Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I have NO MORE TICK OF DEATH!!!!!!!:headbang::headbang::clap::headbang: :headbang:

lol, for 10,000 miles the car was clacking along without a chance of being fixed but finally the weather broke (55 degrees on december 22nd :eek:) and I had the time and the oil pump is now nice and shiny and new in there and there is........wait for it....... NO MORE TICK OF DEATH!!!! :headbang::headbang::clap::headbang::headbang:

Yes!

Turn signal upgrade (December): Connected the amber side markers to the turn signals that are buried under the bumper. Previously, there was no side visibility at all of the front turn signals, especially in a "changing lanes on the highway" or "stopped at a 4-way stop sign" scenario. No more!

I've always thought about doing that. Connecting the corners into the turn signals. Nobody can see the front ones, and I've even had some rude remarks from people like "turn on your F***ing blinkers..."

Turn signal upgrade (December): Connected the amber side markers to the turn signals that are buried under the bumper. Previously, there was no side visibility at all of the front turn signals, especially in a "changing lanes on the highway" or "stopped at a 4-way stop sign" scenario. No more!

Another option is the pre-facelift '85 and '86 ea82 bumper. Personally I think these bumpers look better, and have the turn signals in the bumper flush and easily visible.

ok here's my list lol

past 3 days or so ive been working on the soob.

did the pcv valve

both temp sensors

air filter

plugs, wires, cap, rotor

2 newer vaccum solenoids off of a loyale i found at a junkyard

along with a diff. stick and the gas tank gasket and metal plate thats behind the cap, mines rusted out.

timing belts

water pump

cam seals

replaced some vaccum hoses

drivers side fog light bulb

sanded and spray painted rims. :D

flushed radiator/ new fluid

and all 4 pcv hoses from the dealership, should be here tomorrow or tuesday !

an then i can finally drive my soob again :headbang:

also cleaned up all the gunk i could get to LOL

and couple of weeks ago, had a new cat welded on, cleaned MAF and o2 sensor plugged back in .

mine does 0-60 in....I'll let ya know when it get's there:popcorn:

This sounds more like it! I timed myself in, oh! It was the red Loyale...oh well. The ECU fried on that one :P. Anyway, I kid you not it took me something like 56 seconds. It dawned on me later I was going uphill, but I've never been able to convince myself that car could have done it any faster on the flat. My white one will hit 50ish and I can merge at freeway speed before the entrance ramp ends.

Edited by man on the moon

are the carb and tbi models really that un-peppy?

my XT/DL is probably 10-12 seconds and the XT/GL part time feels 13-ish. (as in it's a bit slower)

mpfi and 5 speed is boss.. not to mention the XTDL's weight. 2380.

oh and just in case you think i'm exaggerating

here's a turbo 3 speed Xt doing it in ten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlW71gmiGg

by my butt-dyno compared to the video. I would put money on my DL doing that in less time than the 3 speed turbo. I have a camera. I may do my own soon. (will be harder to do not having a digi-dash)

gotted me some trim-rangs from a B-R-A-T

IMAG0099.jpg

p.s. she's only shiny in the rain

IMAG0085-1.jpg

Edited by zukiru

You mean *right* before the entrance ramp ends, right? lol

Depends how long the ramp is :D. But once or twice, yes--or I spot a big gap in traffic and floor it. By the time the gap has closed in on me I'm usually at a decent speed.

Most of the ramps here are metered (stoplighted, not money) during heavy hours. If I time it so I'm rolling up to the line when it's my turn, I can usually beat the car next to me. Twice I've cursed at the other driver because I beat them from a dead stop--and they were in something nicer/newer/faster. This causes me great confusion when it happens, I wonder if something is broken, or if the Matrix is glitching...then I realize they are just being dopes and not driving it.

Well, I set to doing bearings to fix the drumming my GL was making (yeah, just getting around to it. I can procrastinate) . pulled the wheel off to find this:

20111221_114710.jpg

Yeah, that is not a cotter pin and the nut was on hand tight. That explains SO MUCH! I pulled the corner apart enough to know I need new ... everything , so I ordered new wheel end and axle stub and put it all back together only tighter.

I'll fix this damn car yet.

Edited by PadreScout
dont ask questions

Picked up a 87" GL Wagon, EA82 D/R 4WD, paid a little more than I wanted and drove it home. It needed some TLC.

To get it to pass the strict CA smog test, had to replace one of the cats, plugs, distributor cap, O2 sensor, thermostat, gas cap and muffler. Most of you Subaru fans from rust belt states would be in tears over the clean body Subaru's that are scraped because the owners do not want fix there car to pass CA smog test. Many old car owners just cash cars in that don't pass smog for a state issued $1000-1500 check. With this program, it's hard to find cheap old cars for sale.

I replaced a pair of tires on it. Drove it around for a hundred miles in town with no issues.

Last week I drove about 200 miles from home to Yuma, AZ. Water pump started to leak, none of the auto parts shops in Yuma had a pump in stock. I figured I'll fill a few gallon bottles up for the journey home. It took 13 water stops to keep the engine from over heating.

Replaced the pump, hoses, belts, timing belt and A/C idlers, alternator and found a nice condition radiator from a junked 92' (along with finding out the lower radiator hose is different). Engine even idles quiter with those dried out belt idlers replaced.

In a week or two, I'll go through the brakes, replace the lower ball joints along with install a set of new struts. Also want to fab up some new bumpers.

I enjoy driving it, 25-26 MPG is a plus over my Toyota Tacoma that averages 16 MPG.

Fixed an overheating problem with my Loyale replacement.... 96 Legacy BD GT.

I had swapped to a crappy radiator cap. Caused all sorts of problems. Switched back today (after 2 weeks mind you) and :clap: No more overheating, spitting up coolant or otherwise.

Couldn't take the insipid ratting of my cup holder in the Legacy, so I ripped it out and threw it out the window onto the highway. No more ratting, problem solved. :lol:

The cup holders in 2nd gen legacys are some of the most poorly designed garbage I've ever seen.

My 92 legacy now has a stereo louder than it's exhaust, and that's an accomplishment :brow: I also washed it (trying to keep the salt off it) and did an oil change.

my "stereo" on full blast isn't even close to being louder then my exhaust specaily when you get past 2500 at full throttle....i think i get hearing damage everyday lol....and when i say "stereo" i mean my zune hd hooked up to a amp and a couple six inch speakers behind the drivers seat and the passengers seat..not a whole lot of room in a first gen brat