Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

installed wiper motor

On a legacy? Is there a good way to get the cup over the ball on the wiper motor pivot? Because it took me a good long while of swearing and cursing to get that one on. And I still didn't figure out a good trick.

Gumout injector cleaner took the light off on the Outback.. Pulling code 71 for the ABS/VDC light. Going to reset the code and see if it comes back.. car was hit before I bought it so hoping its an old code before they fixed it. Dogs keep turning on the heated seats when they get left in the car so now my fuse is blown. again.

Roll bar and push bar transfered over from my Gen 1 parts Brat to the driver.. need to seal an old bolt hole and redrill it so the water pump lines up right. Otherwise, everything is coming up Millhouse!

On a legacy? Is there a good way to get the cup over the ball on the wiper motor pivot? Because it took me a good long while of swearing and cursing to get that one on. And I still didn't figure out a good trick.

no on a GL but yeah there is really no good way it took me a while and i have

no windshield or cowel on took me 30 mins and a big prybar

Dogs keep turning on the heated seats when they get left in the car so now my fuse is blown. again.

you should move the switches to the dash somewhere and possibly put a fighter pilot toggle guard on itSwitchguard.JPG

dogs will be dogs, in addition to blowing a fuse wouldn't that drain your battery?

Dogs keep turning on the heated seats when they get left in the car so now my fuse is blown. again.

It's summer, do you really need heated seats right now? Just pull the fuse til winter, and look into a switch relocation in the mean time. :D

It did drain the battery once... I was fortunate enough to be out in the country shooting.. far away from town -_- Heat isnt necessary but im a bit ocd about things not working in my vehicles.

I am thinking about a wire wall of some sort to keep the dogs out of the front seat.. its a VDC so I dont want to make the interior look cheap by adding toggle switches.

Reset the ABS and the light didnt go out.. wonder if its an alignment issue or bad sensor.. be nice if it told me which one to check out.

Reset the ABS and the light didnt go out.. wonder if its an alignment issue or bad sensor.. be nice if it told me which one to check out.

Not sure what year your roo is, but subaruforester.org has a couple of PDFs on ABS troubleshooting:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/2002-abs-diagnostic-procedure-44346/

Might be something to check out. :)

Edited by subynut
spelling

I am thinking about a wire wall of some sort to keep the dogs out of the front seat.. its a VDC so I dont want to make the interior look cheap by adding toggle switches.

Aren't there all kinds of dog fences designed specifically for Subarus?

I bashed in the front valance panel and oil pan on my "new" Loyale 4 wheeling. 60 miles after putting tags on it.

Nice work. Hit the skid plate so hard you still dented the oil pan?

:mad:I bashed in the front valance panel and oil pan on my "new" Loyale 4 wheeling. 60 miles after putting tags on it. :banghead::Flame:

I'd need a lift to go where I did again.

Doug

Now *that's* how you welcome a car in to the family :). Good luck with the repairs. Does/did it have a skidplate?

It does have a skidplate...still laying on the garage floor. I know...dumb@@@. Insert red face. I've even got a brace from the skidplate to the bumper...still on the floor.

I guess I'll stick them on since I'm going to be under there anyway:)

Doug

Not sure what year your roo is, but subaruforester.org has a couple of PDFs on ABS troubleshooting:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/2002-abs-diagnostic-procedure-44346/

Might be something to check out. :)

Thanks :D Hadnt come across that one. Mine is a 2001 so it should be a good start..

Baja just showed up so I already tore into it.. 120k on it and the owner has never done any sort of tuneup other than "a new belt." Havent checked the oil yet, but the air filter is one of the nastiest ones I have ever seen. Cabin air filter is missing, ton of leaves and crap in its place. Cant wait to see how the plugs look tomorrow.. Folks still got 26mpg on the way down though :clap:

Have to say, looking at them I never thought the Baja had the same spirit as the Brat.. Drove it around today and its complete 180, still got the soul in there, and so many little features for the driver.. should have bought one years ago.

