Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I fixed the Loyale before it started snowing at 11am. Man, I feel ambitious! Ok, it wasn't *that* exciting.

She hadn't been starting occasionally, usually on really cold days (yeah, ran all winter but a cold day in April? Fuggetaboutit). Or racing, having a  hard time controlling the idle. Starting, then no throttle response, and cut out/die. Etc.

Finally had a day off when it wasn't snowing/raining, so I poked around under the hood. Hmm. Hose off the PCV valve has three big cracks! That might do it. Grab the valve and hose, walk down to the parts store. Cue spending a lot of time explaining that no, the radiator hose with a similar shape won't fit on the PCV valve. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, I just need a hose to connect to this PCV valve and run about 14 inches over to where it joins the rest of the vacuum control lines"

Desk: "What year, make, and model?"

Me: "1991 Subaru Loyale, but I doubt it will be listed, I have parts from several models and years on this car, I just need a length of hose off the spool".

Desk: "Well, this one looks like it, there is even a flair at the end, same as this one, see?"

Me: "No, that's a radiator hose, it says in the description. That won't work. It lists the inside diameter as over an inch, this might be...half-inch inside diameter? Well, grab it and we'll check it out, I have the valve here in my pocket."

Desk: "Oh, I have to get it from the warehouse, it will be here by 1pm (it was now about 10:30am). Name and number where I can reach you?"

Me: "Check for PCV hose, I'm pretty sure the radiator hose is the wrong one and we don't need to waste four hours and two trips to the warehouse to get the hose"

...Computer shows no hoses, whatsoever, for the PCV...at all.

Desk: "Let me request the one the computer is showing, it'll be here in a couple hours".

Me: "No, just measure this hose (hand over old hose) and we'll see how it compares to the listed size for the one you found in the computer."

Desk: (*Walks around for a minute looking for a measurer thing, none is found*)

Me: "Can I use the tape measure on the display over there? (point to next register...go over and measure...it's 5/8 inch inside diameter)

Desk: "Oh, huh, it looks just like the one in the picture though!"

...(a couple more minutes of this sort of thing, with a request to look for a spool of hose that will fit the valve)...

Desk: "Hey [shift manager] I can't find any hose like this in the computer...(goes through the whole thing again with the shift)."

Manager: "Oh, no problem, just grab him some hose off the spool in the back."

Desk: "What size?"

Me: (silently, to myself): "sigh"

Manager: "Well, take that valve he has in his hand and try them all until you find it".

I did finally get the hose, run home. Get the valve and hose in place. I'd already wiped off/out the PCV, don't worry. Get it all together and running, success! Drive two blocks to get gas, and it started snowing!

Now it is snowing and 15-20mph winds. Looks like I finished just in time :). Best part is it has snowed or rained EVERY day off for the last month. And been sunny all week long. Just glad this finally is over, though the weather nearly finished me off yet again.

Edit, had too many emoticons. :P

Edited by man on the moon

Awesome Photo of the Panda Wagon in Action! ... I Like It!

Could I Ask more info on your "Upgraded Springs & Shocks" Setup?

Kind Regards.

Thanks Jeszek!

I replaced the stock rear setup with 250 lbs/in Ground Control coil-overs for a 1st gen Impreza and Koni Yellow shocks for a 08+ WRX. It did take some drilling and filing to get it to fit, but it works well. I have very minor rubbing on the springs with the Enkei wheels and 205 tires, but no rubbing at all with the Legacy 14" wheels and 195s. Here's a few more pics of my swap: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44982071@N04/sets/72157633305522610/

• Like 1

Since trading for out '82 BRAT, we've changed front axles, air filter, and adjusted the clutch. It still needs a few small things mechanically, but runs, and drives great.

Subafreak, how hard was it to fit the XT6 seats? I have a pair kicking around, id like to put in ours

Since trading for out '82 BRAT, we've changed front axles, air filter, and adjusted the clutch. It still needs a few small things mechanically, but runs, and drives great.

Subafreak, how hard was it to fit the XT6 seats? I have a pair kicking around, id like to put in ours

85ish BRAT

Sawapped in some XT6 seats.

CBAEFF8C-EC8D-43FA-A71A-8005226B8A08-153

CFB4FE42-ED53-431B-AD60-9EBF53CCCAF5-153

Wired in a 10" sub to the stock radio for some boom boom.

81AD9EAE-8CEA-4451-A68D-06D4F205F372-153

And started my XT6 bumper swap.

A25ADB32-A1E4-4BBA-A99F-B15C64EE453F-153

All and all it's a daily driver train wreack rite now. Lol.

from the looks of that remote, you also have a toshiba big screen in there somewhere?

• Like 1

I fixed the Loyale before it started snowing at 11am. Man, I feel ambitious! Ok, it wasn't *that* exciting.

She hadn't been starting occasionally, usually on really cold days (yeah, ran all winter but a cold day in April? Fuggetaboutit). Or racing, having a  hard time controlling the idle. Starting, then no throttle response, and cut out/die. Etc.

Finally had a day off when it wasn't snowing/raining, so I poked around under the hood. Hmm. Hose off the PCV valve has three big cracks! That might do it. Grab the valve and hose, walk down to the parts store. Cue spending a lot of time explaining that no, the radiator hose with a similar shape won't fit on the PCV valve. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, I just need a hose to connect to this PCV valve and run about 14 inches over to where it joins the rest of the vacuum control lines"

Desk: "What year, make, and model?"

Me: "1991 Subaru Loyale, but I doubt it will be listed, I have parts from several models and years on this car, I just need a length of hose off the spool".

