Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

That's a bunch of things, well done!

About the Catalytic converter... I removed both on my EA82 wagon more than twenty years ago, and welded there straight 2" pipes, the thing has been working awesome since then, it improves the exhaust flow and decreases the workin' temp a little, while adds a louder tone; but I don't need to pass emission tests here.

So I bet that welding a straight pipe there, is the way to go; 'till you can obtain another catalytic converter; maybe a junk yard one in good shape will be enough.

Kind Regards.

That's a bunch of things, well done!

About the Catalytic converter... I removed both on my EA82 wagon more than twenty years ago, and welded there straight 2" pipes, the thing has been working awesome since then, it improves the exhaust flow and decreases the workin' temp a little, while adds a louder tone; but I don't need to pass emission tests here.

So I bet that welding a straight pipe there, is the way to go; 'till you can obtain another catalytic converter; maybe a junk yard one in good shape will be enough.

Kind Regards.

I also cut mine out and ran a straight pipe in it's place. Sounds fantastic and I STILL passed my emissions with flying colors. However, they only look for 1 converter and sniff the tailpipe on the dyno. Still 600 ppm under the limit. I do have an SPFI EA82 though... YRMV.

Finally warm enough  to deal with the super leaky oil pan.  Lots of sludge at the bottom, not surprised by how the PO treated this car.  Took almost an hour to get the old cork gasket off, finally burned to off with my trusty little torch.  Had a bolt that had broken off and managed to get that out.  The cork gasket I ordered off of Amazon doesn't line up very well, so I think I will buy some ultra grey and try that. Still need to locate one bolt for the pan.  No wonder why it leaked so much, probably hasn't been changed in 15 years, the gasket looked just like the valve covers that I replaced a few months ago.

Edited by mcmillonbe

today i wired in some PIAA 400hz and 600hx horns that i got of the list for 20 buck and i also wired some PIAA 1400x lights for reverse lights . i mounted them on either side of the licenses plate and ran the wires threw a hole i drilled in the top of the licenses plate light . they came out great and are extremely bright . they are a great combo with my CREE l.e.d lights that i have in thee stock reverse light spots. i also got those PIAA lights brand new off the list for 50 bucks.I will probably post pic's here or on my build page under my 92 loyale build

I'm new to this message board, but super glad to be here!  Also, super glad there's a spot for the "older" Subaru's!  I have most recently removed the EA82T motor and trans from my 87 GL-10 wagon.  "Why" you ask?  Because, if you must know, I'm prepping it for an EJ20G and trans. I acquired these items from http://jdmorlandoinc.com/.  

Will post pics as i take them for all those interested!  

• Like 1

I dont know if id mentioned that I put some 205x75-14 Hankook Ipikes on my 84....so here's me mentioning it! Love those things!

And today was a gorgeous day, so i finally got around to replacing the right rear wheel bearing that has been making a racket for a while. Wasnt too tough...

So then wrapping it up, i decided to take some poseur driveway shotspost-25891-0-66434900-1390173993_thumb.jpgpost-25891-0-25668700-1390174020_thumb.jpg

Been awhile since Ive posted much done to Ned... Hes just been racking up the miles getting me from Point A to Point B.

Now sitting at just over 197K (getting close to the 200 mark! -- at least on the odometer) 

I love working Saturdays at my job... I get to pull Ned into the warm garage... Start with this:

20140118_090317_zps93a1cea5.jpeg

and after my arm hurts like hell (one polish buff and then one wax buff) I get this:

20140118_125253_zpsbbf8e8c1.jpeg

Could finally see myself in the paint... and it was quite soft. Im gonna order a clay bar kit, and a better orbital because the one we were gonna use just wasnt gonna do what we needed it to (works great on new paint, but needing to take 28 years out of the paint wasnt in its job description)

Been doing a little bit of work on my 7th Subaru (if you count parts cars, otherwise shes number 6)

Shes got some cool upgrades.... but needs more supporting mods.

319whp and 362 wtq with a Cold Air Intake, Blouch 2.5 dominator turbo (ball bearing), Turboxs intercooler, tein coilovers, xxr530 18X8.75, invidia catless downpipe, invidia N1 exhaust. I need to get the timing belt water pump done, ID1000 injectors, Perrin EBCS, DW300 fuel pump, catless uppipe and a mishimoto radiator in there soon.. my hope is for 365whp and 400wtq. But we will see. Visually I want a carbon fibre trunk with lip, rear diffuser, seibon cf hood (with bigger scoop) and possibly the roof wrapped.