*followup

All 4 plugs had oil in the tube around the spark plug, but otherwise fine.. Sensor around cabin filter was disconnected waiting for filter to show up tomorrow, folks used the ac level 3 with it disconnected, heard a pop, and now level 3 doesnt work -_- Assuming the resistor setup is similar to the Brat.. going to look at that next. Tailgate handle was stuck.. return spring all cruded up. Vehicle came from Minnesota so everything metal has a light-medium amount of rusting on it. Yep. Still a Brat.

Edited by hanyou

STILL working on this reseal... 1990 FWD Legacy

But I have been removing parts that need seals, and workin on it... Painted the valve covers (to keep an eye on leaks and it looks cool IMHO)

RightSideValveCover.jpg

ValveCoversAssembledOnEngine.jpg

On a related note, picked up an engine stand for $10 today so project will come along a lot smoother... Unfortunately clutch wasnt purchased today because some oil was spilled, cat litter to clean it up and cats decided to use said litter within 2 hours of putting it down and one cat got sick :( probably got oil on paw and licked it... poor "slow" kitty....

Unfortunately clutch wasnt purchased today because some oil was spilled, cat litter to clean it up and cats decided to use said litter within 2 hours of putting it down and one cat got sick :( probably got oil on paw and licked it... poor "slow" kitty....

thats a tough choice but IMO you made the right one!

ill get some more pics up soon.....working off my phone still. i have a thread in members rides, basically, take TomRHere's wagon and add a bullbar and shadowmags lol. ive also been pulling parts from a jy 88gl same color same everything, except instead of 257k the jy twin has 394k! and people doubt the reliability of the ea82.....:Flame:

this week i stripped the bed of my dads brat out wire wheeled it, primed and painted it, and sprayed on the bed liner in a can need to do some paint on the out side of the bed but it looks great:headbang:

292994_168877763247370_952019890_n.jpg

Great job. What is that curved pipe looking thing on the left side? Is it the gas filler pipe?

In preperation for the trip to WCSS, I replaced the tires in the PandaWagon - much more traction in the wet!:clap: In between rainstorms, I also swapped the cams in my sister's wagon - we cannot get the idle right, starting is a delicate dance, and it's power is meh. So, I'm put the OEMs back in to see of that will help out the idle and starting. Will start the retuning tonight.

pulled all the extra valvetry off of my hitachi, fixed a few vacuum leaks along the way. paint marked my timing marks so I could set it correctly (and dropped it from 22 deg to 8 like its supposed to be). got it retuned and setup, seems to be working ok, definitely idles better.

Well, had my first backfire in the face yesterday. Was working on tuning my sister's carb when POP!.....cough cough...... Then I noiced the engine running very rough. Thinking I forgot to tighten one of the t-belt tensioners, I pulled the covers off and....no, they're fine. I fired up the engine again and noticed tink..tink..tink instead of the typical ea82 tak tak tak.....hmmm, checked the vacuum and it's doing the dropping to zero in time with the "tink"....Great, what did I break?

I noticed the "tink" coming from the driver's side (of course) head area, so I pulled the valve cover and found one of those pieces that holds the valve stem to the spring top (I can't think of the name off hand) sitting in the valve cover. Uh oh.... I check the cam followers - OK, OK, OK, wait what? That one is crooked! :eek: Somehow, I managed to knock that one rocker arm off the valve stem during install of the cam tower.:banghead:

So, instead of an evening of tuning, it was an evening of pulling the engine, pulling the cam tower, and the head. :banghead:

The valve "looks" ok, and there is no evidence of the piston smacking into the valve. It is crooked since that one holder piece is missing, so, maybe it's OK. The cam looks OK, at least nothing jumps out and says "I'm broke". The only other damage I see is the cam follower is scratched (I have spares) and there's some minor damage to the valve spring top. I will be taking the head down to the machine shop to have it looked at. Hopefully, nothing major.

Needless to say, I am not happy with myself. Next cam swap, I am pulling the engine. Easier to work on it and easier to see if I misaligned something.:banghead: