Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I started my Gentex 177 mirror instillation tonight, I think it’s gonna look like it belongs there, that’s going to give me an auto dim feature, a compass, and an outside thermometer. I think it’s a nice little upgrade.

I whacked off the old mirror:

th_100_2626.jpg

put what was left of the old mirror bracket back in the car:

th_100_2630.jpg

and sized up the new mirror to see what it's going to look like, I think this is going to be a cool upgrade :D

th_100_2631.jpg

Now to get it wired up, I may call on GD for that one, but not before I try it myself, I mean, how hard can wiring it up be? hehe

What year is your car? I've always wanted a mirror like that but a little later down the road.

What year is your car? I've always wanted a mirror like that but a little later down the road.

my car is a 91 Loyale, but the mirror is out of a 99 Chevy Tahoe, those mirrors are all over the place at the wrecking yards for about 20 bucks a pop, the easiest one to install (because there's so much information about it on the net) is the GNTX-177 your only dealing with 5 wires, one to positive, one to ground one to the reverse lights, or ground if you arn't going to use the reverse feature, then the last two wires go to the temp sensor.

I already got mine wired up and working, will post more pictures tonight after work, it's a VERY nice mirror, I don't regret the upgrade one bit.

the compass is dead on when compared to my Garman GPS, I still need to mount the temp sensor, but will probably put it somewhere up front around the bumper area

Edited by Stubies Subie

What is the reverse feature?

And in other news, Ben got all new tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints and KYB shocks up in the front. Aside from the passanger side ball joint being a real PITA to get out of the lower control arm, and the really crappy spring compressors I got (had to take the struts to a shop to get them done. $40!), everything went well and the difference is SO noticable.

The car just rides so much smoother and the steering is nice and tight now. The tie rods ends were falling apart on both sides of the car and the tie rods themselves were BENT. (How do you bend tie-rods?)

Car is much more planted now, and here I thought it handled well before! Do need to go to a shop and get the alignment done, I tried to do it with some string, and it's tracking pretty straight, but I can just feel going in to turns that the toe is not correct, and the steering wheel is off centre. Overall though, very satisfied. :headbang:

Need to do the rear shocks next.

my car is a 91 Loyale, but the mirror is out of a 99 Chevy Tahoe, those mirrors are all over the place at the wrecking yards for about 20 bucks a pop, the easiest one to install (because there's so much information about it on the net) is the GNTX-177 your only dealing with 5 wires, one to positive, one to ground one to the reverse lights, or ground if you arn't going to use the reverse feature, then the last two wires go to the temp sensor.

I already got mine wired up and working, will post more pictures tonight after work, it's a VERY nice mirror, I don't regret the upgrade one bit.

the compass is dead on when compared to my Garman GPS, I still need to mount the temp sensor, but will probably put it somewhere up front around the bumper area

All 99 tahoes had this mirror stock? I might have to go searching for it, i'm going to guess the mirror is on something that's switched on when the car is on, it's been awhile since I checked on what to use but seems easy but what about the temp sensor? while I don't flip my mirror that often I hate when a car with one headlight aimed up high gets behind you.. I kinda think they do that on purpose.

All 99 tahoes had this mirror stock? I might have to go searching for it, i'm going to guess the mirror is on something that's switched on when the car is on, it's been awhile since I checked on what to use but seems easy but what about the temp sensor? while I don't flip my mirror that often I hate when a car with one headlight aimed up high gets behind you.. I kinda think they do that on purpose.

I don't know if all Tahoes had them, but I do know they came on a number of trucks covering a number of years, fords, chevy, dodge, Nissan ect, that GNTX-177 is a pretty common mirror and it comes in a couple of different versions with and without the temp sensor, it also came with a couple of different readout displays.

yes the mirror switches on when you turn the car on, I'm wiring mine to the cigarette lighter circuit, the lighter circuit comes to life when you turn the key on

the temp sensor is located behind the grill on most all the trucks, very easy to get to and remove when your at the wrecking yard.

I started a thread on the mirror but it got moved to the retrofit section for some reason, I'll update that thread tonight when I get home.

The thread is located here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133725

I don't know if all Tahoes had them, but I do know they came on a number of trucks covering a number of years, fords, chevy, dodge, Nissan ect, that GNTX-177 is a pretty common mirror and it comes in a couple of different versions with and without the temp sensor, it also came with a couple of different readout displays.

yes the mirror switches on when you turn the car on, I'm wiring mine to the cigarette lighter circuit, the lighter circuit comes to life when you turn the key on

the temp sensor is located behind the grill on most all the trucks, very easy to get to and remove when your at the wrecking yard.

I started a thread on the mirror but it got moved to the retrofit section for some reason, I'll update that thread tonight when I get home.

The thread is located here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133725

gotya I did a search and most all of the 99 tahoe's had this this mirror.

When you push button and end on direction hold it and numbers will appear. They are for setting zone. Look on a zone chart and pic the zone that you are in.

post-40473-136027657072_thumb.jpg

Edited by FlatFourFrenchy
Additional info

There's a couple of different charts, one chart shows me in zone 3, the other chart shows me in zone 4

there's two ways to set the compass, you can manually set it by zone number, there's 14 zones programmed into the compass, of you and press and hold the comp button until a "C" appears in the screen C= calculating, then drive slowly in a circle while holding the button until a compass heading appears on the screen, then the compass is set.

when I manually set the compass by driving in a circle, it set the compass to zone 3.

Edited by Stubies Subie

Ripping that idea off. Little led displays of compass and temp will fit somewhere in the dash ..

Hill-holder® cleaned adjusted and functional.

