Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

What have I done to my Subie, lately? ...

Have you felt the Seat on your Subie, like Drivin' on a Rocking Chair?

One of the four Seat Supports is Weak and tend to break on the EA82.

to permanently get rid from that, I made a metallic reinforcement:

Welding.gif

The complete details and photos are Here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143836-driving-on-a-rocking-chair-fix-those-broken-seat-supports/

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Been making some 8 spokes look pretty over the past week, sandblasted, primer, then a few coats of colour matched paint, set off with some center caps with new made subaru logo stickers (old metal ones were pretty shot) and a set of beauty rings to finish them up.

Note: Pics are pretty large

http://puu.sh/6Imlx

http://puu.sh/6Impm

http://puu.sh/6Imry

http://puu.sh/6Imto

http://puu.sh/6ImuG

http://puu.sh/6ImvZ
http://puu.sh/6Imx0

http://puu.sh/6Imzu

Might get one of them all on the car, too dark outside now for it

Last one of my steering wheel with subaru sticker middle, doesn't look the best but its alright.

http://puu.sh/6Imxs

Edit for the day pic.

6Jgsy.jpg

Edited by Tom0
  • Like 5

Simple oil and filter change on an 08 Impreza OBS.  I have started using Fram Ultra XG6607 filters for the past few changes on the OBS, and have had no issues.  Also went up to the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 from Platinum 5W-30 this time.  Additionally, due to a burning rubber smell during long distance drives (e.g. stopping after 300 miles to fill gas etc.), I checked under the hood, found everything OK visually.  I was concerned about the TB and popped the LF quarter TB cover to inspect.  The belt looked visually clean, absolutely dry, and in excellent shape.  Started the engine, stopped it and looked at another area, same.  Will try and chase it down.  Could be the AC stretch belt; replaced with a Gates at ~50K miles.  Car has ~64K miles now.

Is it possible to replaced the AC stretch belt system to an adjustable one?  I will check to see if a tensioner from another year can be fit on an 08 OBS.

Waiting for a weather window to go to paint, doing misc. prep...Got a nice cheap basket for the spare & installed some old school yellow KC fogs I had. Custom brush guard in the works...Meanwhile, the intake gasket has started to leak, the oil pan gasket is self destructing,& the steering rack bushing won't stay put. Still trying to figure out if I can make cruise control work. 

If anyone has a source for the good intake gaskets (metallic?), please help me out. 

Waiting for a weather window to go to paint, doing misc. prep...Got a nice cheap basket for the spare & installed some old school yellow KC fogs I had. Custom brush guard in the works...Meanwhile, the intake gasket has started to leak, the oil pan gasket is self destructing,& the steering rack bushing won't stay put. Still trying to figure out if I can make cruise control work.

If anyone has a source for the good intake gaskets (metallic?), please help me out.

You might try Napa and ask about their "Altrom" line. It's a parts line that consists of OEM manufacturer and manufacturer specific parts. Also, if you know of anyone that has a worldpac account or access, you might be able to find heavier grade intake gaskets through them.

And if all else fails, call Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn WA and order the OEM's :)

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
  • Like 1

Timing belts vs chains have nothing to do with power output. No power flows through the belt, it just turns the cams. As Loyale 2.7 Turbo said, the new FB motors use chains as do the EZ30/36 engines.

Really... get yur head out of the gutter and don't assume I'm stupid... I merly stated that my v8 lt1 has a twin timing chain that can withstand up to x horspower... not that it creats hp!!!... I can't help but laugh.

I was just saying that maybe an aftermarket steel timing chain as replacement for the weak rubber belt... maybe its a way to get rid of the issue or make it last longer.. all I was doing was brain storming and hoping to get some real imput on the thought.

Thank you so much

marcus

Kind reguards to 2.7 loyale as well

• Like 1

... an aftermarket steel timing chain as replacement for the weak rubber belt...