20131228_164923_zpse99e1f2c.jpeg

20140109_231158_zps7d0ecfb6.jpeg

20140103_184550_zps77ea16f8.jpeg

Ned will not be ignored though. After taxes Im putting an EJ22 in him... Might have to wait actually until Im daily driving the Rex (she is unnamed thus far) so Ned can be put under the knife for awhile without making work difficult

• Like 2

I dont know if id mentioned that I put some 205x75-14 Hankook Ipikes on my 84....so here's me mentioning it! Love those things!

And today was a gorgeous day, so i finally got around to replacing the right rear wheel bearing that has been making a racket for a while. Wasnt too tough...

So then wrapping it up, i decided to take some poseur driveway shotsattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ahh nice shots, so that's why your front passenger fender is buckled in! :P

Ahh nice shots, so that's why your front passenger fender is buckled in! :P

Theyve both been mangled and hammered back. Actually, the whole car is bent...had a "fell asleep at 50mph dukes of hazzard moment" a few years back. Hit a ditch, launched off of a driveway culvert...airborn for 28 feet!

Still handles fine, so whatever.

post-25891-0-27456400-1390400276_thumb.jpg

post-25891-0-55927200-1390400290_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Theyve both been mangled and hammered back. Actually, the whole car is bent...had a "fell asleep at 50mph dukes of hazzard moment" a few years back. Hit a ditch, launched off of a driveway culvert...airborn for 28 feet!

:o ! That's impressive!

YIKES :eek:

I didn't realize, sorry man. Atleast with our Soobs we can just drag it back into to the garage and make em rise again lol

A friend of mine a few years ago did the same, fell asleep on a cold morning on the way to Uni. Rear ended somebody in his TT

It must have cost half the cars value to repair.

...going off topic a bit, that combined with the usual Audi headaches (electrical repairs and something else), he came so close to "totaling" his car in repairs.

It added up to like $13k

I'll stick with my Beataru haha!!

just got 4 brand new KYB shocks for the 82 GL wagon. Is there anything els i should look for? any easy upgrades while im doing the shocks? The front shocks were pretty much completely blown so just the new ones alone are going to improve the ride a lot more. Thanks!

My first real attempt at bodywork, making a smooth hood.

Took about 5 days keeping the garage/materials workable w/small salamander, (cough). Painted roof rails, too.

Strut rod bushings, + a washer each side, a bit of pounding on the front flaps & fenders got the little bit of clearance I needed.

Tweaked the alignment -running good and straight now.

Weber swap went awesome -except the JBweld did not want to set up on the cold intake. Using the Transdapt -looks great! Someday warm I'll get the edges all smoothed out. Fortunately had a 'Y" fuel fitting from an old carb. Found the perfect little linkage piece in my scrap pile, too! 

:banana:

a81d10eb-1db9-403f-b615-985dee71e1ef.jpg

Went for a test drive and immediately a guy in an older legacy wagon pulled up -said he'd never seen a 4wd before! So I tried to run him and ended up dumping it from 2nd into 5th :o kept up! -But it's been a Long time since I've gotten a ticket, so I backed off...

• Like 1

...Weber swap went awesome -except the JBweld did not want to set up on the cold intake. Using the Transdapt -looks great! Someday warm I'll get the edges all smoothed out. Fortunately had a 'Y" fuel fitting from an old carb. Found the perfect little linkage piece in my scrap pile, too! ...

I'm Glad to Know that your Weber Swap went Good!

Did you changed the main Jettings?

Kind Regards.

Converted my rear brakes to disc this weekend.

Seems like nothing ever goes like it should.

Not enough hardware, should have checked that before I started the task :banghead: then I didn't blow the crap out of the first caliper before I tried to pull fluid through :banghead:, for me I guess this is what happens when being a shade tree mechanic...

I'm Glad to Know that your Weber Swap went Good!

Did you changed the main Jettings?

Kind Regards.

Didn't change -Mains are 140, Primary idle .060, secondary idle .050,  Air corrector primary 170, secondary idle 160 -seems pretty good. 

Jeszek -I read where you made the a/c idle control work, but the angle is not happening. Got a pic of that?  Is this worth messing with or should I get rid of it?