Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

my legacy SS sits in the garage on it snow tires, probably til fall fall of 2011 i cannot see spending money on a set of summers. instead i will use my brat and the CRX when gas gets to 5dpg......i hope gas gets more than 5dpg....then i will show how good a old Subaru Brat/ CRX is...dpg + dollars per gallon...

I drug a '96 Brighton that was sunk into the mudd for 3 months and a wheel locked up, TW10 pull it right out.

I also tow bar'd the car all the way to Milwaukee from Hartford. 70miles roundtrip.

SUBARU ALLIANCE

Oh boy, Miles ended up with that Brighton huh?

As for me, Tom and I picked up a set of Outback struts and cross member spacers from the junk yard for my Legacy. Picked up a factory CD player from an Outback as well, works great too. Oh, and a new rear hatch handle too.

Oh boy, Miles ended up with that Brighton huh?

As for me, Tom and I picked up a set of Outback struts and cross member spacers from the junk yard for my Legacy. Picked up a factory CD player from an Outback as well, works great too. Oh, and a new rear hatch handle too.

$300 Legacy, swap on a new waterpump (Which came with the car) and used my old timing belt and tensioners. Got it running in an hour while it was still hitched to my car as you will see in the SUBARU ALLIANCE Videos (#12 and up)

well, got my Subaru GL-10 station wagon back after a month in the impound and it had mice in it. thank god they didnt eat any of the electricals. then, on the day i got it back, i got the throttle cable and hood pull cable replaced. funny story there too. when i went to replace my throttle cable, i went to open the hood and the hood cable snapped, right at the very end where that little metal ball is. i had to carefully rip off the grill, then i got my fingers behind the hood latch and got my hood open. then, next week, im replacing the right side lifters.

I bought a new engine for my '86 Gl. I just wanted the heads, but the guy wanted to get rid of the whole engine. He wanted $125 for it all, so I didn't see any reason to not just take the whole thing. I get it home and start tearing it down to get to the heads, get the heads off, and i see cracks between the valves :mad:

So I basically made a $125 mistake, but its a mistake I sure wont make again... next time I'm in the same situation I'm dissassembling it right then and there, before I pay.

Anywho. I'm still looking for heads. My subi is an '86 stock carbed ea82 non turbo. I live in the Seattle, WA area. If anybody is trying to sell some good heads they should hit me up :)

If you were buying an engine from me, I wouldn't let you rip it apart before handing over the cash...

Isn't it OK to run with those cracks anyway? they all crack like that..

I can see your point, I don't think I'd let anybody do the same to me either....

As for the cracks, it depends on how deep they go, and how long you're willing to run the car and then have to pull it all back out again to replace once they crack the rest of the way. Welding them is an option, but it would cost around $250 per head to be done correctly.

I went to the pull a part, looking for heads. Tore apart four or five engines, all of which turned out to have overheated and cracked heads :-\

I looked around a little bit, and saw a '80 gl wagon sitting there. It still had the ea71 engine sitting in there, basically unmolested. Also it had the full grill (minus the third eye, of course someone snagged that) and headlight bezels. I really like the way the grill looks on the early 80's subes, so I snagged it and the headlight bezzels. :banana:

Maybe if i get a period correct subaru for the grill i'll put it on there, but until then I have a subaru nestolgic wall ornament. :D

Got the new t-stat in and test ran it. No overheating. It also seams the piston slap has subsided.

Took some rubbing compound to the headlights. Now they are back to looking new.

Edited by MaddCelt
Forgot something

I bought a new engine for my '86 Gl. I just wanted the heads, but the guy wanted to get rid of the whole engine. He wanted $125 for it all, so I didn't see any reason to not just take the whole thing. I get it home and start tearing it down to get to the heads, get the heads off, and i see cracks between the valves :mad:

So I basically made a $125 mistake, but its a mistake I sure wont make again... next time I'm in the same situation I'm dissassembling it right then and there, before I pay.

Anywho. I'm still looking for heads. My subi is an '86 stock carbed ea82 non turbo. I live in the Seattle, WA area. If anybody is trying to sell some good heads they should hit me up :)

Sorry to hear they're not in good shape. Do some searching. You can close those cracks with a ball-peen hammer/round punch. I did with mine and they're working great.