If you could make a Timing Chain or Timing Gear system that could be installed instead the crappy dual timing belts setup on the EA82 engines, I will be the very first Happy Costumer to buy such "Conversion Kit" ... "a Dream come true" ... like this:

GearsinsteadBelts.jpg

Years ago, I was "Dreaming Awake" planning on building an Outer Gear Set mounted on ball bearings to drive the Timing in the EA82's, like the picture above, in order to replace the Timing Belts and get rid of them ... but I concluded that it will be extremely expensive to make test, trial & error sets before I could make something to work, it is easier to do the Famous EJ Swap... or Live happy with the Long Lasting, underpowered EA82...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

For Ned: I ordered some permatorque headgaskets, I have OEM ones but I dont want to deal with the retorque since Im so busy at work and driving him quite a bit... gonna get the other EA82 block hottanked because some pine needles got into the motor and I dont see any other way to get them out... plus clean and shiny parts #becauseracecar (I hate hashtags but I had to) also I put some stickers on him honoring/in memory of a friend of mine that died in a car accident.... and since he was clean I snapped a picture of him at work with my friends soobs (to the tune of "the three best friends" from the hangover... we sing it every now and then at work to annoy my boss.

20140108_161829_zps0a53020d.jpeg

20140130_164448_zps5b230008.jpeg

20140122_161154_zps3c93158c.jpeg

For the WRX (who has no name yet)

I ordered a Mishimoto XLine radiator (3 core) and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Also ordered Samco silicone radiator hoses to go with it. Set up my appointment for the timing belt/water pump/seals job since its long over-due. Just gonna start saving for the transmission now as Im at 319awhp and 362wtq on 13.5 psi... my friend thinks we should get new injectors and fuel pump and go up to 16-18psi but... I dont trust the transmission :( getting rear camber plates for the coils... I need to get new wheels and tires... I heard I can squeeze 18X10 Work XD9s there with +18 offset and -2.0 degrees of camber which shouldnt kill my tires... we will see how this goes... I love the stance... not STANCED like the other kids do... but the look of the vehicles stance. 

• Like 1

You might try Napa and ask about their "Altrom" line. It's a parts line that consists of OEM manufacturer and manufacturer specific parts. Also, if you know of anyone that has a worldpac account or access, you might be able to find heavier grade intake gaskets through them.

And if all else fails, call Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn WA and order the OEM's :)

Twitch

I was hopeful, but the Altroms came in and they weren't anything special, in fact they sent me two different gaskets with the same part #. One is the gray stuff and one is beige about the same thickness, but no metal. I have to cut a big unnecessary tab out of the middle of the intake hole -sloppy parts manufacturing   :angry: I could have cut them myself.  If anyone can confirm what Mike Scarff is getting, I will try that. Don't want to keep doing this job.

Edited by rrgrr

Bought a 1988 Subaru GL Wagon last Friday. Cleaned the interior fairly well, painted the wiper arms trim black and replaced the blades, sticker bombed the fuel door, grille, and black portion above the rear license plate. Plastidipping the roof a white and black checkerboard, and a bunch of other small things. Really enjoying it! Surprised a bunch of people with it's 4wd in the snow.

Bought a 1988 Subaru GL Wagon last Friday. Cleaned the interior fairly well, painted the wiper arms trim black and replaced the blades, sticker bombed the fuel door, grille, and black portion above the rear license plate. Plastidipping the roof a white and black checkerboard, and a bunch of other small things. Really enjoying it! Surprised a bunch of people with it's 4wd in the snow.

20140214_155902_zps4ac20613.jpgere's another pic, the bolts that hold this section of the hitch on only came with some bigger flat washers so I decided to use a 1/4" thick plate of steel and grade 8 bolts to sandwich it together. Granted if those grade 8s ever happen to fail I probably shouldn't be towing something that big anyways.

Just get a generic trailer adapter and wire it into the tail light harness. It's not really too complicated. The one I got was kinda crappy and it uses power from the light harness to run the trailer lights which causes the BRAKE light on the dash to come on when you hit the brakes. Other than that, it works fine.

On a subaru I used to have, I made a trailer light controller with 4 or 5 relays. Essentially made an AND gate and an XOR gate, so there's that option, too.

Now that I think of it, the wagon may have a place to plug in a trailer wiring harness. My sedan didn't, which is why I had to tap into the wiring harness.

Edited by 987687

Sweet, im sure its not going to be too big of a deal. My wife said we couldn't buy a pickup so immediately I said fine im doing a hitch on my car and buying a small utility trailer...boom. I like driving my car anyways and it gives me a good excuse to "run and get stuff for the house" haha