Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I hear you about this stuff. I've got a range of vehicles available to choose from at work. Because I need to tow other cars around with it, I've got to get the biggest one (at the biggest lease rate) a turbo diesel Hyundai Santa Fe. Pretty good vehicle but too big for what I need.

I'd prefer the Skoda Octavia wagon. Can still pull 1500kg, but because of the CanBus system, the wiring for the trailer plug is over $1000 :o  The towbar itself is only $600 fitted :P

Just more stuff to go wrong in cars these days. My missus wants a new car, and I've told her that I'm not buying anything less than 10 years old, otherwise I can't fix the damn thing myself if need be.

• Like 2

FINALLY got around to working on assembling/cleaning the rear suspension for the 4WD swap (from an 88 wagon).

Got the crossmember coated with OSPHO (LOVE that stuff) and the trailing arms. Got the backing plates banged mostly straight, caliper rebuilt (found the awesome Raybestos kits on eBay with the seals, boots and bleeder cap) and the GL-10 wagon DOES have the 34mm pistons. Cleaned and greased the slides and new Centric rotor, Bendix ceramics.

Monday I had ordered an instrument cluster for the Dodge that was scheduled to arrive today. I also got an email yesterday that my cam covers were done and ready for pick up in Mukilteo. The Subaru dealer (Peninsula Subaru) also said the head bolts were in.  I also ordered the Exedy clutch kit for my Subaru that should have also come today.

So i puttered about on the internet all morning hoping the UPS guy would arrive with my instrument cluster for my Dodge Ram 1500. I didn't want to be on I-5 with no turn signals, no gas gauge, no speedo, no tach, etc. I waited waited waited until 12:30 and then said to heck with it (in stronger language of course).  I waited over three weeks for the cam covers to be done and by God I was getting them today to uplift what has been a depressing week on Dodge drama and little to no progress on the Subaru (due to the Dodge drama).

So I set off in the Dodge to get to the place in Mukilteo by 4:30 pm before they close. Not open Saturday so Monday would be the next opportunity. I filled the truck full so watching the gauge was no problem and I had the GPS to tell me my speed. For signals I resorted to the old fashion arm signals to indicate which way I was turning.

The first bit of good luck came when I pulled up just in time for the Kingston ferry to Edmonds ferry. I was sure I was going to have to wait an hour at least but I got right on. It was almost 3pm when I arrived at the destination in Mukilteo. I was anxiously contemplating the result all the way up there. Just the thought of the cam covers made me happy inside.

I walked up to the counter and the lady handed me what looked like prime steaks from the butcher wrapped in brown outer paper with white tissue inside. "Take a look" she said. She didn't have to ask me twice.

So I carefully peeled back the brown paper, then the tissues, and paused for a moment.I think i felt a tear roll down my cheek as I gazed upon this:

112_0040.jpg

112_0041.jpg

112_0042.jpg

That is why a dirty greasy engine bay just will not do. I don't want my 20th anniversary engine bling getting messy.  I am even watching my fingerprints. :lol:

All I could say over and over was "These are better than new from the factory!" with an awestruck look on my face.  :o

I left there at 3:15 pm headed south to the Tacoma Harbor Freight, the only store that had an ODBII code reader with ABS that they had on sale.  I was giddy as a school girl all they way even though it took me almost 4 hours in traffic to get there. Who'd a thunk a little chrome could be so therapeutic? All the time I was driving using my arm signals no longer angered me. I felt like this:

I made it to Tacoma Harbor Freight, got the OBDII scanner, proved that it was the cluster at fault in the Dodge and headed back home. Other than no speedo, gas gauge, tach, cruise control, turn signals, temp gauge, charge indicator, oil pressure gauge or wipers - the truck ran fine. The trans shifted fine. It was the cluster internally couldn't talk to others, not the bus being down despite the "No Bus" message in the odometer window.  Being able to get communication with the PCM (powertrain control module) and TCM (trans control module) using the scanner was proof it was the cluster and not the entire bus. And there were no codes returned either.  Yes, I had proven that I was in deed "Cluster F***ed", so off I went with arm signals heading home.

When I arrived back home (about 8 pm) , there were two big boxes waiting for me on my porch. One had the eBay Dodge instrument cluster, which I immediately installed (took 10 min). IT ALL WORKS! All computer in the Dodge now talk nicely. I got turn signals, gas gauge, speedo, wipers, temp, charge gauges and even cruise control works! I can say for certain had I taken it to the Dodge stealership, I wouldn't get out for less than $800-$1000. My eBay cluster costs $75. Only thing is now my 40,000 miles says 203,000 miles, lol. But I will send the cluster back east for reprogramming.

The other box had this:

112_0038.jpg

For all the frustration that was this week with the Dodge drama, this day made it all better. Saturday I am getting the head bolts and starting to put the engine back together.

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 3

Long years ago, I saved a Photo of a equally Shiny covers on a Blue EA82 engine (Let me Search it, I'll share it here soon) and I asked (also in Facebook) about how they made those covers to shine like that; was it Chrome? ... the answer then was "This is not Chrome, 'cos it won't hold good on Aluminium" and they said it should be some kind of Polishment.

So, I was curious about how you get to Chrome yours.

Kind Regards.

Well this is definitely chrome. Yes, you can plate chrome onto aluminum. Not sure where you were told it was not possible. Heck you can even plate chrome onto plastic (hmm scratches his head...). ;)

Here is the place that did the work:

http://queencityplating.com/

Looking at the website, I think the reason your facebook friend couldn't get chrome to stick was poor surface preparation. Aluminum can be porous and so just plating over it directly would probably not work well. Queen City spends a lot of time doing surface prep, thus the 4 week wait. When done right, there is just as much artistry and craftsmanship involved as there is chemistry. And it ain't cheap! But can one really put a price on beauty? I think not!

Edited by MR_Loyale

no matter how hard I look at those shiny rocker covers - still can't see my own reflection ?? :)

I think you will find chrome sticks well to a base coat of copper plating. Again, I think plastics that have been chromed, as well as your alloy parts, get a copper plating first .

Dizzy housing could do with same treatment :)

Nice ....now starting to see my own image - green tinge about it  :D :D

Built and installed a wood roof rack. I got creative and didi it real cheap!. I like the look but its just temporary until I can afford a real one ha ha. But it was a fun project! Only thing missing is a cargo net that im going to attach to the hooks.

post-48958-0-64844300-1404612347_thumb.jpg

post-48958-0-54841300-1404612380_thumb.jpg

post-48958-0-95174700-1404612403_thumb.jpg

post-48958-0-49030300-1404612431_thumb.jpg

After putting about 2k troublefree miles on my EA82 wagon post-engine pull/rebuild, I started the job of pulling the dash to clean the HVAC ducts,etc. due to a mice infestation. The car had sit for 6-7 years before I got it.

I'm down to pulling the center stack/heater box and I'm having a heck of a time getting it out. I've got the 2 10mm bolts out of the top and the heater core disconnected but having trouble clearing everything to get it out. As far as I can tell I need to pull the heater core lines thru the firewall at the same time as I'm pulling the box over that lower "mount" it sits on. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right.... :)

Made it to the stealership yesterday. Picked up the headbolts, got the throwout bearing carrier clips. Made a trip to Pick N Pull in OR where I found my white Loyale Sedan's twin. Wanted a good white grill. Got there and it wasn't as good as in the pics, but I found a FACTORY FRESH quality front seat. Yeah, it IS that good. The car only had 72K miles when it went to the junkers (sniff). From what I can tell the people just didn't want it anymore. The engine in it looks good to me. Anyhow, know all the buttons for the ac and temp selection and how they are all washed out from years of use? Well these ones are like factory, so I grabbed them to put in my white Loyale. That was Saturday.

Oh and today I got this:

Copy_of_4wd_loyale_sedan.jpg

FINALLY! I got an AWD Subaru!!! :headbang::clap::banana:

Only took 20 years. My cherry is popped and I am now officially a Subaru whore. :lol:

Edited by MR_Loyale

MR LOYALE. You are doing an excellent job! Keep it up!

I drilled out another pair of hubs properly this time. 

Thanks man. Fun fact: I bought that Loyale new, in Spokane from Camp Subaru in 1994. In 2012, while visiting a friend in Spokane, I called them to look ( wink wink, yeah I was ready to buy) at the new Impreza's.  I showed up and no one would see me! Could have sold another Subaru and got my praises, but instead they now get my scorn. "We're family" etc BS is just that BS. They could care less about you at the stealerships, especially Camp Subaru stealership.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Over the long weekend, I finished putting the PandaWagon's engine back together and installed it in between the monsoon downpours. Drove her to Bisbee and back - no problems. Yesterday, I put about 200 miles on her, no more overheating. :)

Edited by subynut
  • Like 1

Started chasing electrical gremlins in the new 4wd Sedan. I solved the mystery of the fading charge, brake and parking indicator lights. During idle they would all glow faintly. Increasing the revs would make them glow a bit more. Further increasing revs made them go out until about 2000 revs where they ca,e back on and fluttered.

Swapped out the alternator with the one from uno that was lying around and it fixed the issue. Now I have to figure out the tail light situation.

Uno is going back together. This weekend I will make major progress with installation on the heads. Just don't want to tackle that job when I am tired after work.

Got the exhaust leak in Ash repaired tonight after work. Turns out it was a bad gasket

112_0064.jpg

I took one of Uno's gaskets since he is apart right now. I will be ordering brand spanky new one for Uno anyway. Ash gets the hand me downs from Uno. So far Ash has received an alternator and exhaust gasket for the passenger side.

Edited by MR_Loyale