and the shop gave it to me at cost (It pays to be there when they're working I guess).

So they're putting the brightwork back on and getting it back together. I'm expecting probably in May still, but I'm not pressing them on time. I had negotiated to get it done over slow winter to get discount on labor. I'm getting excited.

• Like 2

The two frozen bolts in the intake came out easy after soaking in penetrating lube for a couple days and some direct heat from a torch.  I may replace them with studs and nuts instead of bolts for reassembly.  Heads will come off tomorrow and we will find out if they are warped.  Called Delta Cams to see what they had to offer and can't not send mine in at that price.  On a down side, the clutch most certainly was not replaced recently as the previous owner told me.  So I have a new one on the way.

WRX got a 4-corner brake job - very, very close to the backing plate on one rear caliper - glad that's done.

dangit if one of the tabs on the bottom part of the intake filter box isn't broken on this car? had to rig zip-ties to try to make sure it seals. Our Outback had the same problem, that bottom part on it is around $150

I had to postpone maintenance on my WRX, should have don it last month. Still needs oil change and a/c repaired.

I also have a strut mount that is cracking - great, I'll probably put new KYB struts on the front and get group n mounts. Just not great timing for me money-wise....

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

back when 2nd gear grenaded on my WRX the shop didn't want to install an axle because of a split boot. I gave them the go-ahead to put in a new axle. (FEQ ? that they get from worldpac)

when I picked the car up, I asked for my old axle - I think they at first thought I was suspicious of their work, I told them I was gonna re-boot it. They got it outta the recycle bin (shoulda asked if the had any more)

got that done today (Beck-Arnley kit, nice, includes grease, bands, boot and new snap ring) - gonna put it on when I do the struts - probably next weekend .

Just mentioning because I noticed there are markings on the end of the axle that seemed lined-up with the 3 ears on the spider/tripod - I've always wondered about 'clocking' or timing of the radial position of the 2 CV joints to each other. My guess is, it may be important, at least important enough to mark the axle.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Installed a red LED bulb in one of my map lights to simulate a night time driving light for map viewing or night vision. Also looks like what police cars have in the show COPS.

Pictures cannot really do justice in how it appears at night time. But I recommend anyone this cool inexpensive modification to give your night time driving a new experience for only one easy payment of $5.78. Order now!!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/194-r5%20red/

post-35088-0-56048000-1494718404_thumb.jpg

Installed a red LED bulb in one of my map lights to simulate a night time driving light for map viewing or night vision. Also looks like what police cars have in the show COPS.

Pictures cannot really do justice in how it appears at night time. But I recommend anyone this cool inexpensive modification to give your night time driving a new experience for only one easy payment of $5.78. Order now!!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/194-r5%20red/

attachicon.gif20170311_191928.jpg

cool - like WWII submarine movies!

Where to start, where to start?

I took the calmasters off the tin can because they were rubbing too much and swapped them with the EA81 alloys I had put on the GL-10 (fwd car + weak springs + lots of stuff in trunk = no good. Now I know calmasters have a different offset to stock rims and stick out a little bit more):

20170110_141645_Film1_zpstekskmrj.jpg
20170211_150844_Film1_zpsmbm4vrbq.jpg

20170330_152714_Film1_zpswxse4k6s.jpg

20170502_192211_Film1_zpslgn5jkk5.jpg

I think they look more at home on the blue GL-10 than the Tin Can anyway, and with the air suspension on the GL-10, the body of the car never sits low enough to rub the wheels. At least when the suspension is pumped up, the second picture shows the car slammed after sitting a few days.
20170415_134102_Film1_zpsxjiw4cel.jpg

20170301_173541_Film1_zpswiucg7fe.jpg

I swapped off the stock 93 black bumper for the painted front bumper from my old 87 GL (damn, I miss that car)
20170113_205126_Film1_zpsrrkc3sew.jpg

I put new rotors and pads on it. Finally.
I changed the oil. Finally.
I adjusted the clutch free-play and re-aimed the headlights and I replaced the worn out zipties holding the 85-86 grille in with brand NEW zipties. 

I love this car. Got it 2 years ago at 97,xxx miles and just turned 116,000 the other day. So far aside from general maintenance, I've put an alternator in it. Did I mention that I love this car?

Edited by l75eya

WRX got a 4-corner brake job - very, very close to the backing plate on one rear caliper - glad that's done.

dangit if one of the tabs on the bottom part of the intake filter box isn't broken on this car? had to rig zip-ties to try to make sure it seals. Our Outback had the same problem, that bottom part on it is around $150

I had to postpone maintenance on my WRX, should have don it last month. Still needs oil change and a/c repaired.

I also have a strut mount that is cracking - great, I'll probably put new KYB struts on the front and get group n mounts. Just not great timing for me money-wise....

the old mounts were both rough/crunchy feeling. glad to have new ones - plus the new struts. car even feels better now, maybe smoother/quicker feeling steering, less dive and squat. Seems like a little more road noise.

old pass side mount;

https://goo.gl/photos/f21GfRMDyhEyMPmi8

new - Group N baby!

https://goo.gl/photos/X6KbebehcqF4w4PTA

Pulled both rear rotors off the Brumby, I made the mistake of buying cheaper rotors without the passivated finish for the rears and they ended up with surface rust very quickly. I wire-wheeled them back to bare metal (apart from the pad wiping area obviously) and primed and painted them with caliper paint. Three temperature cycles in the oven and put them back on the Brumby. Hopefully they will stay looking silver instead of rusty as winter comes on down under...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...