Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

a radio from an '87 GL, which gives me an upgrade to a cassette player :lol:;

Make sure to use a tape deck cleaner and that thing should last you a while. I'm a big fan of the stock tape decks because cd players seem to get stolen too often in my town. Nothing beats a tape adapter and your ipod!

Parked my ea81 in storage for now. Now I'm focusing on getting my winter car finished up before it snows here.

If you snag an agricultural belt that's the right length, it might last longer. They tolerate off kilter applications much better than a regular rubber belt.

Twitch

WOW! That's a really great idea. Those things take a total beating. I can adjust the system to use quite a variety of different belt sizes, I'll definitely give it a shot :D

WOW! That's a really great idea. Those things take a total beating. I can adjust the system to use quite a variety of different belt sizes, I'll definitely give it a shot :D

Don't forget to cinch it down tighter than a rubber belt. They don't grab quite as well and will need extra tension to keep everything working as it should.

Twitch

Make sure to use a tape deck cleaner and that thing should last you a while. I'm a big fan of the stock tape decks because cd players seem to get stolen too often in my town. Nothing beats a tape adapter and your ipod!

Doesn't seem like many people here steal others' radios, which I guess is a good thing.

I like cassettes over CDs, but I still prefer just the radio. :D I might go to a thrift store and pick up some Aerosmith cassettes or something. :D

Yeah, we have a cassette adapter, and I was listening to the music on my phone on my way home from work tonight. Too bad you can't change songs from the radio itself, as unlocking my phone every time is pretty distracting.

The plug in that back of the radio that hooks to the tape player is really easy to hack. The radio actually has an output, and the amp circuit has an input in that connector. When you don't have a tape player, there's a jumper connecter that hooks it together. So the radio is always going to the amp. I just hacked it with a switch for either radio on an ipod plug. So I have ipod in to the factory radio. It's pretty nifty.

Got the GL washed. About time to get all that flood-water off. (splashed on from driving through massive lake intersections in Hoboken, not from being submerged.)

Windshield is replaced, new windshield wipers installed.

Inspected.

Ben got some headlights last night, windshield wipers, and he as well has been inspected. He's still slowly leaking coolant, and he's due for an oil change soon.

The GL is due for timing belts, an oil change, and possibly a new transmission soon =\

I have been thinking about getting into flipping older subaru's meating them up and what not.... I live in california where the cars have less rust so body work would be less of a hassle....

does anyone know of people doing this in california?

does anyone think there is money in restoring old brats and the likes with suspension mods?

I swear the junk yards here have plenty of these for parts. how hard is it to get rebuild kits for MT's of that genera?

I put new head gaskets, clutch, seals, timing belt, etc, etc on my '00 outback. Took it out for the first drive not all screwed up. It's a great car! I'll figure out the wheel bearing tomorrow and finish cutting out rust and welding in the patch. It's almost done :popcorn:

twitch man I'm so sorry I hope you find one that suites your needs I know how hard it can be to replace an old friend you poured your blood and sweat into...

all bad uninsured motorists go to hell and I'm sure all good subarus go to heaven if there are such places......

Thankfully they ended up having insurance.

But the insurance adjuster doesn't know what its like to pour your life into a vehicle. So I had to go to a lawyer :-\

I'll keep y'all updated.

Twitch

Seems that when it's cold outside, PandaWagon's in-dash volt meter does not want to work. I have an auxillary volt meter and it showed all was OK.:confused: Will confirm later when it warms up a bit. (To a desert rat, 35 degrees is COLD. What's great? It will be back in the upper 70's by wednesday!)

PandaWagon also had a little trouble starting this morning, then I stalled it pulling out of the driveway and it took a little work to get it started again. No CELs, so, I'm gonna check for leaks in the intake tract from the throttle body to the MAF.

^^Sometimes cold weather finds the weakest link.

My GL blinker stock return springs don't work when it's below 20°F. This morning it was 9°F, here in Durango. So much for my garden. It will be a good test as this is the most cold the engine swap has seen since it went in. At least it isn't running in limp mode and should cope alright. It's the battery I'm worried about.

That sounds like my old blue wagon. Below 28 would bring out all the weird sounds - screaming from the dash, blinker switch didn't work, only speed 3 on the fan would work, and it would blow only in the defrost position. To name a few. Of course it had other quirks on the other end of the spectrum - above 90 would bring out either the bucking bronco idle or the 5000 rpm idle and a blinking CEL. Check the codes: No codes. Anywhere between those two temps, the car ran flawlessly!