Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

Replaced egr solenoid with one I ripped from an old ford tempo. No more check engine light yay! Better throttle response in town too.

Just drove 240 mostly at 75 (4250rpms) occasionally at 80-85 and hit 95 once or twice. Had that ea82 screaming for quite awhile and she took it in stride.

On my way home, yesterday, I noticed the backlight to the trip meter was extra bright. I checked the dash, and..... wait, what's the voltmeter doing up there?!? It was pegged! Uhhhh....that's not good. I pull off the road and the voltmeter dropped back down to around 12V. I mess with the throttle and the voltmeter follows the tach. Wonderful! I lost the voltage regulator. I popped the hood and checked the alternator, YIPE! that thing is hot! So, I decided to take the risk of driving it home, kicked on all the accessories I could kick on, and kept the RPMs low. A trick with an auto, by the way. Voltmeter stayed close to where it was supposed to be all the way home. Even after letting it sit with the hood up for an hour and a half, it still was boiling hot and smelled like burned candy. I swapped it with a used spare I had and things appear to be back to normal.

Daily driving Wedge is bringing out all the old Subaru quirks. :wacko:

• Like 3

Went to the local muffler shop to quiet down the cracked exhaust as the cat.  They did a great job and only charged $45!  Still pretty throaty with the cherry bomb, but the backfiring needs to stop.  i think I will be unloading this in the next week or so.  Love the project, but don't have the tolerance for a 26 year old car. Not the cars fault.  Its been a fun 48 hrs.  

Went to the local muffler shop to quiet down the cracked exhaust as the cat.  They did a great job and only charged $45!  Still pretty throaty with the cherry bomb, but the backfiring needs to stop.  i think I will be unloading this in the next week or so.  Love the project, but don't have the tolerance for a 26 year old car. Not the cars fault.  Its been a fun 48 hrs.  

Post it for sale in here before you toss it to the resst of the world, please.

We'd love to keep it in the family :) Or at least tell the new owner about this place :P

Twitch

Yes, I will give the members first chance with it.  Found the cause of the backfire, the intake gasket is leaking, revved up when I sprayed carb cleaner in the area, you could see it being drawn into the gasket area.

I think now, I will rebuild the carb while I have it off, we have emissions here otherwise I would do the weber conversion.  Sounds like a fun way to spend part of a day

Intake leak fixed! I removed the carb this morning, and decided to tear it apart and have a peek, I ended up using most of the parts in the rebuilt kit, and watched a super detailed You tube video, I don't remember the user, but I typed in Subaru Carb, and it really helped a lot.  Got it back and running after replacing some rock hard vacuum lines.  Hooked up the vacuum gauge and its nice and steady, just have some small adjustments to do in the morning, but the backfiring seems to be gone. No more leaks when I spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb.

I wont know until I actually drive it and make the two to three shift.  But not going to that until the morning, also going to replace the leaky crank seal, tired of drips in the driveway.  I told my wife that if I do much more to the Brat, that it may end up being a keeper.

Started getting my winter legacy ready for this winter, and an upcoming road trip.

rebuilt the starter 

Installed all new idlers

cog

timing belt

water pump

cam and crank seals

replaced broken timing covers

air filter 

fuel filter 

new sections of fuel line

changed the gear oil

fixed the passenger seatbelt 

buffed the paint 

fluid filmed some of the underside for rust protection 

I think that's everything for now. I need to touch up some rust on the tailgate and it should be all set for a while to come. 

Started getting my winter legacy ready for this winter, and an upcoming road trip.

rebuilt the starter 

Installed all new idlers

cog

timing belt

water pump

cam and crank seals

replaced broken timing covers

air filter 

fuel filter 

new sections of fuel line

changed the gear oil

fixed the passenger seatbelt 

buffed the paint 

fluid filmed some of the underside for rust protection 

I think that's everything for now. I need to touch up some rust on the tailgate and it should be all set for a while to come. 

The starter in my 06 WRX drags in cold weather. I'm hoping it'll be tolerable this winter but...

Are there lube points on the inside and what kind of lube would I use? Could I use permatex ceramic brake grease? (I have  lifetime supply lol!)

Since the PandaWagon is gonna be down for a while, I decided to swap wheels and tires between the Wagon and Wedge. Two reasons: 1) the all seasons on Wedge are awful in every which way. and 2) they're taller than stock and it's killing my mileage.

1383526_205859922919734_123150365_n.jpg

Reminds me of Twitch's XT.

I'll get some better pics tonight. I can't make up my mind if I like them on Wedge. They look awesome on the Wagon, but Wedge...I dunno. I do want to go to a 15" wheel though. Around town driving is much much better with the shorter tires. Interesting though, the ride is much better with these than those 16s and the all seasons even though the sidewall height is the same between the two. Maybe those all seasons are just that bad.

• Like 3

Finally gave the 88' GL Wagon a real tune up for the first time since I bought it in June:

New Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Air Filter

Put some seafoam in the gas tank

Cleaned the interior

The car is running much better now, less vibration from the engine and a bit more power, especially on the low end.

My list for this weekend:

New 195 degree thermostat

Backflush coolant

Change Brake fluid and front brake pads

Test all the winterization gear to make sure it works (Freeze Plug block heater, battery pad heater, oil pan heater)

Once all that's done this thing just might be ready for another long, brutal interior Alaska winter!

