Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

changed oil/filter, inspected around for issues, tightened a few clamps, topped-off coolant and PS fluid (not sure why but it was a little low), tightened stupid RH rearview mirror that is always loose, polished the headlight lenses - will probably re-do the R side - shouldn't have tried to put another coat of the mequiar's UV stuff on it, sorta hazed/orange peeled it. So, made sure not to do that on the LS. I used the turtle wax kit first, #3 and #4 pads, then the rubbing compound. Good kit and certainly seems to have a long shelf-life. I bought it a VERY long time ago. Wife's OBW has been garaged much of its life so, lenses weren't 'horrible'. Examples in limks attached, hope those work.

Probably need to change the wiper blades. Still have a misbehaing RS windshield washer nozzle.

the car does have some groaning/squeaking noises when maneuvering around, but nothing severe. maybe old bushings somewhere?

everything else seemed fine.

(Tomorrow, need to tackle some maintenance/repairs on the WRX)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...w8gqBuBG6rdvSD

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...B72l9PGoKA8R7i

gfYd9r2D-y6Tp2ooVe2fXr6OatdtbY8OHL5nxQ5W

7QydZakyz3UJ32McbySjkiwXXxwRigouUv7wbkYS

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

On 4/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, jdmleggy97 said:

Picked up and installed 87 XT seats in my 91 RS.. the stock seats had to go and I'm trying to get to as close to an XT6 as I can, just trying to re live my high school days lol.

C89FA77C-0DE1-46E3-8286-9F5CB7AAE4E4.JPG

An xt6 in high school? Panty dropper! I had the 77 camaro and 53 bel air.  I was all chevy in high school nearly 2 decades ago! Lol!

Panty droppers! I packed the bel air full of cheerleaders

Today, I changed oil/filter on the WRX, changed gear oil in the 5spd, replaced the lower half of the intake filter box (the slots for the top's 'tabs' have been busted-out for some time, I had zipties holding it together), replaced both radiator/coolant caps.

still need to work on clearing the headlight lenses and the a/c system needs o-rings probably and re-charging.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I drove Ruby Scoo from the busy road of our last rental to the new, much quieter location that has off street parking for her :D 

Once we're settled in and things are unboxed/in order there will be some Subaru work coming up on the brumby and Ruby Scoo. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 years later...

Never worked on cars until my Impreza's CVT valve body needed to be replaced. Couldn't afford to have the shop fix it, so...researched and got up the nerve to replace it myself. Since then, I've changed all manner of fluids, replaced all the different brake parts, troubleshot and fixed a couple of different wiring issues (gotta love mice), and replaced wheel hub assemblies. One thing on my list to never do again is the rear wheel hub. Only one rear hub needed to be replaced but I don't think my slide hammer arm will ever recover. Michigan corrosion is no joke. Luckily the front ones were much easier. I am definitely grateful for all the helpful things on forums such as this, YouTube, and AllData. I would be without a car if it weren't for that information. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aturtlestep@gmail.com said:

Never worked on cars until my Impreza's CVT valve body needed to be replaced. Couldn't afford to have the shop fix it, so...researched and got up the nerve to replace it myself. Since then, I've changed all manner of fluids, replaced all the different brake parts, troubleshot and fixed a couple of different wiring issues (gotta love mice), and replaced wheel hub assemblies. One thing on my list to never do again is the rear wheel hub. Only one rear hub needed to be replaced but I don't think my slide hammer arm will ever recover. Michigan corrosion is no joke. Luckily the front ones were much easier. I am definitely grateful for all the helpful things on forums such as this, YouTube, and AllData. I would be without a car if it weren't for that information. 

Nothing like doing it oneself.  
Get so much satisfaction with getting it done too. 

• Like 1

WRX got some attention, replaced discharge hose on the A/C. Best to pull out the overflow tank but everything else was easy. Used a vacuum pump, hoping to pull a little moisture out but, disappointed it wouldn't get below about 18-20. So, I may be wrong about the hose being bad (previous use of UV dye sorta hinted at it.) I'll know in a few weeks if that was it - took about 5=6 weeks to leak out last time. Maybe something with my manifold rig was leaking a little under vacuum.

Need to do an oil change and install outside temp sensor (at last).

want to drive to CoSpgs. The car needs other attention but, nothing that probably can't wait.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 83 Brat sat for a while because reverse gear went out right when life got busy. I have a spare transmission and I finally had the time to swap it out when I crawled under the car to start and saw that the nut on the bolt I had replaced the linkage expansion pin with had come off and the linkage was super sloppy. I put a new nut on and it is shifting as well as it ever had since I got it. I'm going to spend some time coming up with a better rig job (maybe involving making a couple bushings and some locktite) and see if I can make it even better. After that I finally have the time and money to start restoring it to be a daily driver!

FYI: I sold my house last year, moved into an RV, and plan on pulling my Brat behind the RV after working on it a bit.-5313867606156086712.jpg.3e0e7fe557cb5019d24f99bbdd35aba8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had to shampoo the complete interior of my 95 Legacy ( the beater POS daily driver) because one of my dogs thought it would be cool to poo inside it while I was inside the bank...then he made sure he spread it ALL over.:-\ I mean I call it a POS all the time but that doesnt mean its ok to do THAT inside it!

Edited by bezossjeff90
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bezossjeff90 said:

I had to shampoo the complete interior of my 95 Legacy ( the beater POS daily driver) because one of my dogs thought it would be cool to poo inside it while I was inside the bank...then he made sure he spread it ALL over.:-\ I mean I call it a POS all the time but that doesnt mean its ok to do THAT inside it!

Oh man, that's awful! I haven't had the fortune of having that happen...yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 6:30 PM, Step-a-toe said:

done that "leave my high beam on to dissipate the oncoming forgetfuls" bright lights twice now, only to find it was a marked police car - learning a lesson and taking said lesson on board 

I always dip my lights then give the oncoming driver about three generous seconds to reciprocate, then my big lights go back on until they decide to dip their lights. I’m not out to just blind ppl, they need a fair chance!

I’ve had one or two occasions where the oncoming vehicle has dazzling LED light bars that are that shite even (for them) for their driver that they simply don’t see the lights of the oncoming driver until they’re basically already passed! Very frustrating! 

And yes, I hate the cool white of the LED lights - try driving in fog with that crap! No thanks. I’ll stick with my power hungry halogen lights ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 11/29/2021 at 8:40 PM, el_freddo said:

I always dip my lights then give the oncoming driver about three generous seconds to reciprocate, then my big lights go back on until they decide to dip their lights. I’m not out to just blind ppl, they need a fair chance!

I’ve had one or two occasions where the oncoming vehicle has dazzling LED light bars that are that shite even (for them) for their driver that they simply don’t see the lights of the oncoming driver until they’re basically already passed! Very frustrating! 

And yes, I hate the cool white of the LED lights - try driving in fog with that crap! No thanks. I’ll stick with my power hungry halogen lights ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

that bright, cool white of LED makes life harder trying to read numbers stamped into engine blocks, reflecting too much white light back to the retina. I found a simple $5 bendy USB plug in light at IKEA that gives off a yellowish light. Plug it into a power pack of choice and you have a light that you cannot get in today's torches.

I also dip as required first, maybe not count to three, just rely on my vision threshold before the brights go back

4 minutes ago, Step-a-toe said:

that bright, cool white of LED makes life harder trying to read numbers stamped into engine blocks, reflecting too much white light back to the retina. I found a simple $5 bendy USB plug in light at IKEA that gives off a yellowish light. Plug it into a power pack of choice and you have a light that you cannot get in today's torches.

I also dip as required first, maybe not count to three, just rely on my vision threshold before the brights go back

16384804873886457608969595137204.jpg

• Like 1