Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Did this today with the help of a friend. I got it all disconnected and then we yanked it out until I can get a engine hoist and stand :headbang:

NOT the original engine... the timing belt cover bolt was backwards (odd) but I guess you could say that the timing belt was replaced...

Then the 4 engine2transmission bolts/nuts were all finger tight... suggests it came out....

Next: Reseal, clutch and WP/Timing belt so hopefully this has 105K worry-free miles to come!

Engineontire.jpg

EmptyBay.jpg

Looks like I put a lift on the front eh?

LooksLifted4.jpg

I went picknpulling today for a compass mirror, of all the cars a Chrysler leberon had one intact all the ford explorer's were pulled there were 5 or more 99's! all gone! I don't care about the dimming mirror itself so I gutted it and was charged significantly less than what they wanted for the mirror (with electronics). I'm going to mount it up just above the center vents, pics to come hopefully tonight.

Changed the intake on the PandaWagon once again...

7436699052_88362584c0_z.jpg

This gave me excellent throttle response but the ECU would go pig rich and billow clouds of black smoke at WOT above 2500 RPM. Was not going to do....

So, I came up with this idea:

7436702414_ed904b9d89_z.jpg

Throttle response is a little delayed, but not too bad. No more clouds of black smoke, no more puffs of blue smoke when getting back on the throttle after high RPM decel, cruise control is calmer, and the intake is quiet. The ECU is much happier with this setup. Till I MegaSquirt it and it will all change again! :lol:

Subynut, check out what this guy did..

Took the Oxy and air flow sensors to tweak the mix

as far as the ecu thinks is going on..

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_111536/article.html

May be irrelevant but it sounds like the ecu is getting unexpected readings

and dumping to default rich mix? Figure out which one is confused and tweak

(maybe a MAF with different range? Heard of it done w vws)

On less elaborate matters..

Rewired the brat fog lamp and tweaked rear wiper/hatch switches going to a lamp and chime. Later that will go to a powered accesory but for now, ding.

A great upgrade to add the wiper switch from the wagon, plugs right in, then find the rear wiper connector under the glove box. .. (lhd) still haven't found the washer wire for the push-to-spray switch.

Next: hidden USB charger port for the player. Currenyly picking up coil noise but should sort that out with some grounds or some such wizardry..

Edited by kayoteq
things forgotten

That intake looks like a restriction because it's a step down in size. Regardless, what's the point?

That's actually a hot air intake because it's taking air from in the engine bay. The stock one actually draws cooler air.

The reason it was going rich was because the Helmholtz resonator that usually sits in the fender is missing - the EJ resonator or air box do not fit in the EA chassis. Well, not without alot of fabrication work - one area I lack. What doesn't help is the phase I ECU goes open loop at 2/3rds or more throttle. When it hits open loop, the ecu just goes mad rich and the smoke begins to billow. The not too smart computer is all sorts of confused with all that extra air turbulence. :(

It has to do with the resonances of an NA EJ engine. Check out Williaty's thread on Nasioc. I also read many a thread on Nasioc and rs25.com that the Phase II EJ25s loose their low end torque when the air box (or torque box as some call it) is replaced with a CAI. (Which I did with the straight through design - even though I had it pulling air in from the fender. The intake sounded soo angry with that setup - which was not helping my lead foot syndrome) So, I figured since the Phase II EJs need the torque box, why not use it to see if that could take the place of the Helmholtz resonator the legacy has. So far, it's looking like it has. More data logging required.....

I will be shortening that elbow to see if I can feed the filter opening into the fender. Engine bay air is quite hot - especially in the desert.:eek:

The piping is still larger than the throttle body, so, it's effect is minimal. I did loose a little power above 5000 RPM, but gained smoother low and mid RPM power. Easier to drive it in parking lots - which has been my only complaint with this EJ swap. Until I go standalone, I want to keep the ECU happy and I found that this has helped the ECU out. Has it negatively effected my high RPM power? Some, but it's only till I can get the standalone ecu.

428857_10151052400404134_1779780677_n.jpg

this is an EA engine? I take it SUUUPER sick!:headbang:

installed new "smart" mirror details here, not so plug and play http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1118842#post1118842

480092_10151891929505372_102328769_n.jpg

forgive my lame posts I'm considering projects like this as therapy for my mild PTSD caused by winters auto. they screwed up bad, lied about it, told me they wanted more money to fix it, lied about refund, refused refund after I had fixed problem with 4eat tail section myself. currently undergoing B.A.R. review

Edited by bluedotsnow