Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

From Amazon.  It works well.  Seems pretty accurate.  There is a ground wire that comes off of it and when its grounded it turns on.  Will probably put a small switch on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Xscorpion-DBT024RP-Platinum-Terminal-Terminals/dp/B001RRU726/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1411448322&sr=8-9&keywords=battery+terminal+gauge

• Like 1

I sorta ghetto repaired my doughnut gasket. I really really hate doughnut gaskets, but the exhaust should flex there so I'm probably just gonna weld in a flex joint. Seriously, doughnut gaskets in the rust belt are the worst thing, they rust out every 2 years....

Or just put stacks through the hood with tractor flappers and be done messing with the exhaust forever  :P

Edited by 987687

Did "some" welding to my leone. Its been sitting pretty long now and it would be nice to get it going some day. Previous owner had done some shitty repairs and just used a lot of filler to hide the rust. So I found a lot of not so nice suprises under it. But anyway the back arches are now welded and altought looks nasty without the cosmetic repairs done yet I should get it going now if I find the cash to take it inspected. 

Some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbm8jude8v0p425/2014-09-21%2014.58.27.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/45br9z8l68o2bkr/2014-09-21%2014.58.02.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu30yfgxomqjxs8/2014-09-21%2014.57.31.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tojegc4u739qcar/2014-09-21%2014.57.09.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo7q43ja837kqeq/2014-09-20%2015.29.57.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx6h776we5io165/2014-09-19%2019.48.11.jpg?dl=0

I'm starting to think I need to collect all the pics together and start a thread about this build altought it's not happening very fast.

Edited by -tombba-

Well I found out that PB blaster takes fresh undercoating off gas tanks..  I was cleaning it up so I didn't have a ugly dirty tank in my car now that my parts list is coming together.  So I went to clean up where is bubbled and ran with Brake clean (it was All I had) and that took the rest of it off as well as quite a bit more.  At least it didn't remove the rust encapsulator I coated the tank with first to stop the minute traces of spot rust and prevent further breakouts. Then I re-coated the afflicted area. Now I must wait for the next dry enough day to go out and finish putting the new tank in.  I hate delays.

• Like 1

Pulled the engine. Swapped the flywheel (for one that has timing marks), did the rear main seal, both camshaft seals, removed inner timing belt covers (outer covers were already removed), valve cover gaskets, oil pump seals, and reset the timing. Took me about 10 hours, start to finish. Most difficult part was mating the engine up to the transmission. It just would not go in.

10717676_10203775211674520_79819934_n_zp

10709579_10203775211714521_2064430562_o_

10707624_10203775211394513_314143393_o_z

Edited by jj421
  • Like 3

I put the transmission in gear and put a breaker bar on the crank. As I'm pushing the engine into the transmission I rotate the crank just a tiny bit back and forth, that mates up the splines and it goes right together. I've done tons of subaru engine swap, never once had a hint of a problem mating them.

• Like 2

Same thing works for trans swaps, just in reverse. Have the trans in a gear, then I have a piece of driveshaft I cut off, so it's just a stub that goes into the trans. This keeps oil from draining on my face, but also as I'm pushing the trans into the engine I can rotate it to mate the splines. Works a treat every time!

Ive been dealing with the rodents that think my GL is section 8 housing. Its usually chipmunks that wreak havoc, but this time I caught a packrat (picture a mouse but 10x the size) that was living in the plenum, with an old Victor rat trap...

Now i have the seats and dashboard out...havent quite got the plenum disassembled for cleaning. And im going to replace the 30 year old heater core while im in there. Freakin rodents.

I talked myself into attempting to refurbish the dashboard since its out as well. Its in such bad shape. Huge cracks across the top and all that. Im going to try filling the cracks with low expansion foam, level it all out with coarse sandpaper, skim the foam with caulking, level it all out again, then apply a few coats of duplicolor bed liner, then finish it all off with matte/satin tan paint. Hopefully it'll turn out okay. Cant look much worse than it does now.

And ill take pics!

Got myself a 92 legacy wagon ( thank you ferox) for around town/getting to work transportation, at least until I rewire my brats now crispy rad fan power lines. I also want it so I can trace down where some wires on my other hatchbacks ej swap go. Pretty sure I've entered the realm of way to many cars

I also recently chopped my brats front apart and put tubed steel bumpers in the front and back I also a four bar of lights on top of my brat( thank you again belacane, they look bitchin)

Edited by sumoco

And there's this...

DSC03276.jpg

I like that factory headunit. Are they hard to find over there?

Looks much better than any factory offering available here.

Cool looking sound system! Love it!

I'm planning/hoping to do similar with my Samsung Q1U UMPC (Tablet computer) for the MP3 player - IF and when I can get back to working on it.

Everything has been conspiring against my projects and needed repairs, all stacking up, and a serious lack of work and money
causing me to live right on the very edge. Even the very ownership vs. having to potentially sell  my Subaru Brat, has been keeping me up at night. My practical life has been very much in the balance, not a single day of work in about a month!

Seriously, I have little respect for some of those people who stand at the corner with a cardboard sign wanting money, (one wanted an air conditioner) and in my worst times I would not do same, not for pride but just because I use my wits instead, but if it came right down to it, I would do it, -but ONLY to save my Brat!

I will go without, without EATING if I have to! I MUST save and preserve my Brat at all costs!
Today was a good day, earned some money, enough to keep gas in my tank anyway, and someone FINALLY answered my ad in Craigslist for the shell/canopy I have been trying to get rid of - waiting on their email reply now. - Although its only for a lousy $40.00, but its better than having to throw it away.

If I can get some steady work, I can get caught up on rapairs, and start making my Brat twice as way-cool as it already is! lol.

The other day, I had that aweful feeling in my stomach, that feeling when you suddenly realize you are in a lot of trouble, or left your wallet or laptop somehwere where it would certainly disappear, and feeling it because I was having to seriously think about the possibility of having to sell my precious Brat, a couple of guys in a car in the next lane were getting my attention, smiling, giving me very enthusiastic 'thumbs-up's, and when we were stopped at the light, they said "Awsome ride dude! - Awesome ride!" - It did me real good. A whole 'nother feeling came over me, and a smile came to my face, and the feeling of "NEVER!" - Never!!!  God gave me this Brat, and the world shall not take it away!!!

Edited by Subaruist