Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

My GL is officially the garage queen!   :)

I ran across a low mileage '05 Rav I couldnt say no to.  So it will be the wifes DD and our road trip rig.  

I finished up with giving the Rav a base-line service just so I know things are up to speed.  Pretty clean little thing.

I think its even SMALLER that the GL  :huh:

Ill have to do a photo-shoot and comparo with these two little 4wds.   They are VERY similar in more ways than you could imagine... Silly little japanese rigs!

newrav2.jpg

• Like 1

My GL is officially the garage queen!   :)

I ran across a low mileage '05 Rav I couldnt say no to.  So it will be the wifes DD and our road trip rig.  

I finished up with giving the Rav a base-line service just so I know things are up to speed.  Pretty clean little thing.

I think its even SMALLER that the GL  :huh:

Ill have to do a photo-shoot and comparo with these two little 4wds.   They are VERY similar in more ways than you could imagine... Silly little japanese rigs!

newrav2.jpg

The only problem with the Rav-4 is that the engine and transmission point the wrong way :P

And the AWD/4WD system isn't as cool as a Subaru's :P

Twitch

PS: Congrats on being able to stash the GL in the garage. Keep it away from the nasty road grime for a while.

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

Yes, motor is pointed the wrong way.

But this vintage Rav uses the same type of AWD system that most Subarus do. A viscous coupled center diff controls power distribution front to rear.

Only hang-up is the non- "symmetrical" front axle lengths due to the transfersely mounted engine and trans.  So loss of traction in severe cases it due primarily to torque steer.

Fun little rig though.  

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the Ditsy in Wedge. Power is back, tach is back to it's normal self, no more rough idle, and my hesitation in mid-throttle is gone.

All was good till my return from lunch today when the misfire returned! Idling rough, lower power, and exhaust sounds like it's missing a cylinder every time. The car was mostly warmed up when I shut it down to go get lunch. It sat for about 20 minutes and that misfire showed up right after I started it back up.  I'm gonna look at it again later this evening, but this is going to be a challenge to find the cause since it appears to be temperature related.

At least the jumping tach and the hesitation at part throttle are gone.

Edited by subynut

Replaced the Ditsy in Wedge. Power is back, tach is back to it's normal self, no more rough idle, and my hesitation in mid-throttle is gone.

All was good till my return from lunch today when the misfire returned! Idling rough, lower power, and exhaust sounds like it's missing a cylinder every time. The car was mostly warmed up when I shut it down to go get lunch. It sat for about 20 minutes and that misfire showed up right after I started it back up.  I'm gonna look at it again later this evening, but this is going to be a challenge to find the cause since it appears to be temperature related.

At least the jumping tach and the hesitation at part throttle are gone.

Partially fouled plug finally completely fouled?

Broken spark plug wire?

Bad ground?

Dirty Injectors?

Tired gerbil in the engine?

Twitch

Changed the plugs, wires disty, and rotor in the Loyale. Dropped the tank, cleaned it out, cleaned out my pump, ran all new fuel lines, installed a see through filter "before" the pump, changed the oil, installed new rear struts, and new front cv axles are on the way.

Partially fouled plug finally completely fouled?

Broken spark plug wire?

Bad ground?

Dirty Injectors?

Tired gerbil in the engine?

Twitch

Bad injector. It started acting stupid again about halfway through my arrands. Took it home and started the spark plug trick but I just flat could not find it. So, I got dangerous! I blocked the wheels, set parking brake real good, put it in drive, and redid the test. Ah ha! Cylinder 5 is the problem! Checked spark: ZAP! Ouch. Got spark! Pulled the injector connector and checked the impedence: nothing. Huh. Checked another injector: There's impedence on that one. Bingo. I swapped it with a spare injector I had and no more misfire! Whoo hoo!  Wedge is going on a road trip! :banana::burnout:  First one in 4 years! :blink:

Replaced distributor cap.  Car was missing badly (every once in a while), idling erratically(every once in a while), and had to crank for up to 10 seconds at start(every once in a while). At its worst when pulling out from a stop the car would either have no power or buck very wildly.   I tried pulling the rotor off but it was stuck on pretty good and I didn't want to mess anything up by pulling harder or using any kind of prying tool.  Is there a set screw or trick of some sort to to remove the distributor rotor?

1990 Loyale

MPFI

Turbo

4EAT

Replaced distributor cap.  Car was missing badly (every once in a while), idling erratically(every once in a while), and had to crank for up to 10 seconds at start(every once in a while). At its worst when pulling out from a stop the car would either have no power or buck very wildly.   I tried pulling the rotor off but it was stuck on pretty good and I didn't want to mess anything up by pulling harder or using any kind of prying tool.  Is there a set screw or trick of some sort to to remove the distributor rotor?

1990 Loyale

MPFI

Turbo

4EAT

Yep, has got a small, Philips head screw opposite side (IIRC) of the rotor tip. Using a stuby helps and use a high quality one. Mine was REALLY in there (original), maybe even loc-tited in and you DO NOT want to strip that screw...

Still have the 50+ shimmy/vibration... Thinking it might have to do with the sloppy inner CV (the cup-to-output stub with the roll pin, not the shaft-to-cup).. MUST fix that.. 

And eying a low mileage EJ20... but since some $)(*#)(% SAT on my hood while parked for a concert in Cleveland, I've now got a slight crease by the driver's headlight.. (Not that the hood was perfect, some dings and stuff, but rust free damnit!) I'm thinking an EJ22 (since I can snag one at the pull-a-part for 150) but with an M62 on top. And that middle part of the hood is in the way.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced axle, ordered new (reman) calipers for the brat today. Couldn't get the brake pistons to turn and with the cost of hardware and pads, a nice set of loaded, fresh calipers is just what the doctor ordered! Hope to be back on the road next weekend. While driving the wifes Grand Cherokee to and from work is nice, the Brat is just more fun....

http--,,--//PB040073.jpg

Edited by jonas

Awesome Photo of the Panda Wagon in Action! ... I Like It!

Went racing:

305707_184289105056701_1537512265_n.jpg

Had a blast and the wagon handles much better with the upgraded springs and shocks. :banana:

Could I Ask more info on your "Upgraded Springs & Shocks" Setup?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1