Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Not today, but on Tuesday I changed an axle out in a parking lot of a town I'd never been in before... Axle failed on a road trip, and I fortunately ended up in a good place to find a napa and get parts to fix it.

Picture of my workspace complete with my motorized bicycle which I'm very glad I brought.

IMG_3996.JPG

i used to have one of those. mine would get up around 25 before it would vibrate like crazy (after anti-vibratory actions), i hit 32 one day and the motor mount stud broke off :( LOL. ended up fixing it and trading it to a crazy guy for a knock off ruckus, which now has a 150cc. i do miss the bike tho. it was fun, but scary as hell to drive down the road during rush hour traffic on the side streets.

on topic..

i put a tempo spring in a subaru strut and put it on the car, so one side is pretty stiff, the other not so much.

Milwaukee-20111107-00114.jpg

Milwaukee-20111107-00113.jpg

(the camber is not as F'd up, that was right after bringing it off the jack.)

or course, since i didnt get my fender back on.. it rained today and i had to drive my rump roast to work in the rain with no fender. :\

i used to have one of those. mine would get up around 25 before it would vibrate like crazy (after anti-vibratory actions), i hit 32 one day and the motor mount stud broke off :( LOL. ended up fixing it and trading it to a crazy guy for a knock off ruckus, which now has a 150cc. i do miss the bike tho. it was fun, but scary as hell to drive down the road during rush hour traffic on the side streets.

Mine is 66cc two-stroke. 49cc is legal to ride with no registration as long as it has pedals, I doubt any cop can tell a 66c from a 49cc engine...

It'll get up to about 45 on a flat stretch and hold it just fine, I've done a lot of work to the motor to balance it, make it flow nicely, etc. So very little vibration.

A friend of mine calls it a chainsaw on wheels, which is pretty much what it sounds like.

Mine is 66cc two-stroke. 49cc is legal to ride with no registration as long as it has pedals, I doubt any cop can tell a 66c from a 49cc engine...

It'll get up to about 45 on a flat stretch and hold it just fine, I've done a lot of work to the motor to balance it, make it flow nicely, etc. So very little vibration.

A friend of mine calls it a chainsaw on wheels, which is pretty much what it sounds like.

physically the 2 are are identical cept for the piston/bore. i remember when i took the muffler baffle out.. damn thing was loud as hell!

110711141916.jpg

Are those Hella micro DEs? How do you like them? My Brat has old school Bosch fogs; the glass on both lamps is dulled out. I am deciding between the DE's, 550's (closer to what I have, but a tad larger), FF50's or the FF75's. Will not need the wiring harness; should almost be plug and play.

Edited by aba4430
Corrected sentence.

got a standard hatch cabin light installed in my '85 brat. GD gave me the idea, it's a perfect fit to replace the weird spotlight deally and WAY brighter. Doesn't sit high like I guess the EA82 lights do. I got the last one the dealer had in the country... but they might be able to get more.

Replaced HVAC controls in the dash, as they apparently had completely failed (wouldn't even click in, other than off button) with newer one from a Loyale (thanks mjdjdc). But........... did not fix lack of selection.

Turned out to be a holed vac line off the manifold :banghead:

$25 wasted. Oh well. Live and learn.

At least all the wiring under the panels is now properly tucked away and won't buzz and rattle against the panels anymore.

I dunno If I can get the pics but... I used the subi to unload a semi with two 30' long slabs of sapele, as to maneuver them into the restaurant I'm working on building the bar for. After they are glued up I'll transport them to the mill for sanding. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qmCmf_Kf-Bw-umT078c38uef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FPiJrFEaInzBE_nstvj-weef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink

Edited by Yo'J

I dunno If I can get the pics but... I used the subi to unload a semi with two 30' long slabs of sapele' date=' as to maneuver them into the restaurant I'm working on building the bar for. After they are glued up I'll transport them to the mill for sanding. [url']https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qmCmf_Kf-Bw-umT078c38uef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink[/url] https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FPiJrFEaInzBE_nstvj-weef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink

Very cool, I would like to see the finished bar. Are those slabs worth more than your car?

I dunno If I can get the pics but... I used the subi to unload a semi with two 30' long slabs of sapele' date=' as to maneuver them into the restaurant I'm working on building the bar for. After they are glued up I'll transport them to the mill for sanding. [url']https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qmCmf_Kf-Bw-umT078c38uef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink[/url] https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FPiJrFEaInzBE_nstvj-weef8TMHU-Q4qvPg5nORTHI?feat=directlink

haha awesome!

that's gonna make a neat bar!

TundraBrat,

Really cool pic. I want to try that with an EA81 someday. One question, I can tell you have everything in order so you know where it came from. How do you maintain that order while cleaning? Do you clean one part at a time? The only thing I needed to keep in order was my valve train, and I didn't have to worry about that, someone had already mixed everything up for me. :drunk:

>>>1981 Subaru Wagon GL - already lifted 4" with 15"wheels

Last weekend, I upgraded the Soob a bit... finally :clap:

Completed my Rear Disc Conversion; including new rear calipers

Completed the 6-lug HUB conversion on rear only; mounted tires on nissan wheels

Replaced Battery Ground wire to engine block (prolly the source of my charging issues last fall but i've relaced the alt/reg/batt. already.. ha!)

Installed an eBay sourced passenger side door mirror.. I can see!!

Replaced the broken right rear axle that snapped while climbing STEEP snow-covered roads last winter... (yep, she sat idle all summer.. bummer)

>>>>>>> see some more project pics here: <<<<<<<<

picture.php?albumid=311&pictureid=3374

Edited by gadberry
added link

TundraBrat,

Really cool pic. I want to try that with an EA81 someday. One question, I can tell you have everything in order so you know where it came from. How do you maintain that order while cleaning? Do you clean one part at a time? The only thing I needed to keep in order was my valve train, and I didn't have to worry about that, someone had already mixed everything up for me. :drunk:

This was right after, right before boxing up.

Zip Loc baggies (snack size are awesome) and a Sharpee Marker... that way you can stack'm in a box or buck after cleaning (while block and heads are at the shop) and you can get your bench back.

AE81 Coolant sensor, radiator fan switch. Still no radiator fan activity.

Puzzled out the schematic. Okay, puzzled at the schematic. I'll get those 73 component traces memorized..

At least now I can see it overheating in the dash. Not quite done yet, but it's dark.