Hold cable release tension rotate stop in out as needed.

Be sure all bakward movement is safe during testing/ adjustment..

Find safe hill to test. Safe.

Hold clutch pump brake a bit release brake wonder at 25yr hydraulics still doin their thing release clutch adjust for release point.. to be sure the silly thing isn't on when in gear.

Weird Subaru Gadget #54: check.

Don't forget to put the spare back like I did.

Ripping that idea off. Little led displays of compass and temp will fit somewhere in the dash ..

that's a really good idea, pull the compass and temp out off the mirror and mount that stuff up where the clock goes :D

I planned on getting a lot more done this weekend then I did, but I did mnage to get the oil and filter changed, I also bought new molded heater core hoses and got those re-routed and away from the clutch pickle fork, so now the clutch moves very smoothly

I pulled both cooling system filters and cleaned them out, 6,000 miles after the reseal, I'm still picking up debris in the filters from the cooling system, the heater core filter was just about completely plugged up, even after cleaning it out 5 or 6 times over the last 6,000 miles, the radiator filter looked pretty good, not a lot of debris in it this time but there was a little.

I'm really glad for those filters, I've managed to clean all that debris out of the cooling system, with out the filters, that junk would have been plugging up my new radiator and heater core again.

I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a filter I can clean out then to pay a 100 bucks to replace a plugged up radiator, I don't understand why more people arn't using those filters

Edited by Stubies Subie

There's a couple of different charts, one chart shows me in zone 3, the other chart shows me in zone 4

there's two ways to set the compass, you can manually set it by zone number, there's 14 zones programmed into the compass, of you and press and hold the comp button until a "C" appears in the screen C= calculating, then drive slowly in a circle while holding the button until a compass heading appears on the screen, then the compass is set.

when I manually set the compass by driving in a circle, it set the compass to zone 3.

On the US map version I would be driving between zones I guess it wont matter much?

I have Installed new tires to my car as I am using 17" tires from the last two years one of my friend suggested that I can use 16" too it will look good so I tried it today but we have full rain here so I have got no chance to take it that's why it is resting in my Garage anyway I will post pics of my older car with old tires and the very same old car with new tires that too very soon.

Performance Parts Online

Edited by Clute

that's a really good idea, pull the compass and temp out off the mirror and mount that stuff up where the clock goes :D

I planned on getting a lot more done this weekend then I did, but I did mnage to get the oil and filter changed, I also bought new molded heater core hoses and got those re-routed and away from the clutch pickle fork, so now the clutch moves very smoothly

I pulled both cooling system filters and cleaned them out, 6,000 miles after the reseal, I'm still picking up debris in the filters from the cooling system, the heater core filter was just about completely plugged up, even after cleaning it out 5 or 6 times over the last 6,000 miles, the radiator filter looked pretty good, not a lot of debris in it this time but there was a little.

I'm really glad for those filters, I've managed to clean all that debris out of the cooling system, with out the filters, that junk would have been plugging up my new radiator and heater core again.

I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a filter I can clean out then to pay a 100 bucks to replace a plugged up radiator, I don't understand why more people arn't using those filters

where can I get these filters for a 96 lego?

I'm guessing that most people don't use these especially newer Subaru cough cough 2.5 cough with the weeping head gaskets because of the "Subaru coolant conditioner" it has TONS of flakes for sealing minor leaks. when I was refilling my radiator with a vacuum tool the "coolant conditioner" clogged the intake screen very quickly. I believe Subaru recommends using this "conditioner" every coolant service.

This is the one I ran in my Jeep, I like it better then the one I have in the Loyale, but only because it was easier to service.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230578141169

and this is the one that I run in the Loyale, much cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400281142813

I also run this heater core filter.

http://www.dearbornclassics.com/filter-heater-core-gano-5-8-ford-and-mercury-1957-1979.html

I’ve been running cooling system filters in my cars and trucks for at least 8 years now, and I swear by the things.

Clean them out every few months, and it keeps all that junk from circulating through your cooling system and fouling up your water pump, heater core and radiator.

There’s so much debris in an unfiltered cooling system that when you first install the filters, you will find that you have to clean them out every couple of hours of run time until the majority of the debris are out of the system, then just service them every few months.

I have no cooling system issues with the Loyale what-so-ever, the heater blots HOT, the engine runs cool, even with the AC blasting on a hot day while stuck in traffic.

I installed the filters at the same time that GD resealed the engine, I refused to even fire it up until the filters were in place, and the first few times I cleaned them out, I got huge chunks of gasket material, some chunks of metal like slag that had broken lose from the casting process, stuff that looked like hair or fur, got no idea where that came from.

The point is I was able to stop all that stuff from circulating through the system and plugging up the new water pump, or the new radiator,

And the heater on this car has to be the hottest blowing heater I’ve ever had in anything.

the Tefba's you have to buy off ebay, because they are made in Austraila and imported to the US, Gano is made in California and you can order them driect from Gano for about 35 bucks a pop.

I'll probably eventually swap out my Gano for Tefba when money allows.

I replaced both axle seals on the trans of my 84, new motor and trans mounts, new accessory belts, and repaired the shift shaft seal.

Nobody, but nobody makes that seal! So, i removed it, cleaned it real well, and filled the hollow parts of the seal with rtv. Then i slipped an o-ring onto the shift shaft, and set the seal on over the top of it. Have driven it 100 miles or so since then, and it's still dry!

I've been havin a problem with 3rd gear grinding and occasionally kickin itself out of gear....after draining the oil and seeing the bits'n'pieces of metal that were in there; now i know why!

Time to start shopping for a 5 speed :brow: