Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Fm antenna 1.5m - couldn't find a decent height car one, this one's for a boat and ground plane dependent. GME brand from ebay $75. Used a step drill to 20mm to bore the hole.

post-67864-0-39448800-1523067991_thumb.jpg

post-67864-0-12571900-1523068013_thumb.jpg

Next was replacement alternator. $175 locally here in Aus, got this one from rockauto to the door for $90. Cheers.

post-67864-0-53395000-1523068031_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Installed a UHF 6.5dB antenna on my Brumby's rollbar.

Made a bracket from ally flatbar

auigd0.jpg

Mounted the antenna

23jih49.jpg

Pushed a coat hanger wire through to the cab and taped the lead to it.

2cz97w8.jpg

Used a rubber grommet to make it waterproof.

rwo11d.jpg

Looks like this when installed.

210gg2d.jpg

Cable run.

20j21so.jpg

Finished.

jakjvd.jpg

Cheers, Knucklehead.

• Like 2

Sweet looking brumby Knucklehead!

Have you thought about making the aerial cable pass through the sports bar to eliminate the cable ties? Two holes, two grommets...

And how did you mount the UHF in the vehicle?

Cheers

Bennie

Hey Bennie, cheers man !

UHF Head unit is not mounted yet but its going in where the original tape deck sits now. I gotta find some plastic fascia so I can custom build a face plate. The 80ch is smaller than the tape deck.

Great idea on the rollbar too. Its coming out for a coat of gloss black when I paint out the bed so I'll have a crack at it then (that way I can get the bottom hole facing the side of the tray).

Hopefully I can get the uhf installed next tuesday on my day off :)

Cheers, Knucklehead.

• 1 month later...

Well, I couldn't find an old ratty wheel to cannibalize for my aftermarket wheel adapter, so I just used mine.

Made a plastic bushing to center the pilot bit, and holesawed away.

Then flattened out the little bend on one edge with a BFH, and drilled and tapped for the new wheel.

Best thing about this method (other than being cheap) is the horn and turn signal cancel cam work just like factory! 

I had this same style wheel back in high school in a 72 Opel GT that I stuffed a 1963, 215 CI. aluminum Oldsmobile V8 into, and always loved the wheel. 

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5408 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve done this prior to our last trip:

vOunPo.jpg

llkPdi.jpg

Worked a treat and made packing/retrieving gear soooo much easier compared to the old setup. It’s also lighter ;) There’s a kitchen cabinet that slides in under the left shelf - it will end up on a set of slides so you can use it from the back of the vehicle or remove it and use it on a bench/table etc.

Our setup is pretty much sorted now. I’m very happy with it.

iqKNnK.jpg 

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been showing the old girl some love the last couple of weeks.

New engine oil, oil filter, front and rear fuel filters, washed the air cleaner.

New top and bottom radiator hoses.

Both the inlet and return heater hoses.

All three of the bypass hoses.

Went back to an exhaust manifold without a catalytic converter and relocated the cat converter down into the straight pipe, this has been a far better result than I expected in both performance and sound.

Remote Central Locking. Which is wired into the electric window circuit and will wind up the windows from the remote.

Kenwood 7" Double Din Head Unit.

Carpeted the stereo/rear speaker box.

Mounted LED Combination Stop/Tail/Ind and Reverse lights on to the rear ladder bar, has been wired in with a plug on each side so that the bar can still be removed.

Fitted LED Daylight Running Lights to the bullbar, both the front DRL's and the LED's that I have mounted on the rear ladder bar have been wired into the ignition so that they come on as soon as the vehicle is started, with a rocker switch that I can also turn them off for those secret squirrel moments.

Finally gave in and decided to butcher my nice unmolested center console. Where the original stereo use to be I have made an aluminium plate to cover it up that houses 4 rocker switches which control the Spotlights, DRL's, Fog Lights and Reverse/Work Lights, with a USB/3.5mm Aux inputs for the stereo. Have also been considering drilling a hole into the cavity/pocket in front of the gear shifter to mount the USB/3.5 Aux Input into but I really don't want to cut my console up anymore than I have to.

Tilt adjustable steering column.

And the big one, POWER STEERING!!! Has totally changed little Ruby Doo to drive.

Replaced all 3 belts, power steering, A/C and Alternator.

Replaced the pigtail on one of the Hella Rallye 4000 spotlights, its good to have all the spotlights working again :-)

Ordered a complete nolathane front suspension bush kit.

And seeing as the tailgate mechanism likes to go a little weird on these things, mine wasn't working at all, to get the tailgate open I had to remove the inside panel so I could open it from there. I replaced it with another one that I eventually found that is in really good condition, to avoid having to use it, I fitted an electric boot release actuator into the tailgate so that now I can open it from the central locking remote or the button inside.

Things to come in the near future (hopefully within the next couple of weeks, if this rain doesn't PO soon that may turn into within the next couple of months) is a 5 speed conversion. Pretty sure I've got all the parts required to do this with now but am yet to pull Ruby's engine out and see if she has the larger diameter flywheel.

Pretty sure that has been the majority of the work so far.

• Like 2

^^^^ wow

while I NEED to do about 4-5 things to my 2 soobs, I did manage to replace the bottom part of the intake air box on the 03. It and the WRX both have the slots cracked-out that the 'tab' part of the upper box slides into. If you do this, take the upper half off. Not just loosen the 2 clips, take the hose clamp loose going to the rear of the engine.

There is a hose holder ,I think on a PS hose, there is a lever on the plastic clip, pull up and it will slide off the metal bracket on the lower box. There are 2 12mm bolts going thru some rubber grommets into the fender metal. A 12 inch extension will help getting those out. Try to get your other hand near them to prevent dropping. The lower box will pull away from the inside of the fender. There a plastic pin that goes into a grommet and of course the intake tube. You should be able to take it out.

You will need to move the grommets to the new part. easiest to take the metal sleeve out, move them, then reinsert the sleeve. You must move the little bracket for the hose-holder. Unscrew it, pop the sheet metal capture-nut gadget out. pop it in the new lower box half, then remount the bracket. If the upper grommet for the plastic molded-on pin came out, put it back in the fender. Sorta fold the lower box into place, you mount the hose-holder back to the bracket by sliding it on till it clicks in place, then carefully position and screw the 2 12mm bolts back in. Put in a new filter, slide and clip in the top box after reconnecting its hose and tightening the hose clamp.

I had been using zip ties strung together under the broken box to try to keep it sealed. Finally broke down and bought the parts for both cars recently.

now I need to replace o-rings in and recharge the a/c system on the WRX, install its new lower intake box, and investigate the smell of burned grease - probably a split cvj boot.

and the 03 Outback needs a new a/c hose and recharging, and a radiator fan assembly swapped-out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@el_freddo

You posted in this thread! Member? You member 

Yea the one that followed me home! She's getting some love, hgs and timing crapola while my lovely swapped 86, 85 xt, camaro and bel air :mad: (family project, but I've F'n BEEN ready!)

Lol! Luckily it snowed lately and I've not much better to do :lol:

I was trying to match my bros arty bmw s52 swap pic since i was slacking this was at the same time as the ej22 swap into my red gl. The art was done by an old friend.

FB_IMG_15525971178762965.jpg.6800844a6b8d57fe50d205aa3887951b.jpg

The turbo is a spare for my xt :P but period correct I guess, vf4

Ideally I would like to put the xts ea82t into the 88 gl and put an ej22 in my xt :lol:

• Thanks 1

New Plugs & Wires. Hood release cable, zip ties saved me because I was able to remove the grill without too much fuss and get to the latch. 02 sensor was a pain to get out, patience and penetrating oil did the trick. Next up: exhaust Y pipe, electric fan, tires, CV boots, and bodywork. Drive 'em till the break and then fix! 

• Like 1

I definitely notice the difference at speed on the highway it acts like it has a glitch like hesitation and it only gets worse the long I delay in replacing it... after being annoyed long enough I install replacement cel turns off and it smooth sailing:brat:

• 4 weeks later...

I got my xt out of auto purgatory aka my parents place haha! Its been nine months.

Yes I drove her like I stolded her. These cars handle so nice!

Ej22 swap on deck unless the passenger cylinder head is good (fingers crossed!!!)

57533066_841142349552256_388576913589167

57258288_841142509552240_584455319387845

I want to race these two, 88 audi q90 vs. 85 subaru xt at 24 hours of lemons 57267766_841136879552803_48688161197769358376473_841137099552781_540270649627220

My poor 86 with ej remains waiting, with the family chariot, 1953 chevy bel air.

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

yesterday after work, drilled some water-drain holes in L tail light assembly and cleaned-off some corrosion on a socket, on the 03. Installed iBrightstar LED brake/park combo 'bulbs' in both sides.

need to do some maintenance and repairs on both cars. It's been rainy on the weekends so, maybe I can do one small thing afterwork for a day or 2. Might take this Fri. off.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1