Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

That is possible. I am just now getting into carbs, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance, its a learning curve. But then again, its all shear mechanics and pretty straight forward for the most part.

I know my old EA81 Hitachi had a hiccup when I'd rev it more then 1/4 throttle off idle. But then again, my carb was original and probably worn. Once it was off idle, you could rev it WOT with out any issues. Just of idle it would stumble.

and there is a strange tinging sound at around 4k rpm. Sounds like it may be the exhaust where the heat piping ran up to old engine. down below the passenger cv axle.

Does your exhaust still have the factory heat shields on the cats and midpipe? They could just be expanding from the heat. I have a new factory exhaust with heat shields on my EA82, and there is a tinging while running, and cooling.

Yeah factory. I need to replace the whole thing. I have a whole in my muffler and cat

Yeah factory. I need to replace the whole thing. I have a whole in my muffler and cat

I got the same problem with mine, the car sounds great, except for that rattle, I hate that rattle, will probably replace it with something that don't have them pesky heat shields

That is really, ummm.... Crap! :burnout:

Where is this?

lol something that needs to get scrapped.. as soon as I pull out the speed sensor and two switches I'm ditching the case but just keeping the front diff and selling the center diff to a friend.

Funny thing is I was looking at it and just spinning the center diff with your finger you can feel it getting a little stiffer, I thought it would of taken something a little faster in rotation.

The funny thing is how can 5th be so clean shaven off like that but the gear below is untouched?

and I know at least the WRX owners when they kill gears at least maybe they might have a tooth or so left.. lol I have nothing at all.

I took out the front diff and I thought they are stamped with the gear ratio? I mean I already know my car is 4.11 but I was just wondering

I took out the front diff and I thought they are stamped with the gear ratio? I mean I already know my car is 4.11 but I was just wondering

Nah They've usually just got a number on each item - crown and pinion gears - that should match, this shows that they're a matching item as you're not supposed to change just the crown or pinion gears, they should always be moved as a set.

Mine had "30" engraved on both the crown and pinion gears, it can be hard to see.

Cheers

Bennie

^^ exactly. After the ring and pinion have been run together for many thousands of miles, if you don't keep them together, they'll shred very quickly.

Just count the teeth and divide for the ratio. Easiest way to tell.

Nah They've usually just got a number on each item - crown and pinion gears - that should match, this shows that they're a matching item as you're not supposed to change just the crown or pinion gears, they should always be moved as a set.

Mine had "30" engraved on both the crown and pinion gears, it can be hard to see.

Cheers

Bennie

Mine had in like a yellow marker pin 44 one it, I would of swapped in the LSD in the replacement trans but time and the location of it was not in my favor.. maybe later.

^^ exactly. After the ring and pinion have been run together for many thousands of miles, if you don't keep them together, they'll shred very quickly.

Just count the teeth and divide for the ratio. Easiest way to tell.

I know the ratio but the location that the service manual says makes it hard to see.

I've been drivin it a lot lately, and it's starting to need some more TLC. need new trans and motor mounts (it pops out of 3rd if I let off the gas suddenly), intake gaskets (leaking coolant from one side) and trans axle seals, as well as the seal where the shifter goes in back.

Muffler/exhaust put on the gen 1, only a mere $300 -_- only game around and pressed on time.

Solved more wiring in gen 2, just need to put fuel pump and starter back stock and get front turn signals to not be solid on. Rings finally put on piston, grabbing compressor today and hopefully get the engine finished up.

Cleaned Walmart out of 13" tires in preparation for the fleet's big move to South Dakota for storage while I move to Japan. 2000 Forester lined up to buy when I get there :)

2012_0602AB.jpg

2012_0602AD.jpg

2012_0602AC.jpg

That is sick! Where did you get it?

Finally adjusted my choke. What wonders it has done! My car actually starts! Woooooo. I think it's a little too closed though cause my car chokes up when driving after 200 yds sometimes

I finally got to wash my car, ol KC was feeling a little slighted with my girlfriends Celica geting all the attention, after a new set of tires, a wash job and some armerall on the tires of my girlfriends car, I had to do the same to my Subaru, so I armoralled the tires, and the bumpers, and gave it a bath.

post-39623-136027656774_thumb.jpg

post-39623-136027656778_thumb.jpg

Front end time for Ben...ordered:

-Set of KYB's

-MOOG inner + outer tie rods

-MOOG ball joints

Later on down the road we'll get around to doing the rears. Looking forward to how he feels after the fact.

Any tidbits for the job at hand?:drunk:

Front end time for Ben...ordered:

-Set of KYB's

-MOOG inner + outer tie rods

-MOOG ball joints

Later on down the road we'll get around to doing the rears. Looking forward to how he feels after the fact.

Any tidbits for the job at hand?:drunk:

Start spraying the ball joint pinch bolts with PB blaster NOW.

You're gonna need some big pry-bars and hammers to get the job done, but if you don't break the pinch bolts, it's fairly easy.