Desk: "Well, this one looks like it, there is even a flair at the end, same as this one, see?"

Me: "No, that's a radiator hose, it says in the description. That won't work. It lists the inside diameter as over an inch, this might be...half-inch inside diameter? Well, grab it and we'll check it out, I have the valve here in my pocket."

Desk: "Oh, I have to get it from the warehouse, it will be here by 1pm (it was now about 10:30am). Name and number where I can reach you?"

Me: "Check for PCV hose, I'm pretty sure the radiator hose is the wrong one and we don't need to waste four hours and two trips to the warehouse to get the hose"

...Computer shows no hoses, whatsoever, for the PCV...at all.

Desk: "Let me request the one the computer is showing, it'll be here in a couple hours".

Me: "No, just measure this hose (hand over old hose) and we'll see how it compares to the listed size for the one you found in the computer."

Desk: (*Walks around for a minute looking for a measurer thing, none is found*)

Me: "Can I use the tape measure on the display over there? (point to next register...go over and measure...it's 5/8 inch inside diameter)

Desk: "Oh, huh, it looks just like the one in the picture though!"

...(a couple more minutes of this sort of thing, with a request to look for a spool of hose that will fit the valve)...

Desk: "Hey [shift manager] I can't find any hose like this in the computer...(goes through the whole thing again with the shift)."

Manager: "Oh, no problem, just grab him some hose off the spool in the back."

Desk: "What size?"

Me: (silently, to myself): "sigh"

Manager: "Well, take that valve he has in his hand and try them all until you find it".

I did finally get the hose, run home. Get the valve and hose in place. I'd already wiped off/out the PCV, don't worry. Get it all together and running, success! Drive two blocks to get gas, and it started snowing!

Now it is snowing and 15-20mph winds. Looks like I finished just in time :). Best part is it has snowed or rained EVERY day off for the last month. And been sunny all week long. Just glad this finally is over, though the weather nearly finished me off yet again.

Edit, had too many emoticons. :P

why is it these places hire people who read about working on cars in magazines but don't seem to have a hint of applied knowledge? I have applied at many auto parts stores and was only called back by one but I had a better option at time time.

from the looks of that remote, you also have a toshiba big screen in there somewhere?

Rofl! Not exactly, I gave a friend my old tv and keep forgetting to give him the remote.

Crazyhorse: The XT6 seats are a PITA to put in. The mounts are all different and required cutting and welding. I suspect older XT seats might fit better.......but then again I thought the XT6 seats would bolt in, boy was I wrong! Lol.

Replaced axle, ordered new (reman) calipers for the brat today. Couldn't get the brake pistons to turn and with the cost of hardware and pads, a nice set of loaded, fresh calipers is just what the doctor ordered! Hope to be back on the road next weekend. While driving the wifes Grand Cherokee to and from work is nice, the Brat is just more fun....

http--,,--//PB040073.jpg

DAMMIT! New calipers didn't fit. My fault, I should have looked closer at the picture. Got the right ones (I hope) ordered so here's looking at next weekend. Man, all this shipping is killing me.

I tried an easy out on the bolt I broke in my thermostat housing, and I broke it. So I bought an intake manifold from the jy and went to remove my intake manifold and broke 2 more bolts off into the heads.

Personally I think easy outs are kinda weak, and never work.  Get a good LH drill bit in a little bit smaller size than the bolt you are trying to remove.  Chuck it up in a cordless drill and drill into the broken off bolt, applying as much pressure as possible to the drill.  Has never failed to work for me, though it may drill through most of it then back the rest of the bolt out.  Make sure the drill bit is small enough that it won't damage the threads.

I tried an easy out on the bolt I broke in my thermostat housing, and I broke it. So I bought an intake manifold from the jy and went to remove my intake manifold and broke 2 more bolts off into the heads.

USE ANTI SEIZE!!!!!!! it pays off! ON EVERYTHING POSSIBLE!

I even used to anti seize my steel rims to the outside of the rotor

Installed an SOA (dealer add-on) cruise control to my 91 FWD/5MT Loayle! All the plugs were there (minus the NSS plug, but found a different plug?), all the holes for the vacuum diaphragm by the accel pedal, the extra hole for the second brake switch, the holes on the driver strut tower for the vac storage tank/actuator motor bracket where there, the power tap by the fuse box and everything. The entire system came from a 91 Loyale FWD/3AT.

Looks like factory and works like one too. Proof, non-equipped cars DO have the provisions for dealer cruise control.

Also, while my 91 did NOT have the proper horn/CC steering wheel switch hub (rotates with the steering wheel so the wires don't cross, ect) the 94 (build date of 7/93) loyale wagon donor, which DID NOT have cruise control installed, DID have the cruise control hub installed already and functioning (for the horn). Maybe Subaru just was trying to get rid of old stock?

Anyway, SUCCESS!!!

Now back to PAP tomorrow for this 94 wagon's rear subframe, driveshaft and SR4WD gearbox (with 94K miles!) so I'll have 4WD and be ready to go when the EJ trans finds its way in.. :D

Dang Suba, that console looks sweet! I wanna put one in my Brat. Doesn't look like it was too much trouble to install. Would that fit on a manual?

It fit pretty easily. I don't have all the supports screwed down yet but that's just a few holes to drill. Idk how well the manual will fit, plus you would have the 4wd lever to deal with. I plan on using the xt6 shifter to when I convert it to a 5 speed.

I forgot about the 4x4 lever. Already been converted to 5 speed so the 4x4 lever is a little different than stock. could possibly work with a little cutting. good idea on the shifter. looks like some measuring/eyeballing is in order. Actually found one for sale here so we'll see....