Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

They does look very good!

Why 45 Watts only? ... the average 9004 headlight came in 65/45 watts but also came up to 100/80 watts but those bulbs need Ceramic plugs to last.

Kind Regards.

Modern fog and driving lights have much better reflectors than our stock GL lights. I had some really nice 55w Hellas on my car, and I hard a hard time driving at night without them on. Not to mention most people's GL headlights have a poor ground and are much dimmer than they should be.

They does look very good!

Why 45 Watts only? ... the average 9004 headlight came in 65/45 watts but also came up to 100/80 watts but those bulbs need Ceramic plugs to last.

Kind Regards.

Well, if you go in and take out the headlight bulbs out of my car, it says "45 watt" on them. I don't know; I believe their the stock bulbs. They aren't super bright. Last time I was at the Pick-N-Pull, I grabbed a couple of 55 watt bulbs from an '87 GL (I think), but when I put the bulb in, it didn't really fit properly and the beam was all messed up. Just gonna stick with the 45 watts. I'm tired of messing with my headlights; I've FINALLY got them in a usable state, two months after I bought the car. :D

Modern fog and driving lights have much better reflectors than our stock GL lights. I had some really nice 55w Hellas on my car, and I hard a hard time driving at night without them on. Not to mention most people's GL headlights have a poor ground and are much dimmer than they should be.

My old GL had pretty dim lights. Not to mention that, due to damage, my right headlight was aimed up and too far to the right, unable to be fixed. But I always kept the "third eye" light on, so I could see better. :-p But it was an '81 GL, so of course the lights weren't gonna be that bright, haha.

The headlights on my Loyale are okay. They let you see the road right in front of you, as well as some nearby signs, but that's it. The high beams feel like the low beams on my family's '99 Explorer. These aux. lights definitely do help, even though I never really drive at night. :D I should take photos comparing all my lights, or a video. Maybe.

Edited by jj421

HID conversion, best $50 I've ever spent, try it, you might like it. It will make those new lights you put on, totally useless. Mine have 100w bulbs in them, and they still can't out shine my HIDs.

:slobber: were do you get those? Edited by mikaleda

It's the latest product we just introduced at GorillaOffroadCompany.com. They were fit on a 2002 Impreza OBS do my research found these would fit the following models/years.

Impreza 93-07

Forester 98-08

Legacy 95-99

(corrections welcomed)

WIN! correct geometry is vital! I was hoping to see a lift kit on your product page but was very impressed with the skid plate and bar! I drooled over the intake but have a MAF engine, sobs so MAP intake for me. what brand of lift do you have on your OBS? any recommendations for a lego?

HID conversion, best $50 I've ever spent, try it, you might like it. It will make those new lights you put on, totally useless. Mine have 100w bulbs in them, and they still can't out shine my HIDs.

They do look very nice, and bright! But like I said, I'm tired of messing with my headlights. Plus I got other things to pay for before I move to that. I need to replace the axle, bearings, and brake pads on both the front right and front left first. That's what I'm currently saving up for. Gonna run me a couple hundred. Then when I'm finished with that, gonna do some cosmetic work like repainting, then I might go back to the headlights. :D Apparently other people who also bought those aux. lights said you can do a HID conversion on them, and they said they were just as bright as expensive, name brand offroad lights. So maybe I'll get around to doing a HID conversion on all four lights. :-p

987687, DDM tuning is a great site, I almost forgot about that. Yes being able to select your own specs it awesome and easy.

jj421, You can convert any Halogen light you want to HID, as the bulbs are removable from the housing. HID kits come with their HID bulb which replaces the original bulb, then you just need to wire in the ballasts (Comes with a plug, so they would be plugn'play with ur stock headlight connector.

Keep in mine though, I wouldn't run HIDs in driving/offroad lights which you are going to turn on and off continuously. Turn HIDs on/off constantly will kill them, they are made to burn, and take a few seconds to warm up to their full power.

Higher-end cars that have HID High-beams from the factory, are always on when the headlights are on, but they have a shield which slips over the high-beams when not in use, so when you flash your high-beams, they are at their full brightness.

Keep in mine though, I wouldn't run HIDs in driving/offroad lights which you are going to turn on and off continuously. Turn HIDs on/off constantly will kill them, they are made to burn, and take a few seconds to warm up to their full power.

Higher-end cars that have HID High-beams from the factory, are always on when the headlights are on, but they have a shield which slips over the high-beams when not in use, so when you flash your high-beams, they are at their full brightness.

Yeah, I learned that a little while ago. I think some newer cars don't even have a "flash to pass" feature because of it. I don't usually quickly flash any of my lights on/off, so I don't think it'd be a huge problem. But I don't know. Again, I might get around to it later. My general goal for my car is to keep it as stock and original as possible, and I don't know how much HIDs would stray from that. :-p I might just do a HID conversion in the aux. lights, but keep the regular headlights stock.

Yeah, I learned that a little while ago. I think some newer cars don't even have a "flash to pass" feature because of it. I don't usually quickly flash any of my lights on/off, so I don't think it'd be a huge problem. But I don't know. Again, I might get around to it later. My general goal for my car is to keep it as stock and original as possible, and I don't know how much HIDs would stray from that. :-p I might just do a HID conversion in the aux. lights, but keep the regular headlights stock.

You can still flash your high beams when you have HID conversion in standard reflectors. The HID bulbs that go in place of the high/low bulbs have a little motor as part of the assembly that moves the HID bulb forward or back to change the reflection angle, and thus make it high/low.

I can't comment on the quality if that mechanism from DDM, as I don't have it. I have JDM projectors in my car, so I just use a fixed H3. I never turn my headlights off, and I've put over 35k miles on mine, they're holding up awesome.

You can still flash your high beams when you have HID conversion in standard reflectors. The HID bulbs that go in place of the high/low bulbs have a little motor as part of the assembly that moves the HID bulb forward or back to change the reflection angle, and thus make it high/low.

A while back, I read online somewhere, I think on a Cadillac forum, that flashing the high beams with HIDs makes them susceptible to burning out. I guess it depends on the car and the bulbs.

Yeah, the High/Low thing is a gimmick for the most part, it doesn't really add more light (Perhaps cause I'm not running projectors either)

I personally like having another set of bulbs for the high-beams, 4 bulbs are better than 2 :)

Yeah, the high/low just changes the beam, not the amount of light. However, I know on my family's Explorer, if you pull the turn signal stalk towards you (the "flash to pass" feature) and hold it, both the low and high beam filaments are lit, ergo virtually doubling the amount of light. Still not that bright though. Definitely prefer additional lights. :-p

A while back, I read online somewhere, I think on a Cadillac forum, that flashing the high beams with HIDs makes them susceptible to burning out. I guess it depends on the car and the bulbs.

I don't see why, that has what's called a bi-xenon HID. It's the proper way to do HID lighting. It's a projector designed for a HID bulb. There's a little piece of sheet metal attached to a solenoid between the bulb and the lens.

When it's in low beam mode, the shutter is down, cutting off the beam at the focal point. This makes the nice sharp HID cutoff, and doesn't blind oncoming drivers. In high beam mode, the shutter moves up, this allows the projector to throw light all over the road, and works very well. But all that's happening to change from low to high is activating the solenoid and moving the shutter up and down.

The ones that are improperly aimed (ie. putting HID's in 25 year old reflectors designed for halogens), are what's blinding you at night.

+1 its a lot easier to drop the bulb in and make it work, but a lot of them "ricers" (around here at least) dont think that far ahead.. lot of the time they need to be aimed way low..

I have Projection HIDs in one of my cars.. love 'em. Nice and bright and the horizon is set perfect. I'm gathering parts to do projection HIDs on my impreza..

-Justin

I don't see why, that has what's called a bi-xenon HID. It's the proper way to do HID lighting. It's a projector designed for a HID bulb. There's a little piece of sheet metal attached to a solenoid between the bulb and the lens.

When it's in low beam mode, the shutter is down, cutting off the beam at the focal point. This makes the nice sharp HID cutoff, and doesn't blind oncoming drivers. In high beam mode, the shutter moves up, this allows the projector to throw light all over the road, and works very well. But all that's happening to change from low to high is activating the solenoid and moving the shutter up and down.

I've noticed that on the road with oncoming drivers. A gradual transition from high to low beam, and it does cut off the light so it's not blinding.

Oh, and I found that forum again. I guess I remembered it wrong. What it's saying is if you have your headlights on already, then the flash-to-pass feature works as it should. But if your headlights are turned off, you are unable to flash 'em because the bulbs might burn out, which makes more sense.

Disagree. Reason I hate HIDs is because they're so damn blinding.

I don't usually find them blinding. If they're on low beams, they're actually easier for me than some other headlights. But if they are on high beam, it's like looking into the sun. :D Or, like others have said, if they are improperly aimed, that's not good either.

lately, changed out the pcv hoses, deleted ASV baffles, deleted Antiafterfire valve, changed some fluids, tune up. Tried to install stereo but it was more trouble than it was worth.

today I bought 2 195/70r14 bridgestones and got my pugs mounted. No more washboard freeways. also fixed a loose trim piece on the rain rail (though I hesitate to call a zip tie a "fix"). trimmed a friends fenders on his brat to clean them up a bit, and did some pre work on setting him up a spare tire mount.

IMG_0114.jpg

Pulled the wiring harness off a donor EJ22, took some other parts off. Sent the wiring harness of to SJR, hopefully get it back soon. I bought one of the members cars here where he put a ej22 into a 87' gl and then tried to Carb it. Tore off all the carb stuff.. Anyone need this setup? Weber Carb and Distributor, and other stuff??? Took off the Intake Manifold, looks like he drilled the intake with it mounted, worried about shavings in the engine! Took off Intake Manifold and pulled the Manifold off the Donor Car.. I wonder how much of a headache this is going to be once I get the Wiring harness back!

Looking for some Peugot Wheels, Anyone know the Backspace off of them? Looking into getting some made...

Bought the 2" lift made by The Beast I drive, looks well made and thought out!

Cant Wait until I get this thing going!!!