Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Finished my sister's car. I replaced the cam belts and tensioners - no more noise in the valvetrain. Had the bearing in the idler pulley replaced. No more whine. Whoo hoo!:banana:

Changed the oil in the PandaWagon. Then the monsoon rolled in, had to close up shop for the night. Still need to do some electrical checks, and a general look over everything, afterwords, a good bath inside and out, and then she will be ready for the trip to WCSS.

Scored a NOS un-used rim to replace my very bent rim, and got a used tire thrown on it the very bent rim. Now I have a full sized spare! :headbang:

IMG_20120810_115546.jpg

Tuned up the GL in preparation for the cross country trip.

NGK plugs

NGK wires

Dist cap

Rotor

Fuel Filter

Forgot the damn PCV though.

And wow, what a difference. First tune-up on the GL since I've gotten it and it's amazing how much more responsive and peppy the car is. Can't wait to see the gas mileage I get with it now after getting 30mpg highway with worn out components.

Sheared about 1.5 inches off the pitch stop rod on my 85 brat about a week ago while trying to tighten it a little. Finally had time to fabricate a new one. Cut the metal ring with bushingoff the old rod, welded it onto a piece of 1/2" rod, welded that to the longest 12 x 1.75mm bolt I could find, then welded a piece of 1/2" id pipe over the joint. The welds aren't very good, the mig welder wasn't letting gas through for some reason, but its working so far.IMAG0094.jpg

Just nuetered the Wagon from FT4WD to FWD.

Bad u-joints and carrier bearing was reason. Spare driveshaft had bad u-joints also.

So just the front section is in now.

Had to lock the center-diff-lock to be able to drive it.

But no more squeaky squeak going down the road now.

86 GL Wagon here... replaced clutch and front drive axles. I'm pretty new to the Subaru scene, so due to that fact (and the 100* temps we've been having), I worked on these items for over a week on and off. If I had to do it again, I"m pretty sure I could knock it out in a weekend if the weather was nice. This 86 belonged to my wife, but she offered to give it to me if I wanted to fix it up, so I made it road worthy and will probably play around with it more as time permits. The drive axles were a little intimidating at first, but once I got going it wasn't too bad. This thread helped me a lot...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75750

I'll admit, the passenger side went in a little easier than the drivers side, but I did have to cut a spacer (~1-1/8" long) from 4130 tubing in order to press the axle into place using the axle nut. Not a problem in the future... pretty straight forward.

I'm pretty impressed with the overall construction of this vehicle and relative ease of access and maintenance items. This is a Limited Edition model with D/R tranny and electric locks, windows, etc. Everything works great. In fact, the original owner provided all service records since new and it has been well maintained. With 185,000 miles and an engine that does not burn oil (yet), this ought to be a fun car to play with.

I sure do appreciate the tips and reference materials on this site. I have a Haynes manual, which certainly helped me perform tasks in the proper order... but most of my study for servicing these items came from this forum. Good stuff here.

Put on a replacement 2nd cat (nothing was wrong with the stock one) and I put on the new resonator.

I should of heated up the 2nd 02 sensor because by the time I did and used kroil I bent the sensor so I get the P0141 code now.. but I kinda planned for that so no biggie.

The past Weekend, I Changed the Old Engine Oil on my Subaru "BumbleBeast"

:)

First I Poured a can of Engine Flush to the Old oil

and let the engine Idle fifteen Minutes, 'till it reached its Normal operating temperature.

Then Flushed it out, replaced the Old Oil Filter with a fresh one, and Poured Fresh "Motul" 20W~50 SAE SM Oil...

and added a Can of Hydraulic Lifters' additive. ;)

(More info on Oils, ~► Here)

OilChangeinmyEA82.jpg

Kind Regards.

Shaking a wrench at my Outback. (2001 h6 vdc)

120k miles, fairly recent tuneup.. new plugs (Autolite, not NGK unfortunately), oil change (5w30 full synthetic), new oil filter, new fuel filter, new PCV, new Fram air filter, and cleaned sludge out of the bottom of the antifreeze overflow with a refill.

Had an oiled air filter in previously for less than 3000 miles and ended up with a CEL light right after the tuneup, new air filter has been in less than 300 miles.

Reset CEL and hasnt come back, was showing P0171 and P0174. Mileage has gone from roughly 28mpg down to around 14. I have found nothing disconnected and no holes in my vacuum lines. I do have an ABS 71 code but I doubt that would effect things. Autolite plugs now have some glazing on them that look like overheating. No bubbles in my antifreeze, nothing in my oil either.

Tire pressures are as marked on the door. I have also run Gumout fuel injector cleaner through as well with no noticeable change.

