Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

The contacts in the starter are copper, about $7 from the dealer. Worth checking that out. The brushes are carbon, probably not the problem. But while it's apart, it's easy to check it.

the problem is, it got so hot that it melted the wiring to the starter, and the nylon/plastic isolaters on the starter, so I was thinking that I would be better off getting something in better shape out of a wrecking yard, and I can rebuild the wrecking yard starter. and funds right now will only allow for a used starter :)

the problem is, it got so hot that it melted the wiring to the starter, and the nylon/plastic isolaters on the starter, so I was thinking that I would be better off getting something in better shape out of a wrecking yard, and I can rebuild the wrecking yard starter. and funds right now will only allow for a used starter :)

I missed the melting part, ya. sounds like you have yourself a parts starter at this point..

Put new contacts and a good cleaning into a jy one, you should be fine. It's actually really easy to take apart the whole starter and clean it out.

Just make sure you get a subaru one at the junk yard, not some aftermarket crap.

I missed the melting part, ya. sounds like you have yourself a parts starter at this point..

Put new contacts and a good cleaning into a jy one, you should be fine. It's actually really easy to take apart the whole starter and clean it out.

Just make sure you get a subaru one at the junk yard, not some aftermarket crap.

I figured my starter was junk, I can save the wiring, most of what melted was parts on the starter instead of the wiring going to it, other than the protective rubber boot over the positive contact point on the starter.

I'll get a used one, clean it up, and when I have more money, maybe kit it or something, but for now, I'll be happy just to get the car out of my garage :D

Christmas time really throws a monkey wrench into my car expenditure funds.

I figured my starter was junk, I can save the wiring, most of what melted was parts on the starter instead of the wiring going to it, other than the protective rubber boot over the positive contact point on the starter.

I'll get a used one, clean it up, and when I have more money, maybe kit it or something, but for now, I'll be happy just to get the car out of my garage :D

Christmas time really throws a monkey wrench into my car expenditure funds.

Contacts are only $7, taking it apart and cleaning only costs grease. A few bucks. Easier to do now than taking it out later...

Contacts are only $7, taking it apart and cleaning only costs grease. A few bucks. Easier to do now than taking it out later...

I got grease, and I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and pick up some contacts.

Just cos nobody seemed to notice it, my 2 cents, is that the new bumper looks pretty awesome. Big improvement.

that is a nice bumper, at some point, I'm going to get one on mine, but it's probably gonna be a while :D

Yeah, I got it on there last night and it wasn't too hard either. We cut the old bumper mounts off and welded a 5" 2x1 tube into the groove for the bumper mount. It fit nice and flush. Then we held the bumper in place with a jack stand where we wanted it and tack welded the bumper to the mounts. Took it off and welded it up for good. Anybody ever attached a hitch to a bumper like that? Ill post pics when I get the front bumper on. My plans are to build a winch plate on a hitch that way I can mount it on the front or the rear.

Edited by Resortx

I want to do custom bumpers for both front and rear with a 2” hitch mount on both bumpers so I can

mount a portable winch either end of the car.

Here’s the mount:

th_winchmount.jpg

I think a 6,000 lb winch would be perfect

th_winchmount1.jpg

And having it removable you can use it either front or rear.

th_winchmount2.jpg

Edited by Stubies Subie

I changed the oil in my GL today! Also I decided the GL will be hereafter referred to as "The Rock".

I also changed the gas struts on the rear hatch; this provided two benefits: one it no longer attempts to knock me unconscious while I root around in the back-end, and two, it makes that great deloren door opening "imma gas strut extending" hiss sound. I love that sound.

Next up I'm going to hunt down a vacuum leak that has my engine idling all wonky.

After Stuart mounted 185/70/14s on my wheels for me, I put them on the Legacy :)

Before I had 2 - 185/70/14s on the front, a 195/70/14 on the left rear and a 205/70/14 on the right side... FWD Legacy. But rubbed like a beezy around turns.

185s.jpg

Edited by 92_rugby_subie
Pic added.

Put a new clutch in the GL today. I had to remove the swinging park bench and park my car under it's mount points to hoist the motor out.

That was the easiest damn clutch job ever. If anyone says a GL is hard the change the clutch on... Go work on a transverse V6 chevy :-p

Here's a picture of my shop, it is kind of a mess, it seems to also be the family catch all, plus the kids use it for storage, but I still have room for the boat and a place to work on the car out of the weather:

th_100_1791.jpg

I did go to the Subaru dealer today and picked up the copper contacts, they were $5.00 each and I got 2 of them, then as I was headed to the wrecking yard to pick up another starter, I decided to stop by General Disorders house and show him the contacts to make sure I got the right ones. I told him where I was headed and he said he had a nice starter out of a Legacy that would bolt right up and he reached in a drawer and pulled it out, so I traded him the contacts for the starter and headed for home, I have a Christmas date with my girlfriend tonight so I'll have work on the car later, but at least I got the parts to fix it now :D

I didn't realize legacy and GL starters were the same... they look kinda the same, but I thought I read somewhere they were different.

the Legecy starter is a little shorter then the GL starter but everything else looks to be the same and GD said in a bolt in swap, I compaired the two and it looks like it will work to me, I'll take come compairison pictures when I get home tonight, right now my girlfriend is trying to shuffle me out the front door so I gotta go ....

the Legecy starter is a little shorter then the GL starter but everything else looks to be the same and GD said in a bolt in swap, I compaired the two and it looks like it will work to me, I'll take come compairison pictures when I get home tonight, right now my girlfriend is trying to shuffle me out the front door so I gotta go ....

Shaun - 1

Stuart - 0

Go have fun!

Fully functional exhaust now in, no more fear of CO2 poisoning or being mistaken for a rampaging lawn mower. :clap:

New Magnaflow front section/cat, and had the exhaust shop correct the one-piece system chop the PO had done; John re-flanged the section where the second cat (or resonator?) had been replaced with a welded in pipe and he also tweaked it a bit so that it wasn't damn near rubbing on the drive shaft tunnel like before.

Sounds nice, a little bit of the boxer burble under load but not annoying whatsoever. For now it's just Y-pipe/cat then all pipe until it hits the stock muffler in the back. I may chop the muffler off in the spring and try a Thrush, Dynomax, or Magnaflow for more sound, or even glasspack it with a straight pipe. Dunno.

Edited by SmashedGlass

Fully functional exhaust now in, no more fear of CO2 poisoning or being mistaken for a rampaging lawn mower. :clap:

New Magnaflow front section/cat, and had the exhaust shop correct the one-piece system chop the PO had done; John re-flanged the section where the second cat (or resonator?) had been replaced with a welded in pipe and he also tweaked it a bit so that it wasn't damn near rubbing on the drive shaft tunnel like before.

Sounds nice, a little bit of the boxer burble under load but not annoying whatsoever. For now it's just Y-pipe/cat then all pipe until it hits the stock muffler in the back. I may chop the muffler off in the spring and try a Thrush, Dynomax, or Magnaflow for more sound, or even glasspack it with a straight pipe. Dunno.

My idea for my EA82 is gonna be 2-1/4 from the Y-Pipe back to a 2.5" glasspack where the resonator should be, then a flowmaster/magnaflow muffler off the end... I am incredibly loud with just a glasspack (have a few vids) so I need to quiet things down, and Im 99% sure this will give a nice deep sound without the worry of blowing Oregons 93dba law.

So I also have been trying to nail down a set of Pug's. I have a set of 14 alloys on my car now. problem is 2 rims are kinda bent and now it is almost impossible to find any.

So this 6 lug thing, is it just as simple as taking the hub off lining up two of the holes and then marking 2 others? Then of course just drilling and having tires balanced and mounted? I see several sets of 6 lug Toyota rims on C-List is this the way to go?

Thanks for any help direction I plan on getting this done in time for some Holiday driving my front end shakes a little too much now:)

My idea for my EA82 is gonna be 2-1/4 from the Y-Pipe back to a 2.5" glasspack where the resonator should be, then a flowmaster/magnaflow muffler off the end... I am incredibly loud with just a glasspack (have a few vids) so I need to quiet things down, and Im 99% sure this will give a nice deep sound without the worry of blowing Oregons 93dba law.

i've tempted the idea of just cutting the pipes off and just doing a really short rump roast pipe from the block out to the bottom or something like that....but the cops may not like that.

I already wake up half the neighbor hood when i drive lol