Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

2001 Forester:

* Rear seat cupholder (hey, it's really cool IMO to get a new part from subaruparts.com or wherever and fix something like that)

* Fake wood trim kit from Subaru for front area

* Replaced shift boot and leather shift knob from Subaru

* Installed the retractable package shelf over the cargo area, and Subaru package netting

* Scored a set of 2007 steel wheels in the box from Freecycle.org for when its salt season (the Forester is an S, and my alloys are PERFECT)

* New Goodyear blah-blah-blah tyres... they were expensive, supposed to be the best on the market for ASRs.

* Fixed 7 chips in the windshield

* Tuneup, changed hoses and drive belts, alignment, chap at the shop said the axles and seals were all in premium shape.

Due:

*Timing belt. I'm dreading doing it, makes me nervous with the opposing heads. I've changed a lot of Toyota timing belts, but all 4-cylinders, in line.

1984 GL Wagon (this year)

* Intake manifold gaskets, some of the snake-basket vacuum leads - gods, I need a Weber

* Radiator, belts, hoses

* Front rotors/pads

* Passenger front axle (needed the car, couldn't be arsed to rebuild)

* Repeated attempts to change the muffler, finally went with running a weld up the seam, and still looking for someone nearby qualified to swap out extension pipes onto my Bosal muffler

* Ignition switch

* Installed a Clarion cassette player that came with the car (Subaru option, apparently, says Subaru right on it). The FM that came with it was also Clarion, and sounds honestly slightly more clear.

* Just picked up a brushguard and EA-82 5-speed from ShawnW (thanks!), but the 5-speed is going to have to wait till spring, I'm still driving the GL

* Started in on the rust on the rockers and quarters. No holes, except in the quarters, but I didn't want the rust to get any farther. Decided that the quarters needed to be replaced, and I don't have the time before snow flies, so I ground and sanded and POR-15d everything and I filled the fist-sized holes in my quarters with bondo to keep the snow and salt out for now.

DUE:

* I have lost current to the fan switch. I'm afraid that the PO's idea of wiring repair (I don't have the heart to go to the 'What Stupid Sh*t Did the PO do to YOUR Suby?' thread) may have effed the fuse block. Probably going to have to take that somewhere and have someone just fix it, I've doinked with it repeatedly to no avail.

* Front driver's side wheel bearing - probably just have to nut-up and take it somewhere, I don't have a press.

* Rear axle boots are very dry, one is torn

* Looking for a set of Impreza seats

* Intend to try and find one of those turbo EA-82 wagons and kype the rear discs off it

* Some chap on the board from the Netherlands had put, I think, an XT instrument cluster in his 83? euro GL. I'm still thinking about that.

* Still infrequently burning A/F and losing coolant... but not always. So, eventually I'm going to toss another mill in there. Probably stick with the EA-81, with a Weber. MIGHT consider SPFI, if I wind up near one of the real wizards from the boards.

The list goes on, for the GL. If anyone is in southern Wyoming and feeling like they want to shoot a chilly afternoon, I'll buy the beer and the timing belt kit, if someone's willing to hold my hand while I work.

Yesterday I put a 97 LGT rear spoiler on my 92 lego in doing this I had to weld the old dust deflectors holes shut, this lead to a problem.... I also added a sway bar (it didn't come with one) off from a 97 outback, it handles much better now.

The wing

4.jpg

The sway bar

6.jpg

And the problem welding on my hatch lead to...

1-2.jpg

Luckily I have a parts car and I took this out of it this morning....

1-3.jpg

Loyale:

Timing Belts. Head gaskets. Front axles. D/r 5 speed Transmission. Clutch.

I have a long list of things to do (driving lights, maybe EJ, second battery, onboard air, onboard hard drive/computer, communications radio, etc) but I guess the most pressing one is to get the defrost function working--right now I only get air out the vents that blow AT you, and not up or down to the windshield/floor. I should hit up those driving lights before winter gets too close, but that's optional.

{snip}

The list goes on, for the GL. If anyone is in southern Wyoming and feeling like they want to shoot a chilly afternoon, I'll buy the beer and the timing belt kit, if someone's willing to hold my hand while I work.

Rawlins is a fair drive (300 miles?), but if you wander down to Denver I'll give you a hand.

Edited by man on the moon

Loyale:

Rawlins is a fair drive (300 miles?), but if you wander down to Denver I'll give you a hand.

Oi, MotM, ask not, for I can toss my tools in the back and shuggle on down to the Low Country and take you up on that!

Probably have to wait till after December 2 at this point, have to hand in and defend. NO STRESS!!!

J

Got some stuff to put my GL into hibernation.

Only place to park it is off my driveway sorta in the woods :/

So I'll park it, jack it up, change the oil and do all the stuff to make it a happy hibernating car.

I might be back to it in a month, might be a year. So I have to do it right.

Gonna miss the thing, never let me down in the two years I've had it, and I won't say I drive it like a grandma.

I've recently did and had done quite a bit of work to my Subaru...new tires, lower front passenger ball joint, new knock sensor, new plugs(awhich was lmost a disaster!!!), new valve cover gaskets.

I'm waiting on the Clarion CZ501 head unit and Kenwood speakers to arrive and then I'm installing them with a JL Audio JX360/2 amp and two JL 12" subs in a ported box.

I also bought a rear cargo cover on eBay yesterday and it should be here by the end of the week.

I'm thinking about tinting the windows also.

I do have a problem with my main cooling and sub fan...previous owner cut the wires for some reason. Need to figure out exactly what's up with that and getr them fixed, replace front rotors, and then I believe it will be like new again!

Oi, MotM, ask not, for I can toss my tools in the back and shuggle on down to the Low Country and take you up on that!

Probably have to wait till after December 2 at this point, have to hand in and defend. NO STRESS!!!

J

Shoot me a message if you do, and try to plan for a warmer'ish weekend ;). There might be guys closer in Salt Lake but whichever.

dropped it 3 inches, fresh shocks, new driving lights, fresh axles, fresh ball joints, new brakes, new clutch. ummm... spark plugs, new spark plugs!!

275000 miles runs fine, probably throwing down fifty horse to the wheels. i think this car is the slowest i have ever owned but its cool.

this is how i got it.

2011-10-02%25252016.53.58.jpg

here it is after a little work

2011-10-22_17-09-20_HDR.jpg

2011-10-23_15-43-12_HDR.jpg

2011-10-23_15-41-42_HDR.jpg

not bad for a beater. i think i want to stretch the wheels 2" and swap in a 2.5 na and leave the body just like it is.

what do you think?

"probably throwing down fifty horse to the wheels":burnout:

Car hasn't ran in nearly three years. Put a battery on charge, 5 gallons fuel in it but am going to fill it tomorrow.

Oil, filter, stat, flush, recored radiator, fresh diff and trans fluid. Removed carpet, hammered out quarter panel, installed better tires.

Battery still low and coil wire unplugged. Haven't got oil pressure yet. Fuel pump working.

We'll see. It probably puts down 60 hp to the front wheels. :)

Doug

dropped it 3 inches, fresh shocks, new driving lights, fresh axles, fresh ball joints, new brakes, new clutch. ummm... spark plugs, new spark plugs!!

275000 miles runs fine, probably throwing down fifty horse to the wheels. i think this car is the slowest i have ever owned but its cool.

2011-10-23_15-41-42_HDR.jpg

not bad for a beater. i think i want to stretch the wheels 2" and swap in a 2.5 na and leave the body just like it is.

what do you think?

Looks awesome, How did you lower it? I'm in the process with my 2x4, and you have about the exact ride hight I'm looking for!

GRUMBLE!

So I went to winterize my GL for sitting a while when I'm gone.

I pulled the plugs to spray that fogger stuff in the cylinders. The driver side ones threaded out faster than the pass side ones, and they didn't thread out at all by hand, I had to use a wrench to get them the whole way out. BAD SIGN!

I've never had the plugs out of this before...

So the gap on all the plugs was a bit excessive and since I already had a set of new plugs sitting on the shelf I decided to throw them in.

It appeared they weren't put in before with anti-seize, so I put a dab on the threads and put them in... pass side went fine.

Driver side... ergh. They only thread in half way, wtf.

So upon further inspection, half the threads on the driver side plugs were rusted... the crush washer wasn't up against the plug, the washer was rusty and where it's supposed to touch the plug is rusty. Furthermore, the seat in the head that's usually shiny when you pull out a plug is covered in grime.

Stuck my finger in the hole (NOT what she said) and the threads feel all buggered up. I don't think these were ever threaded all the way in.

Unfortunately I only had one insert, so I ordered more at the parts store that I'll get tomorrow morning. Stuff like this sucks...

Fortunately EA81 makes it wicked easy to access the plugs, I've had to do this on an ej22 and it isn't as fun.

GEDC0820.jpg

I like that color scheme - black on top and bottom with red in the middle. Adds to the sportiness of the XT6. :)

Pulled the heater core out of my blue wagon to have it fixed, but the radiator shop said the core was rotting away; so, I ordered a new one.