Edited by hanyou

Shaking a wrench at my Outback. (2001 h6 vdc)

120k miles, fairly recent tuneup.. new plugs (Autolite, not NGK unfortunately), oil change (5w30 full synthetic), new oil filter, new fuel filter, new PCV, new Fram air filter, and cleaned sludge out of the bottom of the antifreeze overflow with a refill.

Firstly, stay away from Autolite plugs on an import car, spend the extra few cents to get NGK coppers. Secondly, stay the HELL away from any FRAM filters, especially oil filters. They're literally made with cardboard. Get Wix filters if you can.

Funny the mileage went so poor so fast. Is it running rough at all? Maybe a brake or two is sticking, have you lifted the car fully up and spun the wheels to see how well they spin?

It has been running smooth, although it has a noticeable lack in power. My fault on the plugs, sent the wife to buy a set, guess I wasnt specific enough. Doesnt seem like stuck brakes. I did briefly had a hard to start/no start this week but I think it was rust on the battery terminals as opposed to the fuel issue.

It has been running smooth, although it has a noticeable lack in power. My fault on the plugs, sent the wife to buy a set, guess I wasnt specific enough. Doesnt seem like stuck brakes. I did briefly had a hard to start/no start this week but I think it was rust on the battery terminals as opposed to the fuel issue.

Maybe a mixture issue, do any of the plugs look like they're running rich? Stuck injector or o2 sensor perhaps.

Did the problems start before or after your tuneup?

I just put a fram air filter in my car yesterday It's about the only one that fits a 2nd gen legacy with out fighting with the filter cover..

The one that was in it was the one with the metal sides.. you know the one that everyone always wants..

The worst filters as far as fitting are the purolator's.

I only use purolator for oil filters however.

Problems were after the tuneup. I dont believe it is the o2 simply because its showing lean on both banks. I originally thought the MAF but this model doesnt have that. I will pull a different plug and get a picture of it tonight. Signs of being lean to me, but I can smell fuel at the exhaust. Really dont want to risk burning the valves so I am trying not to use it at the moment.

Trying to figure out how to get at the EGR without taking the intake off. Engine layout on this model is unpleasant to say the least. EZ30 was named ironically I think..

lol it fell off not too long after that picture but it's back up again.. if it falls again i'm going to use epoxy, but so far it's nice! I just gotta get used to it a bit when looking at it it feels I don't know how to describe it squished looking.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Secondly, stay the HELL away from any FRAM filters, especially oil filters
+1

Mobil 1 filters are my choice for oil filter.

Ripped apart the hub on the GL, driver's side.

Got a hub out of the ONLY subaru gl in a junkyard in NJ. It was a red Loyale wagon.

New grease and bearings in the donor hub, slapped that on the car.

New exhaust manifold gaskets. I have videos I'm going to link to in my members section thread of what the car sounded like open header for a day...:Flame:

Nice and quiet now though.

Going to delete the cat when I get back from the west coast, it's leaking.

Donor vehicle:

IMG_20120813_163631.jpg

IMG_20120813_163634.jpg

Not sure if the donor vehicle was a GL or a Loyale actually. It had a Loyale style steering wheel but the trim on the doors says SUBARU instead of LOYALE.

All I know is that it has cruise control, and I need to dig up some threads to figure out what I need to take to get it out!

Edited by l75eya

I'ved noticed that with the newer Subaru mirrors. It was strange when I drove a 2003 Outback.

lol it fell off not too long after that picture but it's back up again.. if it falls again i'm going to use epoxy, but so far it's nice! I just gotta get used to it a bit when looking at it it feels I don't know how to describe it squished looking.

Yeah... too bad you can't get one of those long mirrors that you can see all 3 lanes behind you but then you can't put down the visors :P

that picture above makes me need to go out and find another illumantion control for my Legacy.. I blew it when I had a wire reverse and some magic smoke came out.. which means I can't dim my dash.

I don't think it could be in the stalk too but I'd have to check..

I need a drivers side fuel sender.. I got one damn bolt I can't get off so I can check it.

Did my brakes today and that's when I found out Amazon sent me the wrong pads for the rears.. good thing when I got this car they had a new box of pads for the rears.

The front's were in dire need of replacements..

This picture says it all!

IMAG0167.jpg

After that I finally put in the JDM headlights that I swapped out the projector for the FX-R projectors.. the beam pattern is very wide!

IMAG0171.jpg

The headlights also have a retrofitted LED turn signal

IMAG0173.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Cleaned the EGR and sprayed up into the IACV, ton of crud came out. Tried to take it off to clean it but the screw head started to strip. Car seems back to normal, 50 miles down and I havent even hit the F mark yet. EGR didnt look too bad, lot easier to get to than I thought.