Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Yesterday I bought the car.

Today I had the oil, transmission gear oil, and rear differential oil changed at the local Firestone.

The car has great records from the date of purchase up through 6-7-97 and after that it shows a tune up in 2004 and a muffler replacement in 2006.

I figured it was a safe bet that the routine work was still done as needed but these 3 things I wanted to do just to be on the safe side.

Hi, I have a problem such that I transplanted an 86 1.8 overhead valve engine coupled w/5speed dual range into my 78 wagon (had to fabb a crossmember for trans) and the corner of the bell was in the steering coupling; so I raised that side of the engine approx. 1.75 in. to clear the steering rubber disc/gueebo, everything seemed fine (6 months driving daily) until I noticed that the driver side boot (outer) was needing R&R, so I comenced the opperation and found inside the INNER CV BOOT the snap ring where it had been ejected by the cv balls as the gometry of the in/out vs the up/down had been altered enough to cause the inner cv to want to be in a more outer (at rest/not in a compressed-ie inner) location where the snap ring wants to be due to rasing the engine on that side- any ideas as to how to return the engine to the normal location w/o interfering with the steering? As I do not want to have to run it without the snapring in place, and am bummed. I even thought of trying a later axel (longer) so as to get a suspension lift as well as lifting the engine on both sides (and adding a block between the strut towers and the struts) but am not sure about spline counts and outer cv dimensions.... F--K! any ideas??? If anyone comes up w/an answer to this prob, I will send you $20.00 Thanks-yea, go ahead and laugh, I deserve it! the subnut. PLEASE CALL ME AT (541)-977-2803 I bounce back and forth between Or. and Az. message # (520)-777-8681

Put my taurus in the ditch today so i had to unbury guido. I was dredding this because its super cold here and Guido has hardly any heat. Get to work and me and my boss start fiddling around with the car. He says, just try this old trick and puts some cardboard infront of the air condenser for the air conditioner blocking the super cold air from hitting the radiator. WALA It isnt super burn your butt off hot but it makes the drive so much more enjoyable. Now im going to attempt in the next few days to get my taurus out of the ditch its in. I think guido could pull him out.

Hi, I have a problem such that I transplanted an 86 1.8 overhead valve engine coupled w/5speed dual range into my 78 wagon (had to fabb a crossmember for trans) and the corner of the bell was in the steering coupling; so I raised that side of the engine approx. 1.75 in. to clear the steering rubber disc/gueebo, everything seemed fine (6 months driving daily) until I noticed that the driver side boot (outer) was needing R&R, so I comenced the opperation and found inside the INNER CV BOOT the snap ring where it had been ejected by the cv balls as the gometry of the in/out vs the up/down had been altered enough to cause the inner cv to want to be in a more outer (at rest/not in a compressed-ie inner) location where the snap ring wants to be due to rasing the engine on that side- any ideas as to how to return the engine to the normal location w/o interfering with the steering? As I do not want to have to run it without the snapring in place, and am bummed. I even thought of trying a later axel (longer) so as to get a suspension lift as well as lifting the engine on both sides (and adding a block between the strut towers and the struts) but am not sure about spline counts and outer cv dimensions.... F--K! any ideas??? If anyone comes up w/an answer to this prob, I will send you $20.00 Thanks-yea, go ahead and laugh, I deserve it! the subnut. PLEASE CALL ME AT (541)-977-2803 I bounce back and forth between Or. and Az. message # (520)-777-8681

you need an engine crossmember (and maybe the steering rack) from an '81 GL Brat that had the Gen1 body with the ea81 engine, like you put in... the steering linkage is shifted to the outside for clearance...

Hi, I have a problem such that I transplanted an 86 1.8 overhead valve engine coupled w/5speed dual range into my 78 wagon (had to fabb a crossmember for trans) and the corner of the bell was in the steering coupling.....

Start a thread, if you havent already! :popcorn:

in the past two weeks i have :replaced all of the ignition wires in my 97 legacy obw , the coil , the ects , cleaned the throttle body , regapped the spark plugs , ran sea foam thru it , built a home made lift that i will install in a few weeks and built and installed a pushbar

wow i never thought about painting in the bathroom ive always stuck with the news paper routine ill have to give it a try

talk about multitasking we should start a new thread

what did you do wile you were on the can

sorry i thuoght it was funny

bathroom is great for me to paint cause it has exhaust fan to get out the stinky spray. I should have taken a picture after, the amount of sanding dust, and overspray dust was INSANE on everything in there. it was terrible to clean.

and i get to do it again cause the color match is pretty bad...

Thanks dude. It took me a couple of months, but it was worth it.

I was going to wait until I got the badges and trim back on it, but I just couldn't contain myself :banana:

Dan

I know how that is. haha. I helped a friend resurrect a car, not a suby. But a long project. We were so excited to take it for a drive we set out without exhaust, hood, trunk lid... We even forgot to torque one wheel down and pulled over because a weird trunking noise....

Last weekend on my xt6 I replaced

front main

oil pump gasket

water pump

thermostat

I was leaking a quart of royal purple a week:mad:

This weekend on my xt6 I fixed an illumination/tail fuse issue

I removed the control pods and found a couple small screws floating around the light switch pod

I was going thru about 25 fuses a week:mad:

And i finally got around to ordering gaskets and a new Leg turbo radiator for my wagon project:)

Well this weekend got the new 14" redrilled mazda wheels, Painted them black.

Got the front 2" lift blocks made and painted black.

Started making the rear bracket that I came up with. Have to go get new blade for the saw.

Well have pics that I can email. I dont know how to post on here. Will have before and after and pics of the lift I made.