The starter in my 06 WRX drags in cold weather. I'm hoping it'll be tolerable this winter but...

Are there lube points on the inside and what kind of lube would I use? Could I use permatex ceramic brake grease? (I have  lifetime supply lol!)

I just replaced the contacts as mine were very worn, I didn't really have to dig into it more than that. I was getting the typical clicking while trying to start it. I suppose you could grease the ends of the armature and make sure the plunger is moving freely. Other than that I wouldn't really grease anything. I cleaned all connections for it as well which i'm sure helped, gotta love the salted VT roads. 

Old contacts 

1_zps10748a7c.jpg

Contact kit. 
2_zps05c2462f.jpg

New ones installed 
3_zps8d1c0ecf.jpg

Since the PandaWagon is gonna be down for a while, I decided to swap wheels and tires between the Wagon and Wedge. Two reasons: 1) the all seasons on Wedge are awful in every which way. and 2) they're taller than stock and it's killing my mileage.

1383526_205859922919734_123150365_n.jpg

Reminds me of Twitch's XT.

I'll get some better pics tonight. I can't make up my mind if I like them on Wedge. They look awesome on the Wagon, but Wedge...I dunno. I do want to go to a 15" wheel though. Around town driving is much much better with the shorter tires. Interesting though, the ride is much better with these than those 16s and the all seasons even though the sidewall height is the same between the two. Maybe those all seasons are just that bad.

I thought that looked familiar ;)

Stickers are just in the wrong place.

Looks good, if I do say so myself :P

I just got done backflushing my cooling system again since the blue devil decided to combine with the old stopleak that was leftover in the system since my more recent flush. Love to find gelatin in the radiator. No wonder my thermostat has been hating me. Also tying to figure out if the blue devil was gelatinizing the coolant, because the goo was also green on top of being yellow/vomit. Now I have to buy more coolant. Yay. And brakes. And a new CTS. Damn stuttering ignition.

Does anyone have a thermostat housing? Mine is leaking right around the front-most bolt, and as neat as it is to see white and yellow bubbling on my housing, its not all that reassuring of reliability :P

Twitch

After struggling with the Brat, I had a pretty productive 24 hours.  Changed out a very bad ball joint last night.  Then this morning picked up an instrument panel at the junkyard to remedy the non working speedometer. It actually works now and the oil pressure is reading again, not bad for $25. I will get that seal that goes into the transmission once I find one.  Also pulled a carb off a 84 gl wagon because the carb that was on the Brat was total junk. Spent 6 bucks on brake and carb cleaner, cleaned up the carb and to my amazement, it fired right up, took a 2k fast idle, and has a nice and steady 800 rpms idle.  No backfiring and so much more power, $30 well spent.  Also took the Brat off the online local ads because I think I will be keeping this for awhile.  Super good day for the Brat!  Doing the rear brake shoes tomorrow, and maybe the crank seal if I don't run out of time.  Then going to get the half rump roast exhaust welded up right.  Once that is done Ill take it for emissions and inspection, and I think it will now pass with the "new" carb.  This may be my daily runner up the canyon if all goes well, my VDC is so much nicer but far less fun for sure.

I just replaced the contacts as mine were very worn, I didn't really have to dig into it more than that. I was getting the typical clicking while trying to start it. I suppose you could grease the ends of the armature and make sure the plunger is moving freely. Other than that I wouldn't really grease anything. I cleaned all connections for it as well which i'm sure helped, gotta love the salted VT roads. 

Old contacts 

1_zps10748a7c.jpg

Contact kit. 
2_zps05c2462f.jpg

New ones installed 
3_zps8d1c0ecf.jpg

After a coupla responses, it seems there isn't much mechanical that could suffer from lack of lube so, my question now is, could worn contacts cause some 'dragging' of the starter just in cold weather?

My 06 WRX is low miles and probably averages only 22 starts a week. maybe less. many weeks it is driven to-from work only 5 days with no weekend use.

The winter will cause the battery to develop less crank amps than warmer temperature, combined with the fact a cold motor is harder to turn than a warm one, it's just the nature of the temperature beast. I thought the same thing in my Loyale over the winter last year (saw some less than zero ambient temps) and it did NOT sound happy. But over the summer, couldn't sound stronger. That was even on a new battery in the winter.

TL;DR Only the starter bearings/bushings need a slight coat of grease, could lube the solenoid armature if you wanted, but probably won't help.

Also called around for a rio red fender, as the NW seems to be most probable. Everyone wants to ship it freight. $175 total for a $50 fender.  <_< Understandable since it'll survive the journey better, but still.

Also picked up replacement pin striping, and since the wheels are almost done, probably change the dual silver stripe to a dual gold one.

And ordered new window molding chrome for the front and rear windows!  :banana:

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

Finally getting close to taking it to get the inspection/emission test here in SLC.  Had the glass guy drop by to replace the cracked windshield, but the gasket was petrified so he had to order one.  He said he would be back tomorrow to but the new windshield in.  Then I'll drive it hard for awhile to get the cat warm and see what she does at the station.  If it passes, I move on to rust work, welding in new metal, and get the body ready for a home garage paint job with a HVLP paint gun.  I think I will keep close to the factory blue, but still not sure. Not going to let Maaco ruin the vibe of the Brat.